Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS NEWS > Suggestions & Feedback

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 6, 2012, 04:24 AM
MVP

Default Allow new users to post WTB in Buy/Sell forums

Hey folks
I am a fairly new poster here but have been coming to the site for years now.
Today I posted a WTB add in the buy/sell forum but got a friendly warning that I hadn't enough posts yet. Thats all fine and well of course.
It would be nice though if new users could post WTB posts since theres no way to do any harm that way. I understand why new people can't sell here of course. That makes perfect sense but for someone like myself who is looking for a specific part itd be a great benefit. I don't want to have to pull 25 posts out of my behind just to be able to post there. I'd rather post threads that are a value to the community. I think having it the way it is now creates unnecessary posts. Folks will post whatever just to get the 25 posts so they can post on there. I don't want to be one of those people but I also don't want to wait forever to build up my posts so I can find the part i want.
Old July 6, 2012, 04:29 AM
F@H

My System Specs

This is a policy that we've had in place for several years, one of which that was requested by the community as they like to see having access to the B/S/T a privilege for being a contributing member to the site. We tend to get reports by long term active members alerting us about people who are breaking our rules (typically the B/S/T rules). Up until recently we had a plugin that actually physically prevented users without 25 posts to even attempt to created a B/S/T Thread.
Old July 6, 2012, 04:37 AM
MVP

I totally understand where there could be problems with users trying to sell or trade, but what harm could someone who wanted to buy cause? Not trying to start an argument just trying to understand this particular part of the policy.

Basically my situation is that I live in St. John's, NL so I can either buy what I want new online(used is fine by me if works), locally (way over priced, due to NL being an island with a small pop and having no competing computer stores), from Ebay(overpriced again) or off Kijiji(locally again, so its a shot in the dark with the low population).

So that leaves me with Hardware Canucks, a well known hardware forums with a well know buy/trade section.

19 more posts to go I guess.

Last edited by igot6strings; July 6, 2012 at 05:26 AM. Reason: accidently deleted original post before last edit lol
Old July 6, 2012, 06:09 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

You can still access the BST forum and send members PM's about items to ask questions or purchase, so it wont stop you from buying at all.

The idea is to prevent a RFD effect of randoms popping on, selling their stuff and never coming back unless they want to sell/but again. We want a community of contributing members here, not a stop-light gathering.
My Disclaimer to any advice or comment I make;
Quote:
Originally Posted by CroSsFiRe2009 View Post
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about
Old July 6, 2012, 07:30 AM
MVP

Yes I agree 100% Sagath. However I am only talking about WTB posts. Nothing at all to do with selling or trading anything. Its impossible to do harm with WTB posts. I don't wish to discuss Selling or Trading in this topic as its completely irrelevant to my suggestion.

It wouldn't have to necessarily have to be open at 0 posts, maybe 10 for WTB would be more fair. 25 for selling is more than reasonable. Its easy to make 10 legit posts in a short time without having to spam up a forum just to make the post count to post in BST.

Having this discussion does help though. I can get legit posts without spamming you guys and get a feel for the place at the same time.
Old July 6, 2012, 07:47 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by igot6strings View Post
Yes I agree 100% Sagath. However I am only talking about WTB posts. Nothing at all to do with selling or trading anything. Its impossible to do harm with WTB posts. I don't wish to discuss Selling or Trading in this topic as its completely irrelevant to my suggestion.

It wouldn't have to necessarily have to be open at 0 posts, maybe 10 for WTB would be more fair. 25 for selling is more than reasonable. Its easy to make 10 legit posts in a short time without having to spam up a forum just to make the post count to post in BST.

Having this discussion does help though. I can get legit posts without spamming you guys and get a feel for the place at the same time.
Same theory though, we would get members who come in literally to do just That. If we wanted to solely be a Computer Hardware version of RFD we would, but what is preferred is that contributing members and established members get to use the forums. Don't look at the BST area as individual tasks to do, rather as a whole area that requires access.
In all honesty I have been Pushing to get the limit raised for more post count before access is granted.

And, spamming the fourms to increase count gets a short trip to a forum vacation here, we frown upon that heavily.

All that said and done, I can tell you from 4 years of trading, that I will sell to, and buy from the person who has a high post count vs anything else. And I bet that feeling is shared heavily with many members here.

Regardless, good luck and enjoy the forums. The count as it stands, will not decrease.

-ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old July 6, 2012, 08:45 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I can see his point.

Although a person could probably get the same effect by starting a thread somewhere other than BST and carefully asking for information on where to get a particular part at a decent price....

Anyway, I definitely agree with the BST rules as it gets rid of a lot of the crap but I feel he's got a bit of a point.

However, getting 25 posts is so ridiculously easy, I don't see a problem either. You just gotta be an opinionated dink like I am
Old July 6, 2012, 09:00 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Who are you guys kidding? There are already handfull of people who ONLY use this forum for BST. 25 posts isn't stopping anything.
Old July 6, 2012, 09:12 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pabz0r545 View Post
Who are you guys kidding? There are already handfull of people who ONLY use this forum for BST. 25 posts isn't stopping anything.
Actually you are incorrect. Because those who want to use and abuse, spam, get banned, and then are never seen again. The only difference is you do not see it, so I am kidding no person. All staff will vouch for that.

Then, for those people who only have 25 posts and are selling buying, well you will see a lot of us veterans not dealing with them. So, it does its job. Its not perfect, but its close.

-ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old July 6, 2012, 09:47 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I'm not saying you can spam 25 posts I am simply saying what Perenium said, it's extremely easy to get your post count to that. Look at the BST I watch it every day several times a day and I'm sure you do too. Personally I think more then 25 should be required but what does that matter . 25 Threads created.

There are definitely a handful of users with a really low post count IMO who don't use the forums for much else then the BST. I'm not saying they spammed their way to 25 and didn't make a single post, they just don't really post much else.... so effectively the low 25 requirement isn't stopping anything.

*edit* LOL as soon as I made above post I checked BST. There is an american user with 25 single sentence posts, not a single thread created selling stuff with a 26 post count. PROOF.

Last edited by Pabz0r545; July 6, 2012 at 09:53 AM.