Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS NEWS > Suggestions & Feedback

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 4, 2010, 02:31 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

I also agree that this is a decent idea, and I also am willing to donate time to help out in this regard. And, while I appreciate that the vast majority of the forum readers here are capable of making their own decisions, something like this would actually work to draw in new readers to the site. Unfortunately, I can also see it bringing the writers choices in to question, with heated debates over preferences. Worse yet, the fanboy element gets really heavy with something like this.

Sharky Extreme used to do an article like this twice a year I think. One build with $1000 budget, and another build with a $2000 budget. Basically they spelled out the best build for that budget, and the reasons for the hardware choices they made. Usually they would also tag on to the end comments that would state some changes that could be made to the build depending on what you needed.

Something I'd thought of before, that's similar to this, would be a 'budget build off' type of article. Something done up with varying stages of budgets against each other, the 'green team' vs the 'red team'. Both sides put together a mid range, single card system on a specific budget, and both sides put together a high end XFire/SLI system on a higher budget. This would be something along the same lines as the OP's idea, but would add a (hopefully) good natured rivalry going between 'build teams'. It would also benefit the readers, as they'd get a build to look at in a couple budgets on both sides of the video card/chipset fence.
*Edit* (This could also be varied to be AMD vs Intel as well. Or some combination of both.)

The problem here, of course, is that something like this would take quite a bit of organization. Also, all builds competing against eachother would be theoretical, as it's impossible to have all the hardware to build with on hand to put out benchmark numbers. However you could do theoretical builds on each side, then have readers vote on their favorite. It could be a semi-annual thing that you could even work in to a contest of some kind. And, from the sounds of it, you have enough volunteers to pull it off...

Just spewing random thoughts here of course...
Old April 4, 2010, 06:04 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

I must say I browsed through the previous post, but I wanted to submit the format I like, Pcperspective.com hardware leaderboard. Th editor classifies the systems from dream, high end, mid range, budget.

here is the link, great stuff in my mind :

PC Perspective - Hardware Leaderboard

Sold hardware again.....
Currently using WHS hardware....
Old April 4, 2010, 06:12 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Why not just have a database of sorts that takes all the gear people put in their systems rig and organizes it so people can see what is most bought by the members of the site?

I dunno, anything that isn't automated sounds like far too much work for extremely little gain..

You have to make sure that whoever is reading these systems is also signing up for the forums; otherwise we're doing work and putting forth effort and not gaining new and contributing members.. and that's an exausting waste of the people who are involved' time.
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in the immediately preceding post are those of encorp and do not reflect the views and/or opinions of family, friends, or anyone remotely associated with encorp unless explicitly stated. encorp does not make any warranty, express or implied, or assumes any liability or responsibility for the quality, factuality or use of information in the immediately preceding post.
Old April 5, 2010, 09:53 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by encorp View Post
Why not just have a database of sorts that takes all the gear people put in their systems rig and organizes it so people can see what is most bought by the members of the site?

I dunno, anything that isn't automated sounds like far too much work for extremely little gain..

You have to make sure that whoever is reading these systems is also signing up for the forums; otherwise we're doing work and putting forth effort and not gaining new and contributing members.. and that's an exausting waste of the people who are involved' time.

It would have to be automated because of how much people here upgrade it would be a full time job keeping up without pay.
Something linked to system specs in profile? Be hard to do no?
Old April 5, 2010, 10:03 AM
Quadfather

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by encorp View Post

So let's see.... 80% = i7 920, 15% = 1156 build, 5% = Other.

That's lame. Yawn builds "Oooooh lookie! Another core i7 Overclocked build! Im original!" lol
Old April 5, 2010, 10:08 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMetaphor View Post

That's lame. Yawn builds "Oooooh lookie! Another core i7 Overclocked build! Im original!" lol

You can tell he's an AMD guy no . But your right not too much originality but why mess with a good thing.
Old April 5, 2010, 11:19 AM
Banned

I have to say no to this. Why? It is not necessary. What is HWC approved? Each build is suited to the USER...not the site. So unless Bill starts selling those HWC Corsairs 800D's to us users I do not see the point in this other than E-Peen abusers.
Old April 5, 2010, 11:21 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMetaphor View Post

Haha exactly my point. There's no difference between that and an approved builds section; because the gear would be the exact same crap the majority of the people here already use...

maybe a .5% section for quad quaders such as yourself LOL
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in the immediately preceding post are those of encorp and do not reflect the views and/or opinions of family, friends, or anyone remotely associated with encorp unless explicitly stated. encorp does not make any warranty, express or implied, or assumes any liability or responsibility for the quality, factuality or use of information in the immediately preceding post.
Old April 5, 2010, 11:38 AM
MVP

I dont think automated system specs would be a great idea. That more of a historic view, even from a group of constant upgraders. I imagine you would see a lot of I7 920's right now, but would you put a 920 into a new I7 build? Probably not that many builds with USB3 or SATA3 yet either. Maybe if the build date or date range was included....
Old April 5, 2010, 12:27 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digikid View Post
I have to say no to this. Why? It is not necessary. What is HWC approved? Each build is suited to the USER...not the site. So unless Bill starts selling those HWC Corsairs 800D's to us users I do not see the point in this other than E-Peen abusers.
System Buyers' Guide: PCs for Under $1000 - AnandTech :: Your Source for Hardware Analysis and News

Solves the problem that you mentioned. Different section for entry level, mainstream, gaming, etc.