Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 16, 2008, 06:28 PM
Rookie

Default Asus P5Q Deluxe SATA problems

Hi,

I am wondering if anyone out there with the P5Q Deluxe (non wifi version) has ever encountered a problem with the mobo's SATA ports (SATA3 and SATA6 in my case) disconnecting a short time after booting into windows?

I am not running a RAID setup, just as SATA IDE based drives.

During bootup and in the BIOS, whatever is connected to either of these 2 ports shows up correctly. And when I finally get into Vista64 or XP Pro for that matter, the HDD's connected to these ports show up and I can access the drives. However, sometimes in as little as a minute or even 1/2 hour later, the HDD will disappear/disconnect and the system temporarily freezes then everything resumes like nothing happened at all, with missing HDD's of course.

It doesn't matter what HDD I install on it either. I have tested 6 different hard drives on these ports and they all eventually behave in a similar manner, so I have ruled out a hard drive problem.

I am wondering if it's just a faulty mobo. I was going to try flashing the bios (as I am still running on the original 0605 version that came with the board), but instead my solution has been to put a PROMISE SATA2 card I have, and just leave it at that. However, it would still be nice if I could utilize all 6 SATA ports on the mobo instead of just 4 of them.

Any info/insight would be appreciated. Thanks!

RVS1111
Old September 17, 2008, 06:51 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

list your rig, sounds like it is either the mobo malfunctioning, or perhaps your running out of juice?

Does it fail after running something power intensive? (running the gpu or cpu heavy)

Do you have another psu lying around to try?

Unplug anything not needed and see if it still fails.

Try running those hard drives off a different power rail, it could be a malfunctioned psu, that only effects one set of cables.

vista 64 on these rigs
Q9450 @ 3.5Ghz | E8400 @ 4.2Ghz
8gb Muskin Redline. | 2gb Kingston Hyperx
________________________________|_________________ ______________
EVGA 780i FTW ----\--||___||--/---- EVGA 780i SLI
Antec TP Quatro 1000W \ :==^==: / Antec TP Quatro 850W.
Nvidia 9800 GX2 X 2 SLI \|--o--|/ Nvidia 8800 GTS X 2 SLI
1X 500GB Western Digital. \_____/ 3X 150GB WD RAPTOR RAID-0
Old September 17, 2008, 09:06 PM
Rookie

Hi tzetsin,

Thanks for your input.

I'm concluding that the mobo is the culprit.

SATA3 and/or SATA6 no longer register any connection either during POST, inside the BIOS or in Vista.

I tried your suggestions by swapping out PSU's - used 3 different models hooking up to the different 12V rails, nothing showing up.

I also tried having absolutely the bare minimum peripherals connected to the mobo - just videocard and a HDD hooked to the questionable SATA port, nothing shows up.

Thanks for your help :)

RVS1111
Old September 18, 2008, 06:23 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

I would so update that bios, and see if it does it again it doesnt sound like a bios issue but hey updating the bios would not hurt.
Mushkin Ascent Redline 8000 4gb DDR2 @ 1066 5-5-5-15 2.05v
OCZ 600W GameXstream
Seagate 7200.11 500gb
Seagate 7200.10 320gb
Antec Spot Cool
Logitech X-230
Samsung 32" 720P HDTV

Coolermaster Cosmos S/
Swiftech Mcp655/ MCR-320-QP/ 6X Noctua NF-P12'S/ Swiftech Apogee GT/ Swiftech Mcw-60/ Swiftech Micro-Res.

Old September 18, 2008, 08:57 AM
F@H

My System Specs

If updating the BIOS doesn't solve anything, try resetting the CMOS too. If they still don't work, I'd definitely RMA the motherboard since clearly it's prone to fail eventually as that would mean the southbridge is faulty or somehow the traces on the motherboard are broken.
Old September 18, 2008, 01:39 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

+1 for RMA mobo. rma is a pain in the A$$ but jdrom is right, once things start failing other things tend to follow the trend.

vista 64 on these rigs
Q9450 @ 3.5Ghz | E8400 @ 4.2Ghz
8gb Muskin Redline. | 2gb Kingston Hyperx
________________________________|_________________ ______________
EVGA 780i FTW ----\--||___||--/---- EVGA 780i SLI
Antec TP Quatro 1000W \ :==^==: / Antec TP Quatro 850W.
Nvidia 9800 GX2 X 2 SLI \|--o--|/ Nvidia 8800 GTS X 2 SLI
1X 500GB Western Digital. \_____/ 3X 150GB WD RAPTOR RAID-0