Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS NEWS > Suggestions & Feedback

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 3, 2010, 12:55 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I think its a good idea but at the same time i can see how it may end up being a little more complicated then expected as someone else has stated that prices on computer parts change it seems almost daily sometimes and updating the location/price of the build would be rather tricky. One way around this could be saying that its in x to y price range then you dont have to update it as much as long as it stays within the given price ranges.

I would just also hope to see that people (if they are members) who do it also dont lean towards some of their favourite parts all the time as well since even if you like brand/company/model x, brand/company/model y may end up being better for certain applications that the system is supposed to be designed for
Old April 3, 2010, 01:07 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Id be willing to help out with this, price out maybe 4 systems in various price ranges. I would say updating monthly would be sufficient, as week to week our recommendation for parts isn't going to change, only the pricing will go down slightly.
Old April 3, 2010, 01:51 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by odis172 View Post
Id be willing to help out with this, price out maybe 4 systems in various price ranges. I would say updating monthly would be sufficient, as week to week our recommendation for parts isn't going to change, only the pricing will go down slightly.
That could make it different from Tom's Hardware, this could be the "Sale" rig of the week, you could always have the best prices and sales... you don't actually need to benchmark or build the rig like Tom's does either.

But now I sound like I am contradicting myself..
Old April 3, 2010, 02:06 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I realized we are discussing this in 2 threads. Thought I better put my comments in here, more appropriate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMetaphor
Perhaps i shouldnt have said fanboy, lol. But nonetheless, the more i think of this idea the more i like it.
Think of it, each month (which isnt too much to ask from members like me that are around for hours everyday) each senior member submits a build idea, including suggested parts, theme, reasons why, etc. We would then just have to decide which members want to participate and how each system "type" will be assigned or chosen. For example: For the month of May, I'm asked to build a new HTPC based off Intel/Nvidia (Yes, i would do it, lol). So I have the next few weeks to research some parts that I, myself, would theoretically buy and put the whole system together (most likely using NCIX for links to parts). Then come May, my submission would be posted along with those of some other senior members and we can each explain why we chose each part and why.

Meta likes.

OK, here's my suggestion. We set 3 budget amounts (like $500, $1000, $1500). I'd suggest that we leave monitors and keyboards/mice out of the list/budget amount, but include the OS. Then members post their submissions to a thread for May "$xxx build of the month", including a short blurb on why they chose the specific parts. Can be either AMD or Intel based. And we ask someone on the editorial staff to randomly pick 6 builds, one for each of AMD and Intel for each amount. And write a short intro, with a link to the thread with ALL of the submitted builds for the month.

So you'd have an main page intro, "martin_metal_88's $500 AMD build of the month", "CMetaphors $1500 Intel build of the month" , and so on. And a link to a thread where all of the monthly submissions are posted.

You set a deadline a week to 10 days before the end of the month. And call for submissions.

I think this would be a good way to get the monthly $xxx builds up on the front page, and encourage member participation.

Feel free to critique, I recently leveled up and got my "Iron Skin" perk.
Old April 3, 2010, 02:09 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by bovine.baron View Post
It shouldn't actually need that much updating; probably just a major revamp each generation and edits when really big things happen. We could always just have something like this. You know, just with less 4chan-isms.
Exactly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by encorp View Post
I don't even see why this would be needed or helpful..

I think it spells things out far too easy... I believe if a user is coming here to build a new system they are LOOKING to learn more and get in depth and would benefit from choosing their own parts through their own understanding.

Really, when it comes down to it I don't think this would do anything beneficial at all.
Having this would not take away from that at all, it would simply add to the overall experience. I am not suggesting that this replace anything.

Well basically that is my suggestion, do with it what you will.
Old April 3, 2010, 02:35 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

They had this in CPU magazine back when I was still subscribed. Two reviewers/gamers had to build computers for a specific task (gaming, multimedia, htpc) and would be on a budget. Then they'd compare the two and say why they picked the parts, etc. I remember it was pretty interesting.

