Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS NEWS > Suggestions & Feedback

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 8, 2013, 03:54 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

MLA says to use one space, but two isn't disallowed unless specifically stated by the publisher.

Crazy.
Old May 8, 2013, 06:35 PM
Allstar

okay....doublespace doesn't diminish readability in the slightest. if you can't keep your attention span up for the time it takes to gaze over two white spaces, that's your fault.

double space ENHANCES readability because it follows the conventions of speech*. you PAUSE after a period for longer than you do after a comma.

* yes, I'm aware that written text and speech use different grammar patterns, but a space is not a 'grammar'

then again, people add 'and' after a period. How someone thought that was a good idea - i do not know.

EDIT: is there a good article for arguments for putting and after periods?
Old May 8, 2013, 07:12 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I sometimes use 'and' to start a sentence in real life; perhaps a semi-colon would be more suitable in some cases. I understand there are other things that could be said such as 'In addition' and using and is sort of wrong. But bite me. :P

RE: double spacing/monospaced/whatever
for my IRC client I used to use OCR A Extended, but then I came across Nouveau IBM! When my notebook was running windows 7 I had switched all the system fonts over to OCR A Extended and it was awesome. However some things are not designed with monospaced fonts in mind so the occasional program was a little messed up. :(
I did not use Windows 8 for long with everything monospaced as it did not seem to work quite as well as in Win7 but I probably just missed some registry entry or something.

About double spacing, sometimes I do it sometimes not. In IRC I do not bother because things are rarely a huge wall of text. On forums it does not work, etc.
I do not do it on my cute little portable typewriter (Smith Corona Corsair) because I do not do any real writing on it; It is mostly used just for shopping lists because there is nothing much else I really put down on real paper that would be worth using a typewriter for.
Old May 27, 2013, 12:45 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfat View Post
FYI double spacing after a period is no longer considered correct.
By who? I think it's changed in forums though just to save a few bytes from being sent each time.

Languages change all the time, but soon it will be a total mess of

lol ty btw 8 np ... And as the language shrinks so does thought capacity.

I pity the fools, 2x+good (double plus good)
Old May 27, 2013, 01:30 PM

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by TedShackley View Post
By who? I think it's changed in forums though just to save a few bytes from being sent each time.

Languages change all the time, but soon it will be a total mess of

lol ty btw 8 np ... And as the language shrinks so does thought capacity.

I pity the fools, 2x+good (double plus good)
There are posts and links on the first page regarding it. It was only meant to be used w/ typewriters and not on a computer.
Old May 27, 2013, 04:41 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Well.........You learn something new every day.