Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS NEWS > Suggestions & Feedback

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 7, 2008, 10:06 AM
Hall Of Fame

Default Selling area security

Hey guys.

I saw a thread in the buy/sell area that recently went awry. I feel bad for those affected, and I am also concerned about buying things from this place. I feel it'd be a good idea to beef up security, while not putting too much demand on the mods!

Over at OCForums, for example, they have a mod dedicated to the security of the sales section. He's great at what he does, and is always helping us (he's helped me a few times and I've always appreciated it). One thing they do is 'confirm' new sellers. The mod PMs them and asks for a few details on the item to verify that its infact real. This helps build trust with new sellers.

They also have a post requirement for the calssified section. You need at least 100 posts to post in there. I think thats a great idea, since it means we know the poster a little more before we buy items from them. Will it encourage spam? Not if done right.

And one more thing that we should encourage here at HWC is heatware. Heatware is a great method of verification, and having it is a definate bonus. I think we should encourage heatware in the rules as well as posting when asking for photos and stuff.

Anyway, just a few suggestions. Otherwise HWC is a great place! Glad it's around :)

Teletraan I: Asus P5K-E/WIFI, E4500, 2 GB RAM, ATI 3450, Sapphire Theatrix, 2.25TB storage, Antec SP2 400w

Galvatron: Asus M2NPV-VM, 3800+ X2, 2GB RAM, NV8500GT, Seasonic 500w

Tracks: Acer AS5920, C2D 2.1ghz 45nm, 3GB DDR2, NV8600m GT, 250gb hdd

Hound: Gigabyte GA-MA74GM-S, AMD 4400+ X2, 1 GB RAM, 2900XT, 500w Seasonic

My Heatware!
| Got RMA? Tell us your experience! | VOIP Help? PM ME!
Old April 7, 2008, 10:22 AM
MVP
F@H

Someone got burned? That's not good...
What's heatware? And how does that help people who have little/no reputation and rarely transact (like me). Does it descriminate against the occasional purchaser seller, because they have a low heatware rating?

C2Q Blue
Gigabyte EP45-UD3p | Q8400 @ 2.66ghz | Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme w. Scythe | Mushkin Redline PC2-8000 5-5-5-15-2T @ 400mhz |
BFG GTX 295 | 1.32TB WD HDDs | Corsair HX 620 W | Antec 900 | Acer 20" LCD
Old April 7, 2008, 10:27 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Cipher View Post
Someone got burned? That's not good...
What's heatware? And how does that help people who have little/no reputation and rarely transact (like me). Does it descriminate against the occasional purchaser seller, because they have a low heatware rating?
I wouldn't say it descriminates. IT helps in any case.

Heatware is a rating system, like ebay's feedback. Any transation that you run you can post feedback as the seller or the buyer. It helps build trust, even if you have 1 or 2 transactions. If you have a transaction with a trusted person on the forums, its great because then that well known person's trust is applied to this newbie. Look at my siggy for my heatware.

Teletraan I: Asus P5K-E/WIFI, E4500, 2 GB RAM, ATI 3450, Sapphire Theatrix, 2.25TB storage, Antec SP2 400w

My Heatware!
Old April 7, 2008, 11:14 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

It doesn't sound like this person got burned by the seller per se. The seller just shipped the box without outside protection, it sounds like a Canada Post employee has a new $500 GPU and that's it. I'm sorry but there would have been NO way for a mod or anyone else to catch a situation like that.
Old April 7, 2008, 11:18 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
It doesn't sound like this person got burned by the seller per se. The seller just shipped the box without outside protection, it sounds like a Canada Post employee has a new $500 GPU and that's it. I'm sorry but there would have been NO way for a mod or anyone else to catch a situation like that.
I'm not really talking specifically about that situation. Its more of a general thing. I've felt a tad weary about purchasing at these forums, mostly because I don't know alot fo these guys, and I am sure there are other people that feel the same way.

I;m not saying the mods arne't doing their jobs, or it's an unsafe place to transact. On the contrary, all of the things I've bought here have been great, and I have met a few cool people along the way! I am just saying, it might help is all. Sorry if you think I'm indicating otherwise.

My Heatware!
Old April 7, 2008, 11:21 AM
Quadfather

My System Specs

I've had at least a dozen or so successful transactions and great deals from this forum and it's members No problems yet! (working on a few more as we speak).
Old April 7, 2008, 11:22 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMetaphor View Post
I've had at least a dozen or so successful transactions and great deals from this forum and it's members No problems yet! (working on a few more as we speak).
same here! It's great when you can meet them in the same city :)

My Heatware!
Old April 7, 2008, 11:29 AM
Quadfather

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheator View Post
It's great when you can meet them in the same city :)
Unfortunately I've only met one HwC Member in person, but it was the Great SKYMTL himself. Booyeah! I was honored, hehe. (And jealous of his job)
Old April 7, 2008, 11:45 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

While we take the time to go over as many threads as possible we believe firmly in the intelligence of our readers and don't think we have to babysit them when they are making a transaction. It is up to the buyer to ask the pertinent questions (which are more likely the same ones as the MOD would be asking) which will ensure they get what they paid for.

We already make sure that there is the name of a member in writing next to the item they are selling. In some cases this can be substituted with seller references and a confirmation to a mod like was seen here:

FS: XFX 7900 GS XT w/ lifetime warranty - $80 obo

Us mods DO take personal involvement when we must and I believe this is the most we can do give each seller's / buyer's unique traits. If not, when a sale goes bad, all fingers would point at the mod who was "supposed" to screen the seller.
Old April 7, 2008, 11:55 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
While we take the time to go over as many threads as possible we believe firmly in the intelligence of our readers and don't think we have to babysit them when they are making a transaction. It is up to the buyer to ask the pertinent questions (which are more likely the same ones as the MOD would be asking) which will ensure they get what they paid for.

We already make sure that there is the name of a member in writing next to the item they are selling. In some cases this can be substituted with seller references and a confirmation to a mod like was seen here:

FS: XFX 7900 GS XT w/ lifetime warranty - $80 obo

Us mods DO take personal involvement when we must and I believe this is the most we can do give each seller's / buyer's unique traits. If not, when a sale goes bad, all fingers would point at the mod who was "supposed" to screen the seller.
Well it's also worth posting that it's not the mod's responsibility, it woudl just be a bonus. Even adding a suggestion for heatware in the rules would add to the security. I don't expect babysitting, or anything for that matter, I was just making a suggestion. Again I wasn't trying to be rude or say anyone isn't doing there job. I like it here! Just a suggestion.

My Heatware!