Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS NEWS > Suggestions & Feedback

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 8, 2011, 12:56 PM
MVP

My System Specs

let the user be able to lock his own thread in bst?
So once all my stuff is sold. I clan edit my title and lock the thread.
I don't know how much work is involved with permissions on that one though.
Old November 8, 2011, 12:58 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I think that the reuse of old threads should not be permitted because it makes everything so much more confusing and eventually what happens is that people don't bother looking since they've seen it many times. When the sale is still "young", thne I guess adding items ONCE is not too bad as long as its indicated in the title.

Prices should not be edited out as its very useful for future buyers to check what has been sold and for how much instead of starting PM threads all over the place.

Naturally a thread will no longer be used before hitting the 30 days period granted what is said above is respected. Then, I agree it could be locked.

As for thread bumping, once per day should be a maximum as either way, I always press "New Posts" and whether you bumped it once or twice, I will look at it once.
Old November 8, 2011, 01:07 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

I would leave the threads there so that they can be searched and used for research, but I would not reuse threads as it makes checking out what was/is happening more difficult.

As for the bumping, sometimes it can get annoying but for the most part it does not bother me too much.
Fold for team #54196
Old November 8, 2011, 01:38 PM

My System Specs

I honestly don't get the hate on reusing old for sale threads.

Reusing the same BST thread makes it a lot easier for sellers who are continually adding gear to be sold.
Old November 8, 2011, 01:57 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfat View Post
Reusing the same BST thread makes it a lot easier for sellers who are continually adding gear to be sold.
Might be efficient for the seller, but it generally makes it a pain for the buyer.
A thread that's re-used and goes on for 2 pages... that's one thing.
A thread that's re-used and goes on for 11, 25, or even 51 pages...

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum...al-gpu-51.html
http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum...-cores-25.html
http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum...cables-11.html

At some point, the seller has to realize that too much is simply too much.

I picked examples just like that. I went into the bst and picked threads with ridiculous amount of pages regardless of who the op is and regardless of what's for sale.
Old November 8, 2011, 02:20 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaze_125 View Post
Might be efficient for the seller, but it generally makes it a pain for the buyer.
A thread that's re-used and goes on for 2 pages... that's one thing.
A thread that's re-used and goes on for 11, 25, or even 51 pages...

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum...al-gpu-51.html
http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum...-cores-25.html
http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum...cables-11.html

At some point, the seller has to realize that too much is simply too much.

I picked examples just like that. I went into the bst and picked threads with ridiculous amount of pages regardless of who the op is and regardless of what's for sale.
Yeah but really since the info is edited into the OP how hard is it to click the "1"?

Doesnt matter if the thread is 200 pages or 2 your still going to have to hit the first page and go to the OP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
My knuckles are bleeding from fishing through walls a new CAT6 network cable... I found fresh, untapped electrical outlets...
"It's all in the Reflexes"-Jack Burton
Old November 8, 2011, 02:26 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supergrover View Post
Yeah but really since the info is edited into the OP how hard is it to click the "1"?

Doesnt matter if the thread is 200 pages or 2 your still going to have to hit the first page and go to the OP.
There may be a discussion on page 13 related to item posted on page 1.
But you can only find that discussion if you go through all 13 pages(most of which cover stuff that was sold months or weeks ago).

I'm not talking about discussion where people are just shooting the sh*t(that should not be tolerated). I'm talking discussions where hard facts are posted, and legitimate questions are asked and answered.

I make a thread and sell some stuff. Everything sells my thread is now 2 pages.
I edit my op and add some stuff. I sell everything but 1 or 2 items are left unsold but still available on the op. My thread is now 6 pages.
I edit my op an add more stuff. My thread now turns into an 8 pager.

You're interested in buying the 1 or 2 things that were left unsold on the 1st edit but you'd like to know if something was said about the item... You have to go through all 8 pages to find out.

Last edited by blaze_125; November 8, 2011 at 02:45 PM.
Old November 8, 2011, 02:30 PM

My System Specs

Don't discuss in a BST thread. Keep it to PM's. Honestly I'd prefer it if only the seller was allowed to post in the thread. Keeps thread crapping out.
Old November 8, 2011, 02:35 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Don't discuss in a BST thread. Keep it to PM's. Honestly I'd prefer it if only the seller was allowed to post in the thread. Keeps thread crapping out.
Wrong.
Discuss in the bst because the info will likely be useful to other possible buyers, or the info might even be useful to someone searching the message board for specific info about a specific product.
Re-using old threads not only make finding what you want harder, but it also gives alot of false positives when you search the message board.

There is only 1 adavantage to re-using a thread and it's to make the poster's life easier(I guess).
It makes it hell for everyone else. In a buyer's market, it's the wrong way to go about it.

Also, when you re-use a thread... the person looking at the items for sale can't rely on the time stamps and that's really annoying. Not knowing when something was posted is good for the seller, but bad for the buyer.

Clutter in a board section(bst) is much easier to manage for the end user, than clutter within a thread.

Last edited by blaze_125; November 8, 2011 at 02:42 PM.
Old November 8, 2011, 02:35 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
I cant imagine it being toooo much more work to start a new thread instead of re-using an old one. An extra minute or two at worst.

But even the seller posts additional info into their own threads, I.e "PRICE DROPS AND BUMPS" or "FREE SHIPPING NAO" without editing the OP.

And I think in-post discussions should be promoted, but I know I'm against popular opinion here - what does the seller have to hide?