Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS NEWS > Suggestions & Feedback

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 20, 2012, 04:02 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
You honestly think I click on those ads? HAH!

Like it or not a large majority of people are tired of said ads and block them as I do myself.

Don't like it too bad.
And this is why "we" cant have pretty things. Gav has made something worthwhile here and all he asks in return is for some small ads to be displayed. You dont even have to click on them as a lot of the time its just showing up that counts.

Guess some people really do think they should get everything for nothing. You wonder why so many sites are "selling out" its because of readers like you. HWC will never sell out, but I could see it shutting down.

/v toews mode on
Everytime you block on an Ad on HWC...God eats a puppy. So either you support the ads or you support puppy murder.
/v toews mode off

j/k...but dont be a douche. kthxbye

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old February 20, 2012, 04:06 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
You honestly think I click on those ads? HAH!

Like it or not a large majority of people are tired of said ads and block them as I do myself.

Don't like it too bad.

Sorry mate but that is the wrong attitude to have. You cannot have a free site. It just doesn't happen unless the owner of said site is Rich.

I support the ads, I even click and check them out becaues that is what I believe in. Support for the site.

-ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old February 20, 2012, 04:24 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I use adblock, but I do have it disabled for hardware canucks. Believe it or not but most of the times the adds here are at least something I could be interested in and yes I do click on them from time to time.

Old February 20, 2012, 04:25 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
And this is why "we" cant have pretty things. Gav has made something worthwhile here and all he asks in return is for some small ads to be displayed. You dont even have to click on them as a lot of the time its just showing up that counts.

Guess some people really do think they should get everything for nothing. You wonder why so many sites are "selling out" its because of readers like you. HWC will never sell out, but I could see it shutting down.

/v toews mode on
Everytime you block on an Ad on HWC...God eats a puppy. So either you support the ads or you support puppy murder.
/v toews mode off

j/k...but dont be a douche. kthxbye
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soultribunal View Post
Sorry mate but that is the wrong attitude to have. You cannot have a free site. It just doesn't happen unless the owner of said site is Rich.

I support the ads, I even click and check them out becaues that is what I believe in. Support for the site.

-ST
You don't think I realize all this? Doesn't mean I need someone forced upon me that I will never click or use? I disabled those ads long ago because of how memory intensive they were on some systems I was using and have just kept it that way.

You guys are naive if you think people don't block them.
Old February 20, 2012, 04:46 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
You don't think I realize all this? Doesn't mean I need someone forced upon me that I will never click or use? I disabled those ads long ago because of how memory intensive they were on some systems I was using and have just kept it that way.

You guys are naive if you think people don't block them.
I am far from naive and I know people will block them Ena. My point is what AkG and SKYMTL are saying is correct. They are required. You cannot change that.

-ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old February 20, 2012, 04:53 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

This has nothing to do with CLICKING on the ad. It is all about the number of times the ad is viewed rather than clicked on.
Old February 20, 2012, 05:13 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
This has nothing to do with CLICKING on the ad. It is all about the number of times the ad is viewed rather than clicked on.
And how exactly is the ad viewed without clicking? Are you saying by it loading onto my screen it considers it "viewed"? So isn't that technically forcing me into seeing something I don't want?

Ads are a nuisance in my mind and will always be blocked.
Old February 20, 2012, 06:03 PM
Hall Of Fame

I personally don't mind ads. What I mind is flash-based eyef**ks that have to not only consume my vision by being all flashy and stuff, but consume my resources as well. I understand ad-revenue but some of those ads are over the top ridiculous.

The flash ads on here aren't as bad as most (read: nearly all other) sites, but I still hate flash based ads with a passion.
Old February 20, 2012, 06:04 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

1. Screaming ads are a nuisance. Never saw one though. I avoid any site that does such nonsense.

2. HWC is not a charity. We have ads, or we pay to access the site. No forum anywhere I am on will allow folks to suggest ad blockers on its own forum. We are not entitled to anything, so a small ad is a small price to pay.
Fold for team #54196
Old February 20, 2012, 06:05 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

The days of pay per click being the ONLY model are loooong gone. Google Anayltics (amongst others) easily track what ads are displayed and count the number of times they are displayed. Many ads are "sold" in blocks of 1K VIEWS. So yes by not blocking them you are actually supporting the site.

You dont want to support this or any other site...FINE. That is your right enab. But please dont cloak it in a holier than thou 'tude. Dont pretend that because you "never click" that blocking them doesnt hurt the sites you visit. It does. Even I turn off addblock on sites that I want to support. IF an ad is a mem or cpu hog...LET THE MODS KNOW. Gav et all want them to be unobtrusive and not harmful to the readers viewing experience. Cant do jack unless they KNOW about it.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr