Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Suggestions & Feedback (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/suggestions-feedback/)
-   -   Double space after periods (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/suggestions-feedback/61129-double-space-after-periods.html)

Fleurious May 8, 2013 10:31 AM

Double space after periods

Single space after. Double space after. End.

I just noticed that it removes that the second space automatically. I find things are a lot easier to follow with the double space after periods.

Me after noticing --> :shok:

lowfat May 8, 2013 10:42 AM

FYI double spacing after a period is no longer considered correct.

great_big_abyss May 8, 2013 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lowfat (Post 707733)
FYI double spacing after a period is no longer considered correct.

Really? Since when? I've always used it. It's been part of my typing habits for years.

enaberif May 8, 2013 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by great_big_abyss (Post 707742)
Really? Since when? I've always used it. It's been part of my typing habits for years.

Two spaces after a period: Why you should never, ever do it. - Slate Magazine

Caldezar May 8, 2013 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by great_big_abyss (Post 707742)

The double space rule existed when typesetting was a nightmare for printed media. But with the advent of modern word processing and auto typesetting, it's been ousted. I don't think I've double spaced since before I finished high school... and that was a LONG time ago.

great_big_abyss May 8, 2013 11:49 AM

Hmm, makes sense...

Quote:

The problem with typewriters was that they used monospaced type—that is, every character occupied an equal amount of horizontal space. This bucked a long tradition of proportional typesetting, in which skinny characters (like I or 1) were given less space than fat ones (like W or M). Monospaced type gives you text that looks "loose" and uneven; there's a lot of white space between characters and words, so it's more difficult to spot the spaces between sentences immediately. Hence the adoption of the two-space rule—on a typewriter, an extra space after a sentence makes text easier to read. Here's the thing, though: Monospaced fonts went out in the 1970s. First electric typewriters and then computers began to offer people ways to create text using proportional fonts. Today nearly every font on your PC is proportional. (Courier is the one major exception.) Because we've all switched to modern fonts, adding two spaces after a period no longer enhances readability, typographers say. It diminishes it.
I'm going to have a hard time breaking the habit.

Kerry D May 8, 2013 12:18 PM

Wait, so it's wrong in a marketing setting to use a double space and Slate.com says it's wrong too? Wouldn't that make the double space correct?

JD May 8, 2013 01:09 PM

I don't think HTML code has ever allowed for double spaces, at all, unless you used the special character &nbsp twice. Thus why the forum has never done it either.

Fleurious May 8, 2013 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JD (Post 707775)
I don't think HTML code has ever allowed for double spaces, at all, unless you used the special character &nbsp twice. Thus why the forum has never done it either.

Can't believe I've gone so long without even noticing. I always read my posts again after posting to catch all my mistakes. I bet I've gone back and added spaces after periods without even realizing they were getting removed every time I hit submit.

I'll stick with my double spacing as I think it reads better and even though it doesn't show up after posting I will double space on these forums anyways :haha:.

I wonder what slate magazine thinks of split infinitives and semicolons.

great_big_abyss May 8, 2013 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fleurious (Post 707782)
I wonder what slate magazine thinks of split infinitives and semicolons.

I know they want to get rid of the 'Caps Lock' key. Which is fine in most applications. Truly, when do you really have to type in all Caps.

Except in drafting. Convention has it that all text on working drawings be in capital letters...