Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS NEWS > Suggestions & Feedback

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 7, 2010, 04:50 PM
Hall of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
Tapatalk is not feasable.. I use a windows mobile os and this does not exist for it.
Unfortunately our solution for mobile access will be OS limited as well. Might as well be prepared now.

I run WinMo myself (dual boot with Android) and the sad fact is, that isn't where the market is, so there is little point in wasting time and money developing for it.

Depending on your device (mostly HTC), you should look to see if there is an Android port. The one I run has support for everything except the camera, but it has awful battery life. Like 3 hours
Consequently I only use it when I am at home/work/car/ somewhere where I have a plugin stored
Old July 7, 2010, 05:49 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiXT View Post
Unfortunately our solution for mobile access will be OS limited as well. Might as well be prepared now.

I run WinMo myself (dual boot with Android) and the sad fact is, that isn't where the market is, so there is little point in wasting time and money developing for it.

Depending on your device (mostly HTC), you should look to see if there is an Android port. The one I run has support for everything except the camera, but it has awful battery life. Like 3 hours
Consequently I only use it when I am at home/work/car/ somewhere where I have a plugin stored

Case in point once again of HWC catering to a certain crowd. Its precisely why I've not come around here in ages.

Yes I can dual boot myself but as much as I do like the Android interface on my phone it really heats up using android.
Old July 7, 2010, 06:20 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

enaberif I really don't see your point. Why develop something that has no audience? Android and iOS take up the majority of the marketshare now (BB's os too), and winmo is going down the drain.

Yeah, it would be nice to have it work on all devices. But for now, I think that introducing it to the most popular OSes first would be the most ideal situation. Maybe winmo later.
Old July 7, 2010, 06:30 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by bojangles View Post
enaberif I really don't see your point. Why develop something that has no audience? Android and iOS take up the majority of the marketshare now (BB's os too), and winmo is going down the drain.

Yeah, it would be nice to have it work on all devices. But for now, I think that introducing it to the most popular OSes first would be the most ideal situation. Maybe winmo later.
Why does it have to be OS based?

Why can't it be cross browser based?

I mean internet explorer IS the largest used browser is it not?
Old July 7, 2010, 08:32 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Why does it have to be OS based?

Why can't it be cross browser based?

I mean internet explorer IS the largest used browser is it not?
It's only the most widely used browser because it comes on EVERY windows computer.
If people that didn't know better, knew about firefox and/or chrome and knew the benefits I'm 100% certain IE would not be the most common browser.
Old July 7, 2010, 09:46 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Tapatalk is not feasable.. I use a windows mobile os and this does not exist for it.
Windows Mobile is a dead platform. If Tapatalk doesn't support it then there's nothing HWC can do about it; that's left to the developers of the software.
Old July 7, 2010, 09:51 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero82z View Post
Windows Mobile is a dead platform. If Tapatalk doesn't support it then there's nothing HWC can do about it; that's left to the developers of the software.
Windows Mobile is hardly a dead platform. It may not be up there on the top of the list with the others, but its STILL very useful and has its place.

You either have something completely tied to google or something childish like the iphone.

I personally like my Touch Pro as do a lot of other people.. and since Microsoft is releasing Windows Mobile 6.5 soon or has.. its supposed to really help with those who aren't that familiar with it.

OH and might I add last year when I was looking to replace my phone with Telus the ONLY phone that had WiFi was the Touch Pro. The Storm 2 by Blackberry wasn't out and the screen on that phone is horrible. So sometimes you can only go with what you have.

I may look into switching to Android, but personally it sounds like this site will be catering to mostly those with a iphone anyways which is really to bad because lots of people use other phones than iphone.

Last edited by enaberif; July 7, 2010 at 09:59 PM.
Old July 8, 2010, 05:21 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
I may look into switching to Android, but personally it sounds like this site will be catering to mostly those with a iphone anyways which is really to bad because lots of people use other phones than iphone.
Yeah we're really catering to just the iPhone folks with the application that's being mentioned there. Because you know the Android and BB apps are free, where the iPhone one is a couple bucks, it must mean that we're only supporting the iPhone.

Next you're going to say we're catering to Windows 7 OS since its the more preferred OS to use these days by most users even though you're stuck in your Win XP days.

How about if you think we're catering to a crowd you don't like you either get off your soap box and try to make proactive changes (IE how about you try to find a relatively easy plugin for the forums and app for all mobile devices and get back to me?) rather then bitching and moaning about it or just as you've said frequent the site less and less.
Old July 8, 2010, 07:27 AM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

I mentioned something like this before, but there are skins available that make the forums (not the main site) mobile friendly for all phones:
Mobile, Cell, Phone, PDA, iPhone Style - vBulletin.org Forum

That is a link to a version for vbulletin 3.7, but there are newer ones for vbulletin 4.0 as well.

That being said, I have no experience with vbulletin, only Joomla.
Fold for team #54196
Old July 8, 2010, 03:17 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Windows Mobile is hardly a dead platform.
It's being replaced by Windows Phone System 7, which is a completely different platform and is incompatible with Windows Mobile software. 6.5 is the last version of WinMo as you know it. So yes, it is a dead platform. And again, the fact that Tapatalk does not have a WinMo version is the fault of the developers, not HWC. Better that we get something that's compatible with a few phone platforms rather than having nothing at all.