Not sure if they still do this, or if anyone else reads CPU magazine and remembers it.
Old April 3, 2010, 05:23 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarJ View Post
I'd suggest that we leave monitors and keyboards/mice out of the list/budget amount, but include the OS.
I would actually suggest that the OS be left out as well. Different Windows versions are useful for different people (your average person doesn't need more than Home Premium, but some might need or want Professional or Ultimate), and some people might want to go with Linux instead of Windows altogether. And some people may just want to keep using an OS license from a previous build as well.
Old April 3, 2010, 08:39 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarJ View Post
I realized we are discussing this in 2 threads. Thought I better put my comments in here, more appropriate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMetaphor
Perhaps i shouldnt have said fanboy, lol. But nonetheless, the more i think of this idea the more i like it.
Think of it, each month (which isnt too much to ask from members like me that are around for hours everyday) each senior member submits a build idea, including suggested parts, theme, reasons why, etc. We would then just have to decide which members want to participate and how each system "type" will be assigned or chosen. For example: For the month of May, I'm asked to build a new HTPC based off Intel/Nvidia (Yes, i would do it, lol). So I have the next few weeks to research some parts that I, myself, would theoretically buy and put the whole system together (most likely using NCIX for links to parts). Then come May, my submission would be posted along with those of some other senior members and we can each explain why we chose each part and why.

Meta likes.

OK, here's my suggestion. We set 3 budget amounts (like $500, $1000, $1500). I'd suggest that we leave monitors and keyboards/mice out of the list/budget amount, but include the OS. Then members post their submissions to a thread for May "$xxx build of the month", including a short blurb on why they chose the specific parts. Can be either AMD or Intel based. And we ask someone on the editorial staff to randomly pick 6 builds, one for each of AMD and Intel for each amount. And write a short intro, with a link to the thread with ALL of the submitted builds for the month.

So you'd have an main page intro, "martin_metal_88's $500 AMD build of the month", "CMetaphors $1500 Intel build of the month" , and so on. And a link to a thread where all of the monthly submissions are posted.

You set a deadline a week to 10 days before the end of the month. And call for submissions.

I think this would be a good way to get the monthly $xxx builds up on the front page, and encourage member participation.

Feel free to critique, I recently leveled up and got my "Iron Skin" perk.
I agree with this I think it would be a good idea. I know that people can just go ask about new builds easy enough but this could allow them to see right off the bat what some of the more experienced people would select. Then they could take that knowledge and tailor make it to themselves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero82z View Post
I would actually suggest that the OS be left out as well. Different Windows versions are useful for different people (your average person doesn't need more than Home Premium, but some might need or want Professional or Ultimate), and some people might want to go with Linux instead of Windows altogether. And some people may just want to keep using an OS license from a previous build as well.
I also happen to agree with this as well. I know that whenever I build a system I don't ever factor in the OS. Plus as Zero82z says some people will want pro/ultimate while others would go for home, etc.

Old April 4, 2010, 10:19 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaine View Post
I also happen to agree with this as well. I know that whenever I build a system I don't ever factor in the OS. Plus as Zero82z says some people will want pro/ultimate while others would go for home, etc.
I would like to see an OS built in, as most people that will be purchasing parts based on our package recommendation, are probably not quite experienced enough to be comfortable with picking the parts or OS themselves. Including the OS would provide a dollar figure that is alot closer to what they are actually going to be paying. Also, for the vast majority of people taking advantage of this, Windows 7 Premium would be the best option. We could include 7 premium, with a note that if they may like to: join a domain, utilize xpmode, or remote in, then Professional may be the OS of choice.

Last edited by odis172; April 4, 2010 at 05:53 PM.
Old April 4, 2010, 01:00 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Interesting idea, but it would take an awful lot of work to implement.

As we're tossing around ideas here.... how about a quarterly member driven (through polls) process?

Gigabyte C1007UN-D / 2X4G Gskill PC3-10700 / Pico PSU / 2.5" 750G Toshiba HDD / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 19" BenQ / 1X 17" HP