Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS NEWS > Suggestions & Feedback

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 6, 2012, 09:59 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Default 2 P, 4 P motherboard or Server Section

I have been more than curious about upgrading to a 2P or 4P system for folding lately.
(Curse that bigadvantage addiction)
With that premise in mind,I find it difficult to gather intel on the multi processor success stories on the forum whether its on the best hardware or setting it up for normal/ OC'd operations.
Could a Multi proccessor section or subsection be a valid channel in your forum?

Edit: Cmetaphor requested this in 2009, I still cant seem to find the section(s) that were created.

Last edited by Shredder; August 6, 2012 at 10:07 AM. Reason: Dug deeper, found request had previously been suggested
Old August 6, 2012, 10:11 AM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

The limited number of members with MPs did / does not warrant its own section. You can dig through the Folding section though, this is were most of the MP fun happens.
Old August 6, 2012, 11:35 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Cool Charlie
Old August 6, 2012, 04:33 PM
Quadfather

My System Specs

Intel MP will always cost more though, just FYI. Thats why most go for the cheaper opterons with as many or more cores.
Old August 6, 2012, 04:58 PM

My System Specs

We would probably get away w/ a 2p/4p official thread. Not enough traffic for an entire subforum.
Old August 6, 2012, 05:07 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I don't think it could hurt to have a thread on the subject. Perhaps something that falls under the folding section.

To OP: I've been running a 4P for about 7-8 months now and have been pretty pleased with the performance/Watt of the machine. I wish I had purchased the 12 core chips instead of the 8's now that I think of it, but if you wanna go with AMD, opteron 6172's or 6174's can be had for a decent price on ebay. Not sure how available the 4P boards are these days though. A 4p with a Supermicro board can be overclocked using the [H] bios, its pretty fun to mess around with that. Intel's SB xeons are an ok choice, but they can't overclock like the lga 1366 chips could with an SR-2. It might be worth waiting to see what AMD and intel have coming in the future and splurge on some top of the line gear when it comes available.

Last edited by dandelioneater; August 6, 2012 at 07:19 PM.