Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS NEWS > Suggestions & Feedback

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 6, 2010, 12:48 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Default Ultimate Watercooling Round-Up

Afternoon Canada!

I was just pretty bored, looking at watercooling setups, galleries, worklogs, reviews, etc... By the time I finished I think I went through more than 15 websites.

So I wonder, any way you guys can dedicate some of your time to put this together?

It could look like something like this:

(review methodologies are up to you to decide, performance, value or just plain who gives you the coolest temperatures)

- Top 5 radiators
- Top 5 pumps
- Top 5 coolants
- Top 5 tubing
- And so on

I know it could be quite a lot of work, but it will be guaranteed to bring in a lot of traffic for sure. To have such a condensed information spot is very handy. There are sites already that do include some reviews, but like I said, they are either VERY outdated or just do not offer the complete package.

Think about it HWC
Old April 6, 2010, 01:10 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Heh.... last time we did any kind of WC round-up it turned into a flamefest which rivalled (I honestly believe it was worse) the release of a Vid card platform..... ;)

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old April 6, 2010, 01:20 PM
F@H

My System Specs

WC setup methodolgy (unless sealed system) would be too complex to accomplish anything like what you want.
Don't get me wrong, I understand what you are saying but it is doubtful to happen.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old April 6, 2010, 01:22 PM
Banned
F@H

not too bad of an idea. id say more like x kit vs y kit, made from such and such manufacturers parts. with hw canucks being known around the web i dont think there should be trouble for co's to ship sky or akg or whoever does wc reviews said parts.
Old April 6, 2010, 01:41 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Water cooling possibly has the most complex (and strict) testing of any computer part... those are 5 parts of each you would need to mount 5 times, test 5 times (for temp, flow, pressure etc.) and then put into excel and make several graphs and review the results... all with IDENTICAL testing methodology for each one.

It's a small miracle itself that you can find 5 top rads or 5 top blocks alone, 5 top EVERYTHING.....
Old April 6, 2010, 02:24 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by _dangtx_ View Post
not too bad of an idea. id say more like x kit vs y kit, made from such and such manufacturers parts. with hw canucks being known around the web i dont think there should be trouble for co's to ship sky or akg or whoever does wc reviews said parts.
That ain't practical, kits don't perform as well as individual components, they are merely to help users set something up when they can't. I personally do not like this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soultribunal View Post
WC setup methodolgy (unless sealed system) would be too complex to accomplish anything like what you want.
Don't get me wrong, I understand what you are saying but it is doubtful to happen.

ST

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sushi Warrior View Post
Water cooling possibly has the most complex (and strict) testing of any computer part... those are 5 parts of each you would need to mount 5 times, test 5 times (for temp, flow, pressure etc.) and then put into excel and make several graphs and review the results... all with IDENTICAL testing methodology for each one.

It's a small miracle itself that you can find 5 top rads or 5 top blocks alone, 5 top EVERYTHING.....
Is not complex, it is time consuming but there is enough to work with out there to make this go seemlessly. HWC can round up these components from their respective companies and provide a nice review.

I am not asking to come up with the BEST watercooling SETUP there is. If you are comparing radiators to radiators, you do not have to change the pump/cpu block/liquid/etc to test each one. You can simply choose a "template" setup to work with and tests the radiators with.

Example:

Hardware list:
Core i7 920
3x 2GB Corsair Dominator
X58 Classified

Watercooling setup:
XSPC Reservoir
EK Pump
EK CPU Block
Liquid X
Tubes X

Then test 5 different radiators to see who gives you the best performance.

Next time you are reviewing CPU Blocks, you keep the same configuration provided above but if desired, use the radiator you chose as top performer above (or just pick a random one)

This could be done, trust me it would attract a lot of readers
Old April 6, 2010, 02:39 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I don't think you understand, this would take many, many, many times more effort and time than the GTX480 and 470 reviews combined... 5 (or around there) mounts, 5 (or whatever) tests (30min for idle temp, 30-60min for load temps?)... I don't know any other way to put it. It takes a VERY long time.
Old April 6, 2010, 02:50 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Mr. Diaz, do you watercool? I would think not from your casual assessment of how much time this would take. For me to drain a loop and swap a rad would take 30-45 minutes each. Leak test for a minimum of 6 hours, because I don't want to lose any more parts to leaks. Then do a couple hours of testing. You're looking at weeks of work. This is why there aren't a lot of people doing large comparison groups like this.
Old April 6, 2010, 03:18 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Ok, my point was completely ignored. That being said, forget I even mentioned anything
Old April 6, 2010, 03:21 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I was under the impression you were looking for HWC staff to review them. If that's not the case, please explain.