Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS NEWS > Suggestions & Feedback

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 5, 2007, 04:29 PM
MVP

Default RMA howto and RMA list

I was just a reading a few posts on RMA's and it appears that there are some people who do not how to go about doing this.

It might be helpful to include 'How to apply for a RMA', or something along those lines, in the FAQ.

I was also thinking that it may be a good idea to sticky a RMA list someplace appropriate. Said list could include things such as Products and/or Company name along with contact information. It may be too hard to keep a product list updated though as new prducts are coming out all the time so maybe just a company name along with contact info would be better.

Just a thought. I treat this area of the forum as a giant brainstorm stew so anything I think of I spout off about it.
Old November 5, 2007, 05:51 PM
MVP
F@H

Sounds like a good idea, but there are a few different RMA methods.

It seems that with DC/NCIX (never had to RMA with them) you deal with them directly, however when I RMA'd my Sapphire ATI GPU, it was through Sapphire's Canadian distributor and not the store I bought it from (Canada Computers).

Two different processes...although yet similar.

Bah maybe I'm wrong, I only had to RMA something once. I'm willing to throw in my experience to the FAQ though!

C2Q Blue
Gigabyte EP45-UD3p | Q8400 @ 2.66ghz | Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme w. Scythe | Mushkin Redline PC2-8000 5-5-5-15-2T @ 400mhz |
BFG GTX 295 | 1.32TB WD HDDs | Corsair HX 620 W | Antec 900 | Acer 20" LCD
Old November 5, 2007, 06:14 PM
MVP

Exactly! Stuff like that could be included as well. Special instructions, steps that you need to take with company X etc...

Hrm... that got me thinking. Maybe two sections. One with a vendor RMA list and one with the manufacturer...Good point Cipher.
Old November 8, 2007, 12:04 PM
MVP

It is now obvious to me why more people haven't responded to this thread...that would be because we already have said section within the troubleshooting forum that neglected to read...LOL.

I am really surprised that no one flamed me on this...c'mon I wholeheartedly deserved it that time...RTFM Qwerty ya jackass!

OK I flamed myself...

Alright this +1 is over...go back to your regularly scheduled program....Now!

:)
Old November 8, 2007, 03:22 PM
MVP

This is actually a great idea, there is very little on the subject other than a lot of manufacturers confusing and hard to find instructions.

No matter what method you use, it always starts with aquiring an RMA number, shipping instructions and shipping address.

1) Contact technical support and explain your problem in detail, along with all the things you've tried and include complete system specs.

2) Tech support may suggest a thing or two you haven't yet tried, exhaust these before proceeding.

3) They will most likely at this point issue you an RMA number along with shipping instructions and address -- these are usually emailed to you.

I've sometimes found that they don't read your explaination careful enough, so I try to keep it as short as possible while still including details on what's already been tried.

Shipping can be a hassle and an added expense that sometimes outwieghts the cost of replacing the item with a new one.

NCIX has a VIP membership that you can buy with money or trade with points you earn in various ways like posting reviews and clicking a link on the weekly newsletter. This VIP membership allows for FREE RMA shipping to NCIX as well as extended coverage for OEM products. If you buy parts for more than just your personal system, it is extremely advantageous to have this membership! I've had to use NCIX's RMA several times, and they have always been very helpful, quickly able to speak to a real person on the phone, quick to reply to emails and tickets, and gladly issue RMA numbers when all else fails.

I purchase a large percentage of my parts from NCIX due to this service, and don't mind paying a little extra for for it -- although NCIX's prices are usually the best anyway.

When packaging up your part for RMA return/shipping, follow the instructions to the letter. Include or do not include everything they want or do not want. Make sure the RMA number is clearly visible on the outside of the package, I usually write it on several sides.

I like to package the product retail box within another larger box with plenty of stuffing inside to eliminate any movement while still allowing some give if the package is knocked hard. I also package the product within it's retail box very carefully, making sure that nothing can move if/when the box is handled. For example, a motherboard and all it's accessories can shift a lot in it's retail packaging, so I will carefully organise the contents in such a way that nothing can move; I'll even add some crumpled newspaper inside to fill any gaps and stop the accessories from shifting. In the end, when you pick up the box and shake it, nothing should move. I then wrap the retail package in packing paper which hides any printing that may be on the box, and allows for any writing on the outside to stand out clearly.

boot: 4x WD Caviar SE16 250gb SATA2 Raid-0
backup: Seagate 500gb 32mb SATA2
eye: eVGA 9800GTX+ SC 512mb 770/2.25ghz
candy: Samsung 940B-HAS | X-Fi XMusic | Pioneer DVR-212D SATA
juice: PC Power & Cooling 750Quad | Cooler Master HAF932
steering: Logitech G15 & G5 | E3D Pro/Momo Wheel | X-530's