What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Network LAN driver won't show in Device Manager, can't connect

Cypher^64

Can you install cpu-z and post screen shots of the motherboard tab, generally BIOS ID check errors occur when trying to flash the incorrect Bios.

Also, when you are trying to flash the bios, are you putting the file on a usb flash drive or trying from an internal drive?

Last edited:

Dave Simpson

Can you install cpu-z and post screen shots of the motherboard tab, generally BIOS ID check errors occur when trying to flash the incorrect Bios.

Also, when you are trying to flash the bios, are you putting the file on a usb flash drive or trying from an internal drive?

I was able to update the bios, after I RTFM🤦‍♂️I hadn't realized that the usb stick had to be used with the "Q-flash" port in the rear. Previously, I had used a port in the front. Duhh. Anyway, the bios is updated to the latest version...and there's still no ethernet option in device manager. Fun fact: the manual for the motherboard says there's a whole section about the Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller in the bios: "This sub-menu provides information on LAN configuration and related configuration options." But no, this section isn't there.

I can only conclude that this function of the motherboard is pooched, so I guess I've hit the end of the road with this. Thank you for all your help and suggestions, everyone!

moocow

Did a quick Google and seems to be not a unique case. I suggest send the board back for RMA and in the meanwhile buy a different board and resell the RMA one when it comes back. If you can't RMA it, then just get a proper Intel network card.

Dave Simpson

The pc is a pre-built from Canada Computers two years ago, purchased for me as a gift, so I don't think I have a whole lot of recourse here. I'll make do with wi-fi, at least for now. Thanks again.

Cptn Vortex

Definitely sounds like a dead NIC on the board. You can get a cheapo PCIe 1gbps card on amazon for around $20, or $35 for a 2.5gbps. Probably the quickest way to get yourself up and going with wired ethernet.

Dave Simpson

Has it worked in the past?

Honestly...I'm not sure. I only recall that when I set it up, I plugged the ethernet cable into the back of the pc, and I off i went. It wasn't until probably a month later that I noticed the wifi indicator in the taskbar and not the ethernet indicator. At that time, I checked device manager, there was no Realtek driver. It wasn't until yesterday that I got around to looking into it. My fault for ignoring the problem.

Dave Simpson

Definitely sounds like a dead NIC on the board. You can get a cheapo PCIe 1gbps card on amazon for around $20, or $35 for a 2.5gbps. Probably the quickest way to get yourself up and going with wired ethernet.

Thanks for the suggestion! 🙌

Latest posts