Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS NEWS > Suggestions & Feedback

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 4, 2010, 06:40 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default Video Card comparison chart

Just curious if this is ever gonna see the light of day? I really like the CPU chart (although it doesn't seem to get a very wide spectrum of updates), and have used it several times in comparisons. However, the GPU chart would be, by far, the most used.

I'd even be willing to help out if it's just a matter of data entry in to a chart that nobody has the time to do.
Old February 4, 2010, 06:44 PM
Hall of Fame

My System Specs

Not sure on the status of video card charts to be honest.

Currently CPU charts are setting up for v2.0 with the current CPU's - They are a bit outdated and we needed to find a better way to reduce the time it takes to benchmark; took roughly 1 CPU/day :S - Provided there were no problems

And Intel isn't exactly helping with their ridiculous produce lines.

Nice to know that the feature is at least in demand! We'll try and see what can be done about getting the lead out with the video card charts I'll throw your name off to Gav that your willing to do some data entry... I know we were trying to get all of the PSUs updated just a while ago but got sidetracked
Old February 4, 2010, 07:00 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Thanks for the heads up! And good to know the charts are at least on the back-burner rather than completely off the stove. I know projects like this can get very overwhelming considering the shear number of tests/benchmarks needed to be run to keep it going.
Old February 4, 2010, 07:46 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Caldezar isn't the only one who likes charts I use them too, always dissapointed to see the GPU chart not available, but it is a very nice feature to have.
Old February 4, 2010, 08:08 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

yeah this would be awesome, i look up card comparisons all the time
Old February 5, 2010, 12:53 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Video Card Comparison - GPUReview.com - That only compares specs, not benchamrk numbers. Would also be nice to see something like that on this site too though :P
Old February 6, 2010, 07:42 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

All I can say is good luck to the poor soul that is responsible for testing and rating video cards and even more torturous, setting up a comparison chart. If there was one defacto benchmark that could be used to properly rank all cards then it would be easy. But the real problem in my eye's is that no matter how hard someone tries to set stuff like this up, there are benchmarks that don't add up for all people and then the critic's start breaking it down. Ever wonder why Tom's hardware stopped doing it? They sure didn't gain from it. I don't honestly see much use in compiling this when hardware and games all change in such a short cycle rendering 100's of hours testing useless once a new super-game gets released and everyone will want benchmarks from that. It is a nice thought, but it is an exercise in futility to even try to get it done.
Old February 6, 2010, 08:55 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

What you need is an automated tool chain that will run your full set of benchmarks. Basically, you only need to plug in the card and install the correct drivers, then you start your bench tool. Then it'd start FRAPS, record min, avg and max FPS, reboot, do another game, etc. It would log the results in a temp SQL table, then once it's done you can review it and push a "results look ok, put it in main charts" button.

It might take 2 or 3 weeks to develop, but if you're testing every card that comes out you'll come out ahead rather quickly.