Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS NEWS > Suggestions & Feedback

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 16, 2010, 09:07 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiXT View Post
Quick question, I'm actually curious. When you go and visit other forums or websites, maybe through a google search or you know the website and visit them for reviews, news etc... Why don't you register for their forums?

What is it that stops you? Is the process of signing up to annoying, takes to much time, you don't know they have a forum?
After I run into a forum I usually hover around as a guest for a long time. If the people seem cool I'll register. I might have hovered here for a year before I bothered to register.
Old April 16, 2010, 10:02 AM
Hall of Fame

My System Specs

A question sort of based on my other question.

Say on other forums, would you be more inclined to register if the registration process was very simple, even if you may never visit there again?

All you had to do was put in a username, password and email and you could post right away?

Or is your decision to register entirely based on the community and your impressions of it and when you decide to register you don't care about how lengthy or annoying the process is?

Also would you be more inclined to register for a forum if you KNEW there were sections of the forum you couldn't access without registering?
Old April 16, 2010, 10:03 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolHandL View Post
Im only concerned because more people = more information, more information = good.
Depends. :)
I'm an active* member on many forums in my country (and mod too) and overseas and not always gazillions of members is good. If you're an active member on whatever forum you'll see in time who's reliable and who's just hanging around.
Personally I prefer a forum not too big but filled wit quality members. Here on HWC I feel like home, nice and knowledgeable members, nice and finesse mods, nice subjects and VERY nice reviews.

*active = thousands of posts on many of those forums.
Old April 16, 2010, 10:24 AM
Banned

Quote:
Quick question, I'm actually curious. When you go and visit other forums or websites, maybe through a google search or you know the website and visit them for reviews, news etc... Why don't you register for their forums?

What is it that stops you? Is the process of signing up to annoying, takes to much time, you don't know they have a forum?
If they have what I need I take the information then leave and use it. If and ONLY if I find the community:

1.) Funny
2.) Resourceful
3.) Mature

Then I MIGHT join the forums....but I do not want to join a whole lot of forums. I only join the ones that I believe would be the most helpful and where I would be accepted.
Old April 16, 2010, 10:56 AM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:

Say on other forums, would you be more inclined to register if the registration process was very simple, even if you may never visit there again?

All you had to do was put in a username, password and email and you could post right away?

Or is your decision to register entirely based on the community and your impressions of it and when you decide to register you don't care about how lengthy or annoying the process is?

Also would you be more inclined to register for a forum if you KNEW there were sections of the forum you couldn't access without registering?
The forum is what matters to me, not the registration process. If I'm interested in joining the forum, then I'll join it regardless of what I have to go through to register (providing it isn't unreasonable).

I only visit forums I register at and I only register at forums I'm interested in. So I'll register at a forum I want to visit anyways, whether or not there are sections that I can't view without having registered first.
Old April 16, 2010, 08:55 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:

The only time a registration stopped me is when it demanded I use an email other then hotmail or gmail.

A good community is what draws me in.
Old April 17, 2010, 10:46 PM
MVP

Content is what matters to me. Informative well managed forum is what keeps me coming back, I might not post much but I read the forum each day. As far as numbers go bigger is not always better. Maybe end up with more babble then discussion.
Old April 18, 2010, 08:34 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

For such a small forum, we make a big impact on the tech scene. Well I shouldn't say "we" I really mean the reviewing staff and website managers. You guys have really out done yourselves and this site gets noticed in the bussiness. The reviews are honest and practical. The staff are approachable and intelligent, the forum members are polite and knowledgeable and funny to boot.

My wish for this site is to become huge, which means more revenue for the hard working staff which will give them access to resources to do more reviews and to travel to more events for better coverage. But at the same time I like that it is small, because the community has a real good vibe, it's like living in a nieghborhood were you can leave your doors unlocked. Bigger is better for the bottom line but I hope we don't lose our identity. Make no mistake this site is going to be huge and it will expand, perhaps a print magazine? hint hint nudge nudge.

http://lh4.ggpht.com/nightwarp/R7YQuMGt-JI/AAAAAAAADoQ/KVuthG6qJfE/s400/Supportourtroops-2.jpg

Old April 18, 2010, 12:47 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Like many, I started coming here when looking for reviews, as I read a lot of them, and naturally took a gander at the forums while here. Aside from the obvious Canadian thing, I find it quite refreshing, really appeals to the enthusiast in me. Not the only forum that I participate in, but the one I find the most personally interesting, regular tech support stuff can get a tad wearying at times eh.
Old April 18, 2010, 04:29 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Heh, all the talks of your reason for coming here reminds me of how I got here. I used to go on NCIX's forums a lot, and a guy was going to sell a bunch of fans for really cheap, so he asked me to sign up here and talk in PM. Turned out it was my first encounter with a scammer.
However, it's the community and quality of information around here is what keeps me around. I like a relatively small forum group because it means we can all see threads and input on them before they disappear into anything but the first page.
Code:
<martin_metal_88> I think I am gonna sell my server
<firebane> i will offer pereniums mom
<firebane> slightly used
<Keltron> slightly is an understatement
<LPfan4ever> Who're you kidding...slightly?
<martin_metal_88> peri's mom, slightly used? lol...