Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS NEWS > Suggestions & Feedback

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 5, 2013, 09:49 AM

My System Specs

The only issue I have with the current reviews are the video reviews. Honestly I won't watch them just like every video review out there. Some people like me just don't have the patience to sit through a 5 to 10 minute video review. Having a bunch of pictues and basic text would IMO be a great addition.
Old February 5, 2013, 10:34 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

A couple thoughts for your consideration:

1. I am all for updating how reviews are carried out to keep with current trends, but please stick with a new method once it is chosen (for a little while at least), so that information from one review can be compared to the next (some sites seem to change their technique monthly).

2. I understand most graphics cards reviewed are mid to high end, and that you cannot test for every variable, but I feel low to mid-range GPU should still be tested with AA disabled (no real point for high end gpu). Realistically its likely that AA would be one of the first settings disabled to attain sufficient fps if they are lacking, or have a memory limiting gpu (frequency or quantity). Maybe set a dollar value for if it gets tested as such or not (maybe $150 as a cap).

3. Video reviews. CPU/GPU/Ram/HDD/SSD I don't really see the point for videos at all. Cases are a great item for video reviews. Personally I like videos in reviews, but not an entirely video review. Example would be a written portion of the review that contains details about case features, connectivity, build quality, ease of use, conclusion, pros and cons. Then the video could be shorter, show the case in detail (a picture is worth a thousand words), and visually point out issues or pros (such as why cable management was difficult or easy). That all said I do really like the current video case reviews and watch them all, but I like some of the hard data in writing (a page or two would suffice).

4. Fans. Case fans and cpu coolers seem to be a hot item of discussion lately and I suggest they become a reviewed item. Many sites drag the reviews out in my opinion, and I think they could realistically be short and effective. An accurate measure of airflow and fan noise at approx 3 voltages would be all that is required (maybe 12v, 9v, and 7v). On top of that a quick video of the fan operating and a description of its noise subjectively would finish it off. If you wanted to take it a step above it could be tested with no restriction (open air) and with resistance (such as attached to a common air cooler or rad).

5. I think it is an excellent decision to expand out into laptops etc as there is a lack of proper reviews, IMO, and the overall trend is a push away from desktop computers. This expansion should help bring more numbers to HWC.

These are just a few points that came to mind on the subject. I am not really sure if any of them will be of interest or not, but I thought I would bring it up anyway. I look forward to all future reviews from HWC.
Old February 5, 2013, 10:48 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

When I leave HWC it's usually to use a site that is a hardware comparison site. I need to figure out what my client can expect from an upgrade.

I don't know how much effort this would be, but for instance, when doing a review for the new GTX660 card maybe add a blurb near the end that explains a rough guesstimate of what the card would do by generational differences.

IE: The 660 is roughly 1.25x faster than the GTX560, 1.5 times faster than the GTX460, and 2x faster than the GTX260.

Again, I don't know if that's easy to do or not, but it would give me a general idea of the card on a bang for the buck level.
Old February 5, 2013, 10:54 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perineum View Post
When I leave HWC it's usually to use a site that is a hardware comparison site. I need to figure out what my client can expect from an upgrade.

I don't know how much effort this would be, but for instance, when doing a review for the new GTX660 card maybe add a blurb near the end that explains a rough guesstimate of what the card would do by generational differences.

IE: The 660 is roughly 1.25x faster than the GTX560, 1.5 times faster than the GTX460, and 2x faster than the GTX260.

Again, I don't know if that's easy to do or not, but it would give me a general idea of the card on a bang for the buck level.
Actually that's a good point. People often ask how is x better than y. Or should I buy CPU A or B for a gaming only computer. Usually I get a link for them that benchmarks those two against each other specifically. Its a useful feature that I use often.
Old February 5, 2013, 02:35 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

If the benchmarks can be kept consistent, then perhaps the hardware comparison chart that HWC started at one point could be revived.

I think perhaps that mobile devices (smartphones, tablets) might be covered more. The Note 1 and 2 got some decent coverage on here...as a techie at my workplace, I get asked more about mobile devices now than I do about desktops and laptops. If this direction is not in the cards right now in HWC's development, then its something to keep in mind...MS seems to think mobile devices are the way to go, as evidenced by their move to Metro. Desktops and laptops will be around for a long time, but I just see mobile devices eating up tech budgets of home and businesses more and more. If Apple/BB/Samsung can get some great docking solutions into the imaginations of folks, then the pace will only pick up. Apple might be in the best position to start a 'mobile docking station' trend.

If you want to stick to the PC side of things, you may want to look more at:
1. How-to guides (ie. SSD's, home theatre/media streaming, video conversion, adding additional storage to a laptop, etc)
2. Reviews of various cloud services and such that allow media consumption and sharing between mobiles and PCs, etc. Perhaps comparisons of the various cloud storage, office apps, etc.

I agree with what has been posted for the most part...just throwing another mobile angle out there.

As for the specific format of the reviews, perhaps a written review with some videos loaded throughout. The work involved in that though is something to behold for sure. Can't have it all.
Fold for team #54196
Old February 19, 2013, 12:42 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

How about a review of each new game(or at least popular titles) on AMD vs Nvidia .. have a stock 670 and 7950 and just bench 1 game (or a few games at a time) to compare how each card handles it.
This could be very useful in suggesting cards to people. it would give an insight as to where each line has advantages / disadvantages.

Could do the same on intel vs AMD.. 2 or 4 popular chips and see how they fair (3570k, 8350, i3 xxx vs Phenom 2 or something else)?
Old February 19, 2013, 09:25 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

I would like to see some long term peripheral reviews, as I have purchased a couple things that had very good reviews, then 3 months later hundreds of people are having the same issues.
Old February 19, 2013, 11:17 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

There is only so much you can do with that though as if your using something long-term it really limits how many reviews you can do
If your not a big fan of the device anyway then I don't see people keeping using them till they show issues. (see roccat Kone+ mouse-wheel, great mouse till the wheel breaks.)