Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS NEWS > Suggestions & Feedback

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 2, 2010, 10:07 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I like this idea. AnandTech does this and imo, solves a lot of "critique my build" threads.
Old April 2, 2010, 10:37 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0o0 View Post
If you really need it, try the ncix system builder thingy. I've never used it before, I don't even know how it works but all I know is that people actually use it
I don't know if it's still a problem but 6 months ago the prices in the pc builder weren't the same as if you put them in your carts manually. Just an FYI!!
Old April 2, 2010, 11:07 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I would help out on this if you ever needed any help, I have enough spare time... and I'm pretty sure I always have a great idea of what is the best bang for your buck.
Old April 2, 2010, 11:37 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

It shouldn't actually need that much updating; probably just a major revamp each generation and edits when really big things happen. We could always just have something like this. You know, just with less 4chan-isms.

Old April 3, 2010, 01:04 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I don't even see why this would be needed or helpful..

I think it spells things out far too easy... I believe if a user is coming here to build a new system they are LOOKING to learn more and get in depth and would benefit from choosing their own parts through their own understanding.

Really, when it comes down to it I don't think this would do anything beneficial at all.
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in the immediately preceding post are those of encorp and do not reflect the views and/or opinions of family, friends, or anyone remotely associated with encorp unless explicitly stated. encorp does not make any warranty, express or implied, or assumes any liability or responsibility for the quality, factuality or use of information in the immediately preceding post.
Old April 3, 2010, 03:56 AM
MVP
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonsterSound View Post
As far as a PC for my mother goes, I would recommend keeping an eye on the specials from the big chains. Most of the time I can't build a decent PC with an OS for the kind of low prices <$400 they offer. Get rid of the bloatware on some of these sale machines, and you've given mom a decent setup.
imho

^^ true dat

-or- you can check out the $big_box_store's budget systems and then make a knockoff with the same (or similar) kit and throw on a free linux distro for her needs. You get the pride of building it, guaranteed compatibility of the various parts, and no bloat.

-or- like was already said- just post your requirements and someone will offer help, custom-suited for you.

I don't think it's feasible to keep a 'suggested build for X dollars' posted for more than a few days (sometimes hours) without updates.
Old April 3, 2010, 07:58 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I don't really like this idea because its like Tom's articles. Second of all as KeepSix mentioned, hardware prices change daily, there is no way to post a build that is relevant from week to week basis...

-Plato
Old April 3, 2010, 08:44 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

As long as you don't use sale prices (I think Newegg.ca has the most stable prices....) and you update it every few days, it should be very relevant. Hell, you don't even have to link to where you buy the stuff, that makes it much less volatile.
Old April 3, 2010, 12:25 PM
Hall of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by encorp View Post
I don't even see why this would be needed or helpful..

I think it spells things out far too easy... I believe if a user is coming here to build a new system they are LOOKING to learn more and get in depth and would benefit from choosing their own parts through their own understanding.
The forums are still a hidden gem of Hardware Canucks - visitors to the actual forum is much less than to the website/reviews. Your right, if someone signs up to the forums, they are likely looking for more advice.

I think this would serve the visitors to website more than it would forum members, and we would try and encourage people to move into the forums to address further questions or to adapt a recommended build.
Old April 3, 2010, 12:34 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Maybe approach a major online retailer, and use their prices for the build. The retailer might be inclined to sponsor HWC, or even donate a prize or two for draws.
Fold for team #54196