Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS NEWS > Suggestions & Feedback

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 28, 2011, 02:51 PM
Hall Of Fame

Default Linus Q&A

Not that I think they are a bad idea but could they be removed from showing up in the "New Posts" link. It totally floods it and I find it annoying as a few others do as well.

Thanks.
Old September 28, 2011, 02:55 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

+1 i find it annoying as hell
Old September 28, 2011, 02:56 PM

This has been brought to my attention already and I'm going to try to space them out a little more throughout the day to avoid this issue.

I don't think filtering them out of new posts is necessarily right since they are valid questions and so far the new member conversion rate after posting these is just under 50% within a 24 hour period. Their questions are valid too and if it helps grow the community, then great.

Give it another week or so to see if the spacing helps... Pretty please?

For faster (and official) NCIX service please contact our customer care team at www.NCIX.com (Canada) or www.NCIXUS.com (USA)

Heatware: http://heatware.com/eval.php?id=25647
Old September 28, 2011, 02:58 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

If it's really that bad for you, I'm pretty sure the block feature will work.

EDIT: looked around and the "edit ignore list" feature seems to be missing, or I'm not looking hard enough.

EDIT: Nvm, found it. Turns out you can't ignore "Linus" because he has admin rights to his forum section.

Last edited by ilya; September 28, 2011 at 03:07 PM.
Old September 28, 2011, 03:15 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I agree a flood of them will be annoying as some have stated, my thought are this: If the thread gets posted in the Linus section it isnt really going to the right section.
I mean it has been 2 days right and there are a few posts already who would want to wade through that?
If it was redirected to the appropriate section IMO that would be the better solution as then it will help build the forum not just one section that if it continues will be a cluster frak of posts within a few weeks.

Not against it but think it could be better implemented for all members.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
My knuckles are bleeding from fishing through walls a new CAT6 network cable... I found fresh, untapped electrical outlets...
"It's all in the Reflexes"-Jack Burton
Old September 28, 2011, 03:23 PM

I see your point... Let me think about it...

So far here's how it works:

1. YouTuber sends me PM

2. I post their question/comment in the LTT section and answer it to the best of my knowledge

3. I send the YouTuber a template message that says "here's where I'd like you to direct any follow up questions or comments where I or the other forum members can help you". The message includes a link to the thread I've created

4. Hopefully they sign up, create their on threads, learn, and eventually join our community here.

The LTT section is just a springboard, and honestly other than seeing "new posts" and commenting from time to time, I don't expect anyone in the community to go through them since I will be doing the initial answers. I am trying to make them fairly "search keyword friendly" so that we don't entirely lose the benefit of these questions being answered, and so hopefully some google traffic comes out of it.

The direct benefit to me is that I'm hoping by helping build the HWC community (which I love and I've been involved with in one way or another since almost day one) it will also help me answer these questions that I no longer have the time to follow up personally because the volume is too high.

Right now it's a trial run and I'm open to suggestions on how to improve it so it benefits everyone.

For faster (and official) NCIX service please contact our customer care team at www.NCIX.com (Canada) or www.NCIXUS.com (USA)

Old September 28, 2011, 03:33 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

What about redirecting posts made in the L section to the right sections? TBH I know redirecting is easy but this might be a pita if it has to be done manually, so in essence it would dbl post, into your section and the right section for the thread?
Again might be too much work but would help build the forum database in the right sections but still have them in a central location also for you to function from?

Glad to have you back though Linus.

Quote:
My knuckles are bleeding from fishing through walls a new CAT6 network cable... I found fresh, untapped electrical outlets...
Old September 28, 2011, 03:40 PM

Hmmm... If that functionality does exist then it might work. Filtering the original LTT section posts from the new posts, and redirecting to properly categorized ones will also keep it from looking like LINUS SPAM in the new posts section, even if many of the threads were originally created by me...

I'm sure the folks in charge are somewhat paying attention to this thread though, so maybe they will consider the options and come back to me with some suggested changes.

Old September 28, 2011, 03:46 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I like this system. Keep it the way it should be
Old September 28, 2011, 03:47 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linus View Post
Hmmm... If that functionality does exist then it might work. Filtering the original LTT section posts from the new posts, and redirecting to properly categorized ones will also keep it from looking like LINUS SPAM in the new posts section, even if many of the threads were originally created by me...

I'm sure the folks in charge are somewhat paying attention to this thread though, so maybe they will consider the options and come back to me with some suggested changes.
Yup kills 2 birds with one stone.

As you stated in your section we as members need to be extra "nice" to these new members well okay not extra nice but maybe just cut them a little more slack than reg members, I know myself and a few others can come off harsh but that isnt nessarlly the case.

Plus they are not going to get the Peri-mom jokes till they have been here for a bit.

So to those reading this try and remember they dont know us so best foot forward and all that jazz.

AKG......

J/King Ant

Quote: