Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS NEWS > Suggestions & Feedback

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 6, 2012, 09:55 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pabz0r545 View Post
I'm not saying you can spam 25 posts I am simply saying what Perenium said, it's extremely easy to get your post count to that. Look at the BST I watch it every day several times a day and I'm sure you do too. Personally I think more then 25 should be required but what does that matter

There are definitely a handful of users with a really low post count IMO who don't use the forums for much else then the BST. I'm not saying they spammed their way to 25 and didn't make a single post, they just don't really post much else.... so effectively the low 25 requirement isn't stopping anything.

*edit* LOL as soon as I made above post I checked BST. There is an american user with 25 single sentence posts selling stuff with a 26 post count. PROOF.
Some are lurkers too, if you look at statistics server side I bet they are logged in daily and doing the other part of what keeps the site moving. Hit count. You need to look at both sides of the contribution list. That US poster has been a member since 2010, and done a lot of lurking, reading etc.
Nothing wrong with that. His first BST post in 2 years of Membership, and you're complaining?

Ironically it was the forum that decided 25 posts be made mandatory. I do want it revised, and there are several ideas around it, but that is up to the Admin team. I'm not discounting your ideology. I am merely saying your visibility is limited compared to ours so, its easier to want to see a black and white without the grey.

Trust me, the BST is long since due for an overhaul.

-ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old July 6, 2012, 10:04 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I didn't complain once I don't see where you are getting the complaining from. I am simply stating the obvious. I just found it ironic the circumstances of right after we are talking about the situation what I see in the BST. I didn't notice that he had been lurking for 2 years but he could have done in 1 week or 10 days what he did in 2 years.

The BST is simply broken right now.. just like D3 :D.... that is all I was stating.
Old July 6, 2012, 10:07 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pabz0r545 View Post
*edit* LOL as soon as I made above post I checked BST. There is an american user with 25 single sentence posts, not a single thread created selling stuff with a 26 post count. PROOF.
What you and other members can't see is the 15 or so deleted BST threads in the last week and the list in the moderators forum of the users that have started threads without having a 25 post count. We do police the section, contrary to some people's beliefs.

Personally, I'd like to make the BST forum like XS, where you can't even SEE it without hitting a minimum post count. (Theirs is 100, I believe. I don't know, I haven't hit it yet)

Edit: And as for the OP's suggestion, some of the bigger scams we've seen on the board are from WTB threads. "Hey guy, I see you're looking for an iPhone 4 and willing to pay $250. I've got one for sale, just send me the money." Surprise, it never ships.....

Last edited by SugarJ; July 6, 2012 at 10:14 AM.
Old July 6, 2012, 10:14 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I know the forums are moderated and policed quite well here SugarJ, even though I can't see all the deleted threads. I do see no pic warnings and whatnot often.

I guess you guys are misunderstanding what I am saying I don't know how to make it any more clear.

IMO the whole system is broken at the moment(stating the obvious). Even when it wasn't broken it could use some tweaking. It should be made like XS if that is their case. Or like OCN's rep system.
Old July 6, 2012, 10:22 AM
F@H

My System Specs

I'll certainly agree it can use some tweaking. It's sucked for the mods that the plugin for minimum posts has been disabled for the time being. It's quadrupled the amount of threads we have to deal with.

However, the board is driven by hits and views and the BST forum draws the most out of any from what I'm told. Right now, there's 63 members online and 664 guests. Want to guess where a lot of them are browsing? The reviews draw a lot, but so does the BST.
Old July 6, 2012, 10:29 AM
Hall Of Fame

having only 25 posts is bs

make new members send 1$ by paypal just to get real info just in case

evga e760 +920 4.8 water5.0+ on phase linx stable
gtx285 tri-sli
dfi ut-p35 lt
e8600@4.6 1.38v
too much ram
Old July 6, 2012, 10:32 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

This has been done before, as the Staff mentioned it was the users of this forum that pulled for a more closed BST section. I said it then and I will say it again I agree 100 post min and hidden till you get to that count.
But I am a hardass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
My knuckles are bleeding from fishing through walls a new CAT6 network cable... I found fresh, untapped electrical outlets...
"It's all in the Reflexes"-Jack Burton
Old July 6, 2012, 10:42 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supergrover View Post
This has been done before, as the Staff mentioned it was the users of this forum that pulled for a more closed BST section. I said it then and I will say it again I agree 100 post min and hidden till you get to that count.
But I am a hardass.

Like Arinoth has stated, and I have done this on another forum that I Admin on, is make it by permissions only. So it leaves it to the Staff to allow access to the BST forum.

-ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

Old July 6, 2012, 10:46 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soultribunal View Post
Like Arinoth has stated, and I have done this on another forum that I Admin on, is make it by permissions only. So it leaves it to the Staff to allow access to the BST forum.

-ST
I believe that idea was kicked around wayyyy back when and it was determened that could open up member blaming Staff for a bad deal, as in you approved him and was dropped.
You know how many PM's you would be getting a day from member complaining that they were denied access to BST and so and so was?
I remember my time here to well, you would need another hamster for the server just to keep up with the PM's.

Okay slight exaggeration........ but only slightly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
My knuckles are bleeding from fishing through walls a new CAT6 network cable... I found fresh, untapped electrical outlets...
"It's all in the Reflexes"-Jack Burton
Old July 6, 2012, 10:49 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supergrover View Post
I believe that idea was kicked around wayyyy back when and it was determened that could open up member blaming Staff for a bad deal, as in you approved him and was dropped.
You know how many PM's you would be getting a day from member complaining that they were denied access to BST and so and so was?
I remember my time here to well, you would need another hamster for the server just to keep up with the PM's.

Okay slight exaggeration........ but only slightly.
Initially yes. But is has been successfully implimented elsewhere by me now with great success.
Who knows, this forum is different. Hard to say.

-ST