Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Suggestions & Feedback (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/suggestions-feedback/)
-   -   HWC Instant Chat? (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/suggestions-feedback/30938-hwc-instant-chat.html)

chrisk April 12, 2010 08:18 PM

HWC Instant Chat?

This looks neat:
vBulletin Instant Messaging Addon--Free VBB Web Messenger, vBulletin Facebook Chat, Free vBulletin IM, Site Message Hosting Services, Free VBB 1 to 1 Chat Software, vBulletin Community Messenger

An instant chat window, similar to the Facebook chat window. I don't do the instant chat often, but could be handy at times.

FiXT April 12, 2010 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chriskwarren (Post 362667)
This looks neat:
vBulletin Instant Messaging Addon--Free VBB Web Messenger, vBulletin Facebook Chat, Free vBulletin IM, Site Message Hosting Services, Free VBB 1 to 1 Chat Software, vBulletin Community Messenger

An instant chat window, similar to the Facebook chat window. I don't do the instant chat often, but could be handy at times.

It is a great idea, having a feature like that would have many uses.
Unfortunately, I hate to say it, but it is unlikely happen. Part of the greatness of the internet and forums is the fact that information is stored there, potentially for eternity, and people can reference back to it. It also allows people from across the globe to be a part of the conversation, rather than just who ever is on at the time.
As I have seen with other forums, adding a chat feature, removes many posts and informational topics out of the forums, and into a temporary chat box, where nothing is stored, and only a select few are able to converse.

EDIT: Wait a minute. I took more time to read through, correct me if I am wrong, but this is a vbulletin IM feature correct? It is not a forum wide chat room - like an IRC thing - right?
Like an instant PM. (I don't use facebook sorry, not familiar with their chat system).

I'll read some more through it and make sure the idea get's passed along. I could see it being quite useful. Just need to weigh pro's and con's and make sure we can in fact integrate it in with the current forum.

crazyhorsejohnny April 12, 2010 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FiXT (Post 362677)
It is a great idea, having a feature like that would have many uses.
Unfortunately, I hate to say it, but it is unlikely happen. Part of the greatness of the internet and forums is the fact that information is stored there, potentially for eternity, and people can reference back to it. It also allows people from across the globe to be a part of the conversation, rather than just who ever is on at the time.
As I have seen with other forums, adding a chat feature, removes many posts and informational topics out of the forums, and into a temporary chat box, where nothing is stored, and only a select few are able to converse.

I'll make sure the idea gets passed along, I just don't know how feasible it would be :sad:

Hadn't thought of that but makes sense.

chrisk April 12, 2010 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FiXT (Post 362677)

EDIT: Wait a minute. I took more time to read through, correct me if I am wrong, but this is a vbulletin IM feature correct? It is not a forum wide chat room - like an IRC thing - right?
Like an instant PM. (I don't use facebook sorry, not familiar with their chat system).

I'll read some more through it and make sure the idea get's passed along. I could see it being quite useful. Just need to weigh pro's and con's and make sure we can in fact integrate it in with the current forum.

Yes; this would essentially be a replacement to PM. It would not work like IRC, but I think you could add more than one chat participant if invited. It could be configured to be like a forum wide one though as well, or just your "Friends list".

I do completely agree though; you would not want to have some great info getting buried in the chat process, but PM also has that risk.

SugarJ April 12, 2010 08:44 PM

I've run into the problem FiXT mentioned already. AkG gave me some info about SSD's that clarified any question I had, but it was in a chat box. I wish I'd kept it, or had it happen in a thread I could link for others.

_dangtx_ April 12, 2010 09:04 PM

interesting. but do we have the 24/7 mod presence in there to keep things in check flame wars or whatnot? :)

Zero82z April 12, 2010 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _dangtx_ (Post 362713)
interesting. but do we have the 24/7 mod presence in there to keep things in check flame wars or whatnot? :)

Just like PMs, anything you say in an IM is nobody's business but yours and the person you are talking to.