Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS NEWS > Suggestions & Feedback

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 6, 2010, 03:29 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

That is indeed the case, but nowhere did I say it was something to be done overnight. I am aware of how much time and dedication this will take, is it something worth having at some point? Definately. HWC doesn't also have to release the whole thing in a matter of weeks, can do Radiators first, work on that for a while and maybe next month release another component roundup. Looking in a few months time you will have a very nice looking list. Also I should point out, I did not refer to review EACH component, just a brief description, where is it from (company/make) The top 5 evaluation would come from the testing on who gives you the better temperatures.

The GTX 4xx sure did take a lot of time to review and analyze. However, I have to say that it was the best review I've read on HWC. That brings pride and joy.

Regards,
Manuel
Old April 6, 2010, 03:39 PM
F@H

My System Specs

All right, and the point I was trying to make is that it is the swapping and proper testing of the WC components that takes the time, not the write-up. With the lineup of parts the HWC reviewers already have backlogged, I can't see it happening any time soon. As I'm sure you can appreciate, watercooling is for a small group of enthusiasts (I'm one myself), compared to the larger number of viewers and members who care about SSD's and mobo's for example.
Old April 6, 2010, 05:27 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I think before this ever happens I would rather see an aircooler, HDD/SSD, or full PSU round-up.

TBH I think everything you need to find has been posted by Skinnee, he runs a pretty niche reviewing site and is still probably the #1 WC reviewer.
Old April 6, 2010, 05:39 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

I think for something like this you would need a dedicated reviewer just for watercooling. If I recall correctly, HWC reviewers review multiple products, so they would probably need fewer reviews of other things, or do their reviews half-assed to keep up with the current pace of reviews.
Fold for team #54196
Old April 7, 2010, 06:12 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskwarren View Post
I think for something like this you would need a dedicated reviewer just for watercooling. If I recall correctly, HWC reviewers review multiple products, so they would probably need fewer reviews of other things, or do their reviews half-assed to keep up with the current pace of reviews.
Well that would be even better, not sure how they run their business though.
Old April 7, 2010, 07:10 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I am having the same argument on my home forum with someone about how I test air cooler heatsinks. Honestly, people that do not write reviews have no idea at all at how much work it takes to produce even the simplest review. Secondly, nearly none of us are getting paid to do reviews. We have families, jobs and lives. Far too much is expected now-a-days from reviewers and it is no wonder those that do them tend to quit quickly.

Roundups like this are a nightmare and there is no doubt you cannot produce one that would attain any credibility for the 100+ hours it would take to produce it. I for one would not even touch it.

As for a single dedicated person to do water cooling, good luck there as well. between the companies being nearly unwilling to send review samples to the tremendous commitment that would be required IF you could get companies that would send samples, I don't see it working.
Old April 7, 2010, 07:26 AM
F@H

My System Specs

You hit the nail right on the head there B1lk1.

The biggest problem too is companies to send us samples to do the actual reviews otherwise that would be comming out of the reviewers Pocket, which MrDiaz is not going to happen.

There are a lot of hurdles and issues in order to do this correctly and alas not likely to happen in the near future for sure unless some companies change their practices.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old April 7, 2010, 08:06 AM
Banned

Hi everyone, here a good link for reviews and lab tests on WC equipments

Martin's Liquid Lab
Old April 7, 2010, 08:10 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

I looked into doing something like this last year, and to be honest you are looking at a month to month and a half PER section to do it right. Thats 6 wks straight just doing radiators (for example) to the exclusion of all else. To realisticly do just the four items you suggest it would be be a good 5mths of nothing but WC gear. That to put it bluntly would burn out ANY volunteer reviewer. In that time it would mean A) no more air cooler reviews b) no more storage c) no more "other" reviews. A+B+C = not a good investment of time. Sorry.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old April 7, 2010, 11:54 AM
Hall Of Fame

I agree with lots here.. Though it would be nice to see a round-up, it really isn't possible. Getting the required samples isn't happening, that is why you see more air cooled heatsinks getting reviewed than you see a waterblock (for e.g.) getting reviewed, manufacturers aren't willing to send samples.

Ok let's assume samples are sent, like it has been said here couple times already, there are no dedicated reviewers paid to just do reviews, we have families to support, lives to live, work to do, though still you have to give a credit to the review team here, the time management they have is unbelievable, even with their busy lives, full time jobs, families, they still end up reviewing many products.

Finally, we have great sponsors like Dazmode who occasionally do round-ups or individual part reviews, why.. because he himself has a water cooling store and can manage to do reviews.

Take an example of a radiator, a review sample is sent, well bent fins = radiator is almost useless, well imagine if the reviewer damages more (except the review team here :D), the product is almost absolute, useless.. that is why nobody wants to really send out water cooling samples.. there's too much risk involved.

No hard feelings, just a way to explain. And I still love the review team here.. my favorite, can't live without this forum and them :p... :)
Samsung 931BW 19" LCD, Logitech MX Revolution