Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS NEWS > Suggestions & Feedback

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 28, 2012, 04:22 PM
Top Prospect

Thumbs up Freecycle Thread?

I realize that in most cases people don't normally free-cycle, or they just post in buy/sell and offer it up as a freebie but hey, a free-cycle thread - its a nice thought right?

It doesn't even necessarily have to be computer parts or software specific, if i were to see a few comics go on freecycle, id snatch em up in a second, likewise i have a few PlayStation 1 games that im sure someone's kid wouldn't mind getting a hold of.

i can see a lot of potential for a freecycle thread and there are many ways that HardwareCanucks can go about this, Thoughts anyone?
Old July 28, 2012, 04:31 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Sounds like a great idea to me at first glance, but on further contemplation it also sounds fraught with pitfalls that (IMO) would require a lot of "judgement call" work for the mods...

First is the question of whether or not buy/sell rules would apply, and then, even if they do, what would we (mods and/or community as a whole) do about the Free"loaders" who ultimately always gravitate to these kinds of things? Imagine the outrage at the first flipper... now consider how we'd deal with it... we already get a lot of pushback when it seems like certain members are flipping items they've bought here even though they aren't breaking any buy/sell rules, I for one wouldn't want to multiply that.

IMO, the best bet would be to create a stanadard WTT thread, and if you want to give it away then say so in there.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP

Last edited by sswilson; July 31, 2012 at 08:38 AM.
Old July 28, 2012, 05:15 PM
Top Prospect

well sswilson, i see what ya mean. but at the same time i feel like many of those problems can potentially be justified.

Quote:
First is the question of whether or not buy/sell rules would apply, and then, even if they do, what would we (mods and/or community as a whole) do about the Free"loaders" who ultimately always gravitate to these kinds of things? Image the outrage at the first flipper... now consider how we'd deal with it... we already get a lot of pushback when it seems like certain members are flipping items they've bought here even though they aren't breaking any buy/sell rules, I for one wouldn't want to multiply that.
Re-looking back at the buy/sell rules i dont see why they couldn't also be applied to a freecycle forum section (minus the legal software bit considering your giving it away?) and although its very true that flippers can cause an issue, i just dont imagine someone giving away something like a gtx 250 etc. Id imagine more along the lines of "i found alot of old gear, my pentium II, voodoo 3 and mx440, if anyone wants them send me a pm" Things of little to no value to most but perfect in that special occasion to someone who could legitimately use it.

Quote:
IMO, the best bet would be to create a stanadard WTT thread, and if you want to give it away then say so in there.
i feel as if this may then clog the buy/sell forums causing a sort of "craigslist" effect (threads being posting, then already being a page back, etc) which im sure many members wouldn't especially want (speaking for myself here, but that's what i imagine)

Furthermore the Buy/sell thread is very (if not completely) tech oriented where as i imagine a freecycle thread may be more open to other things, like comics, old consoles, house material left-overs (paint, 2x4s? etc?)

Its just a thought i suppose. Im no green enthusiast but i do promote the idea that "one man's trash is another man's treasure" ( Ive personally been collecting big speakers that people leave on the road side,i then pull out the speakers themselves to eventually make a large coffee table peice that looks like a giant super surround sound speaker-table-thing)
Old July 31, 2012, 07:56 AM
Rookie

imo, post on bst as giveaways, receiver pays shipping. its been working like that already, so need to change it.

also, a freecycle thread will take away from the integrity of the bst thread.

yes, i propose status quo although i love free stuff.

Tags
free cycle freecycle