Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS NEWS > Suggestions & Feedback

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 20, 2012, 06:09 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Anything that tracks gets blocked on all my systems, matter of principle for me, so yes I block HWC, always have.

I have nothing against someone trying to make a dollar for their pocket or the site but my browsing habits and those of my family are mine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
My knuckles are bleeding from fishing through walls a new CAT6 network cable... I found fresh, untapped electrical outlets...
"It's all in the Reflexes"-Jack Burton
Old February 20, 2012, 06:10 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
IF an ad is a mem or cpu hog...LET THE MODS KNOW.
FLASH! AAAHHH OOOHHHH!

Maybe though if we mixed up the ads with some random pics of hot babes? That'll be sure to get some views! :P
Old February 20, 2012, 06:28 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
And how exactly is the ad viewed without clicking? Are you saying by it loading onto my screen it considers it "viewed"? So isn't that technically forcing me into seeing something I don't want?

Ads are a nuisance in my mind and will always be blocked.
An ad is viewed when you load a page whether you look at it or not but an "impression" isn't registered unless the ad is actually loaded. Whether or not you actually LOOK at it is entirely up to you. Plus, we don't have pop-up ads so it isn't an in your face type of thing anyways.

Personally, I don't see how they are a nuisance since we try to keep them pushed off to the side instead of in the middle of an article or forum section.

Plus, none of our ads track browsing behavior. Just whether they are loaded when a page is loaded or not.

And I've been reloading, looking for that "Congrats" ad and have yet to see it.
Old February 20, 2012, 06:37 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
An ad is viewed when you load a page whether you look at it or not but an "impression" isn't registered unless the ad is actually loaded. Whether or not you actually LOOK at it is entirely up to you. Plus, we don't have pop-up ads so it isn't an in your face type of thing anyways.

Personally, I don't see how they are a nuisance since we try to keep them pushed off to the side instead of in the middle of an article or forum section.
Someppl simple dont want ads thrown in our faces no matter what. I get exposed plenty to ads in my day to day life for me ( and this is everyone choice)
Just because you dont think it is nuisance doesnt mean someone else wont. I have no problem with a say 3-5 minute add ( or commercial) in a movie ( just give me time to get up and have a puff) but I bet you wouldnt care for it now would you?

Entirely up to the individual.

Plus I have to say about paying for the servers, Um okay not really hard to find out where and whom owns this site, so yeah they get enough of my cash as it is.

Quote:
My knuckles are bleeding from fishing through walls a new CAT6 network cable... I found fresh, untapped electrical outlets...
Old February 20, 2012, 07:29 PM

You do realize that Gav and I have had joint control over HWC for the last few years, right?

Netlink and other outside influences are no longer involved even though they DID help us get off the ground back in the day. Trust me, TigerDirect and Newegg vetted us with a fine toothed comb before starting ad campaigns.

Just thought I'd get that into the open.
Old February 20, 2012, 07:35 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
You do realize that Gav and I have had joint control over HWC for the last few years, right?

Netlink and other outside influences are no longer involved even though they DID help us get off the ground back in the day. Trust me, TigerDirect and Newegg vetted us with a fine toothed comb before starting ad campaigns.

Just thought I'd get that into the open.
Well as you know I dont have anything to do with that but good to know then M.

TBH I didnt even check now that I have I see the gtomedia is gone, I will never allow on my PC's but I might just click a couple of links for you and R on my playbook then........... it doesnt have any script blocking;)

Quote:
Old February 20, 2012, 07:39 PM

No problemo. Either way, the choice is yours.

One way or another, we appreciate EVERYONE who contributes to this community regardless of whether or not they block the ads. :)
Old February 21, 2012, 05:46 AM
Top Prospect

Ad blocking is up to the individual, but on sites you support, or are considered a part of the community, leaving them on is only the right thing to do. Without the revenue from the adds, you would not be able to come here and enjoy this site. Some forums i am a member of will ban you outr right if they find out you are using an ad blocker.
Old February 21, 2012, 06:16 AM
Allstar
F@H

Adblock Plus is a lot more customisable now. I allow ads to load in HWC but I block ads before YouTube and NHL videos. Check your settings.
Old February 21, 2012, 06:39 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirbster View Post
Ad blocking is up to the individual, but on sites you support, or are considered a part of the community, leaving them on is only the right thing to do. Without the revenue from the adds, you would not be able to come here and enjoy this site. Some forums i am a member of will ban you outr right if they find out you are using an ad blocker.
We would never go to that extreme. Regardless of circumstance. I can personally say I would hand in my Title before I ban someone for Ad-blocking. Unless it was Enaberif...because its just fun to Ban him for no good reason .

He knows we love him :)

-ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com