Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS NEWS > Suggestions & Feedback

View Poll Results: Would you like to see F@h numbers in every CPU review?
I would like F@h to be included as benchmark in CPU reviews 19 95.00%
I would not like F@h to be included as benchmark in CPU reviews 1 5.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 20, 2013, 05:29 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default F@h as discipline when reviewing CPUs?

You guys think it would be nice to have some results from F@h when reviewing new CPUs? SKYMTL did a good job posting F@h numbers for the Vishera review, but wouldn't you like to see numbers for every CPU that gets reviewed on HWC?
Old January 20, 2013, 05:57 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

that would be nice but I am thinking that it would also be a hasle for the reviewers becasue they would need to reinstall and setup fah as well as the other software.
Old January 20, 2013, 06:06 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

Takes seconds to install FAH - what they'd need to do is secure a few WUs (CPU and GPU) and re-fold without submitting them for consistency. Otherwise the variation between WUs (even of the same batch) could skew the results.
Old January 21, 2013, 04:01 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
Takes seconds to install FAH - what they'd need to do is secure a few WUs (CPU and GPU) and re-fold without submitting them for consistency. Otherwise the variation between WUs (even of the same batch) could skew the results.
Really important point!

And as my cpu folds A LOT more than it do anything else, yes i'd like to know hat kind of ppd to expect when it is upgrade time.
Old January 21, 2013, 04:11 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I think it would be great, but you would hAve to find a way to get consistency.
Old January 21, 2013, 04:21 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

I'm all ears if someone could post a way to use the same WU in three months that I download today.
Old January 21, 2013, 05:32 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
If you want to experiment (...), you can "capture a WU" and let your system fold it. Do remember that you will not get any points for it. You can capture a WU by copying the entire SMP2 directory while the WU is being folded. You will have to reconfigure the Client and set this option (in advance configuration):
Quote:
Ignore any deadline information (mainly useful if
system clock frequently has errors) (no/yes) [no]?
Set it to "Yes". You can then hold this WU indefinitely and use it to test your system. In the Work folder, you can keep only wudata_0X.dat and wuinfo_0X.dat files and delete the rest so it will fold from the start. (This may vary from version to version and I tested it with v6.30). I also choose to block the Client from internet connection to ensure that it won't connect to the Servers.
Folding Forum ? View topic - Guide For Running bigadv On Windows Natively (A3 Core)

This set of instructions was written using the V6 Client, which has been a while since I used it. For a GPU Client, the 'SMP2' folder should be named 'GPU'. The 'Work' folder remains the same. For consistency, I would let the WU be folded for 10 frames, since the tpf (time-per-frame) can vary ever so slightly. Once you have an average tpf, this site could be used to calculate an average ppd (points per day): Folding@home Bonus Point Calculator
Old January 21, 2013, 05:46 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

I believe I tried that for the Vishera review with the V7 client. I'll have to try it again.
Old January 21, 2013, 06:02 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Yeah, I have V7 installed ATM and can't find the 'SMP2' folder equivalent. It's not in neither Program Files, nor in Program Data. Maybe DT or 10e know more about the V7.
Old January 21, 2013, 06:47 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
Yeah, I have V7 installed ATM and can't find the 'SMP2' folder equivalent. It's not in neither Program Files, nor in Program Data. Maybe DT or 10e know more about the V7.
I've succesfully backed-up a wu, uninstalled v7 altogether, deleted any traces, started fresh, and after it created every slot (i had 4 gpus and a cpu, so 5 slots from 00 to 04), merged my backup with the gpu's slot i wanted to use specifically after adjusting it's "name" (slot's number). It worked at my scale of a few hours of gpu overclocking, so it might work for you, but after months i don't know. Maybe the client gets some update that'll screw when it detects the wu "age"...