Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Suggestions & Feedback (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/suggestions-feedback/)
-   -   An Idea for Ranks - Member Challenges? (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/suggestions-feedback/40988-idea-ranks-member-challenges.html)

CMetaphor February 21, 2011 02:28 PM

An Idea for Ranks - Member Challenges?

Mayhaps this isn't the best idea, but I've oft wondered what the heck the Ranks really mean anymore.

So, I came to a fun and possibly amusing solution: Member challenges!

What is a member challenge? Silly contests with thematic or unusual requirements that are open to those higher-ranked members with enough time to waste on them :biggrin:

An example, Mr. Meta? Why of course:
"Today's contest is open to Allstars and above! The theme: Clocks and the number 7!"

- That's it! Imagine the hilarity! Replies coming in on the thread containing screenshots of users that managed to underclock to 777Mhz? Or match the CPU/Ratio/NB/PCIe frequencies to all have "7" at the end!

What's the prize/reward for entering these Challenges?
Probably nothing, to be honest. But then again there's bragging rights... Oh! and maybe this idea will actually take hold and the staff will get in on arranging more tangible benefits, but don't blame me if they dont!

Who decides who wins???
Ah ha! Now here's the best part! Each challenge could be unique in "judges" department. But, in a nutshell, it would be the other ranks (or just one other rank?). Returning to my example from before: The Allstars/Hall of Famers compete on the challenge - the mods will most likely trim the finalists down to a few (say 10 or less) entries, then they create a Poll to let the remaining ranks decide who is to win!

Along the same notes, we could make the mods compete and let the rest of us decide who would win in their challenge(s), :haha:

Now the big question is: What do you all think of this idea? It may need some tweaking, but i think it could result in some great fun, unusual contests (to say the least, imagine the open-ness of the challenges?) and some hilarity as well. Decide! Tell me your thoughts!

martin_metal_88 February 21, 2011 02:40 PM

lol wut??
Haven't this already been suggested? I mean contest for high rank user.

MacJunky February 21, 2011 02:53 PM

This is retarded.
That is all.

/me goes back to doing cool stuff.

CMetaphor February 21, 2011 02:55 PM

Okay... two very non-constructive posts.... Next? :haha:

Arinoth February 21, 2011 03:07 PM

Glad to see we can have such maturity in responding to a thread which i'm assuming is trying to promote more activity and reward towards long term members, as most of our current contests typically pull in new members and long term members have the same chances of winning as the newbies.

On that note it is indeed an interesting way to get more activity out of our long term members whom may not frequent us as much any more or find it harder to post with newer crowds coming in. If it could/would work who knows for certain, however anyone else who decides to flame what at least looks to me like a well intended ideas thread won't be happy with their 'reward'

Jackquelegs February 21, 2011 03:50 PM

it's neat, maybe we can get a custom title or something. I'm tired of being in the hall of fame.

OR

we can get one of those fabulous looking names like fixt had

CMetaphor February 21, 2011 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jackquelegs (Post 488295)
it's neat, maybe we can get a custom title or something. I'm tired of being in the hall of fame.

OR

Ooooooh! Tempting prizes!!! :biggrin: Keep the ideas coming!

MacJunky February 21, 2011 04:01 PM

There will always be haters, there will always be lovers and there will always be yes-men. I am not a yes-man, nor am I much a lover.

Doing a contest in the proposed format is not restricted to the long-time members. It is oriented around the people who make the most posts. That is all the 'ranks' indicate.

If I am to be constructive, I would say to screw the ranks, Gav needs to hide them from the posts even. Instead, one should use the year that people joined as the basis for who can enter into what for cmeta's thingy.

I just get in a bad mood when people on any forum start talking about post counts and the ranks based on post count because it is all a bunch of crap. Seems to me it would be better to ditch the ranks and let ratings/rep happen but only if you absolutely need that sort of thing to happen.

Anyway, there, I am being slightly constructive. Use the year people joined instead of their rank. People cannot change their year and there is no reason that you could not dip into 2009 or 2010 if needed. Granted, gav would get less ad hits from people flooding in from contest tracking sites..

SugarJ February 21, 2011 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jackquelegs (Post 488295)

Awesome, request for pink name tag forwarded to admins. :thumb:

And while there are some suggestions worth considering, I think that the volunteer admin staff have a lot of projects on their hands already, like finishing the Christmas contest build and a mobile version of the site.

3.0charlie February 21, 2011 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacJunky (Post 488298)
There will always be haters, there will always be lovers and there will always be yes-men. I am not a yes-man, nor am I much a lover.

Doing a contest in the proposed format is not restricted to the long-time members. It is oriented around the people who make the most posts. That is all the 'ranks' indicate.

If I am to be constructive, I would say to screw the ranks, Gav needs to hide them from the posts even. Instead, one should use the year that people joined as the basis for who can enter into what for cmeta's thingy.

I just get in a bad mood when people on any forum start talking about post counts and the ranks based on post count because it is all a bunch of crap. Seems to me it would be better to ditch the ranks and let ratings/rep happen but only if you absolutely need that sort of thing to happen.

Anyway, there, I am being slightly constructive. Use the year people joined instead of their rank. People cannot change their year and there is no reason that you could not dip into 2009 or 2010 if needed. Granted, gav would get less ad hits from people flooding in from contest tracking sites..

I second that.

Post count / user ranks mean sweet F. all to me.