Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS NEWS > Suggestions & Feedback

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 21, 2012, 07:38 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soultribunal View Post
We would never go to that extreme. Regardless of circumstance. I can personally say I would hand in my Title before I ban someone for Ad-blocking. Unless it was Enaberif...because its just fun to Ban him for no good reason .

He knows we love him :)

-ST
Yeah, i think it is a bit extreme as well. But i understand the need to discourage the practice. What some people dont seem to understand is that websites are not free. Somebody, somewhere, has to pay the bill. We are just lucky as end users that we are not the ones paying out of pocket directly. Having a few ads on the page does not take away my enjoyment of the site at all.

Last edited by kirbster; February 21, 2012 at 09:59 AM.
Old February 21, 2012, 09:54 AM
"Quote This..."
F@H

Got the ad again, took a screenie this time. You can't see the annoying bright flashes but you get the idea. This type of ad is the reason people use ad blockers.

Old February 21, 2012, 10:01 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

I'm on it.

100K visitor my ass....
Old February 21, 2012, 10:08 AM
Administrator
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeetard View Post
It was definitely on here. the banner ad between the menu bar and the post reply button. This was the only window open and the ad said click here to claim your prize.
I just double-checked and we don't have Google ads in that location. Might want to check your computer for malware.
Old February 21, 2012, 10:09 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Is there a way we can donate a few dollars to the site? For people that would like to support the website but still hate ads?

I know with reddit a lot of people block the ads, but you can buy "reddit gold" and that way you're still not freeloading.
Old February 21, 2012, 10:15 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

One of the reasons I use an ad blocker and flash blocker(and will also block random crap-scripts using said adblocker) is because I do most of my browsing on a notebook. You would think 2.1GHz even if AMD could handle smooth responsive scrolling but no. Not quite fast enough for modern loaded down sites. It is amazing how much page loading times go down without this extra junk too. There are sites were loading times are EASILY cut in half; at least with my internet connection.

When I go and block flash&crap-scripts and ads websites are immensely more usable.
I also will go and block those awful 9000x5000 1-10MB images from threads that I foresee myself wanting to load for other content with mild frequency. Bandwidth costs $$$. I also do not want to wait 5 mins just because one person stuck a ton of terrible quality, uncropped, and un-thumbnailed images (where half of them are of the same thing) in a thread.

TL:DR
My 12MHz 286 is really hard to use to browse the internet these days, flash just kills it as do animated gifs and unneeded scripts.
Old February 21, 2012, 10:17 AM
Administrator
F@H

My System Specs

This is very frustrating. Is anyone else getting this ad. I have yet to see it.
Old February 21, 2012, 10:24 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Well, is it flash? I am considering helping looking for it.
Old February 21, 2012, 10:24 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

I got it. Tried on my notebook as well (totally clean install of Win 7) and got it there too. It seems totally random.
Old February 21, 2012, 10:25 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gav View Post
This is very frustrating. Is anyone else getting this ad. I have yet to see it.
I practically live on this site and I have never seen that ad once Gav.

-ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com