Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS NEWS > Suggestions & Feedback

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 21, 2011, 09:23 PM
Top Prospect

This is a great idea.

Anything that brings together a community (in a positive way) is always a good thing. I don't understand the haters.
Old February 21, 2011, 09:28 PM
MVP

My System Specs

i liek it, one challenge a month for all member ranks, that member gets a special title untill the next member takes it....
Old February 21, 2011, 10:57 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMetaphor;488345when was the last time you tried to hit a [U
specific[/U] frequency when over/underclocking?
You know what's hard? Trying to hit a specific score with a benchmarking app. PCMark 05 is a great example, since the 220 MB/s HDD startup score is a glass ceiling at hwbot.org, so overclockers have to try to get as close to that mark as they can without reaching it. One might argue that is the main challenge of that particular benchmark.

But it could be anything - like a specific CPU score in Cinebench or a specific SM2.0 Score in 3DM06 - the closest to the target without going over (cue Bob Barker) wins! I gotta admit, I kinda like your idea Meta.

Think you can overclock? Then show us what you got!
Join the Hardware Canucks Overclocking team today!
Old February 22, 2011, 05:28 AM
Quadfather

My System Specs

Thank you Mr. Dead_things! Although I feel we may be getting too far into "benchmark territory" here

See what happened to the benchmark threads? Almost no one posts in time, new members avoid them, and it was a basically a failure (for me) to try to get everyone having fun together. Yes, benchmarking is fun, so maybe some of the challenges can be benchmark related - but I think it would be best to diversify these little challenges! Also, the Challenges and their difficultly maybe should relate to their rank ? I.E. harder challenges for the old folks and easier ones for the new guys?

Here are some other ideas I came up with when I wasn't able to sleep last night (Not all are benchmark challenges!):

- Hall of Fame-ers Underclock Challenge - Hall of fame-ers fight to get the lowest possible Stable clock speed. Challenge entries must be have a minimum of a 50% reduction in CPU Freq. from the stock speed.

- Top Prospects Case Fan Challenge - Top prospects can post a picture of the inside of their cases with as many fans running as possible. Creativity and unusual fan placement would earn spots for the final vote by the other ranked members!

- All Star Desktop layout Challenge - The Allstars can battle for the more interesting desk/windows desktop. The coolest desks/desktops are entered into a vote for the winner!

- Moderators Best Ban Challenge - Moderators can each submit their own drawn/created/designed "BAN" image, icon or avatar. To be voted on by all the other ranks (hopefully without the penalty of being banned themselves!)

Im getting psyched! This is starting to sound like a lot of fun!
Old February 22, 2011, 09:31 AM
Quadfather

My System Specs

Default Further ideas!

This may be yet another silly idea, but here goes:

Idea for Challenge prizes? Rank increase!

I.E. = If we use the existing ranks (or maybe add a few) then the ranks themselves could be used as prizes for Challenges! This means that an "MVP" that wins a challenge could be upgraded to "Allstar" without having to post an extra 250 or so times! This would allow those that are really interested in competing in these little challenges to move "up in the ranks" to compete for higher challenges/prizes. Also, this means that the winners from lower ranks would be removed from said rank, allowing the remaining members at that rank to have a better shot and winning the next Challenge at their level.

Sounds good? Bad? Maybe? lol...
Old February 22, 2011, 10:52 AM
Hall of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackquelegs View Post
we can get one of those fabulous looking names like fixt had
Ya PS - attempting to be witty with Gav, usually doesn't work out so well

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supergrover View Post
SKYMTL's was way better.
"Taste the Rainbow"
Pity it never stuck

------------

We had rolled around with the idea of having inter-team folding challenges, but I like the idea of branching out to other aspects of the forum, as not every is a folder, not everyone is an overclocker either, so recognizing those who are the most helpful would be another challenge.

Maybe we can bring in the idea of "Web Awards", whereby people can obtain certain "pins/awards/cards" for said challenges.

We'll definitely put some more thought in to it, but ultimately it comes down to time and implementation. It's a great idea in theory, but if it requires constant babysitting to keep it updated then it isn't likely to happen.

Last edited by FiXT; February 22, 2011 at 11:02 AM.
Old February 22, 2011, 12:45 PM
Quadfather

My System Specs

Like i said before, I dont expect a great amount of contribution from the staff on this. Just having mods being able to "keep an eye" on the Challenge threads would be enough probably. Since the entire "Challenge" is really just members posting in the thread for it, i don't see alot of "baby-sitting" as being necessary. It would still be fun because we would make it fun though
Old February 22, 2011, 04:22 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiXT View Post
I..tried

Also contest winner gets a Nanosuit 2...DAMN IT HOME PAGE

Zephyranthes
E8400 4.0ghz, XFX 780i, Mushkin XP2 PC-6400, Antec Earthwatts 750W

Old February 23, 2011, 09:28 AM
Quadfather

My System Specs

I love to hear the opinions of more members on this idea

Again, the actual need for involvement from the higher ups is little, since we just need threads, replies, and polls to decide the "winner", haha
Old February 23, 2011, 10:11 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiXT View Post

"Taste the Rainbow"
Pity it never stuck

------------

We had rolled around with the idea of having inter-team folding challenges, but I like the idea of branching out to other aspects of the forum, as not every is a folder, not everyone is an overclocker either, so recognizing those who are the most helpful would be another challenge.

Maybe we can bring in the idea of "Web Awards", whereby people can obtain certain "pins/awards/cards" for said challenges.

We'll definitely put some more thought in to it, but ultimately it comes down to time and implementation. It's a great idea in theory, but if it requires constant babysitting to keep it updated then it isn't likely to happen.

The biggest problem I see is having someone actually watch over an said contest/award etc etc.

Our moderation team has enough to do in a given day, someone else would have to be taking this one by the reigns for any hope of success.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com