Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Suggestions & Feedback (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/suggestions-feedback/)
-   -   Hard time to register (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/suggestions-feedback/27964-hard-time-register.html)

johnieboy January 19, 2010 10:43 AM

Hard time to register

preamble: I am german, so if you find any grammatical or spelling mistakes, please forgive me :biggrin:

Hello everybody,

after only reading this site for a few years i decided to register myself today. But it seems that this site is blocking almost every german email provider... and no, i dont use any yahoo or hotmail accounts.

Not a single emailaddress with the German .de ending was accepted! And i tried several of them, for example onlinehome.de, gmx.de or web.de :angry2:

I was only able to register here after i created a hushmail.com account.

Is there a reason for that?

greets johnieboy

FiXT January 19, 2010 11:13 AM

I believe it all has to do with spam and the free email accounts from which a majority of spam comes from. Free email german addresses are not alone - I believe the entire Russian (.ru) domain has been blocked as that consists of a good 50%+- of spam that comes through, certain Chinese and British domains have been blacklisted as well. There are also specific American email domains primarily associated with spam that make the list.

The domains aren't specifically listed as the number of blacklisted emails domains I have seen number in the tens of thousands.

I will inquire as to whether we can put a clear noticed in our registration form about the policies in place to avoid further confusion.

rk January 19, 2010 11:14 AM

Sorry for the inconvenience. In the past, we have been getting a lot of spammers from country-based domains. So we had to ban a few countries' domains for email addresses. This includes .cn, .lv, .ru, .biz, etc.

Recently, we've been getting more visitors from Germany (2% of visitors). We will evaluate this again if we should pull the ban from .de addresses.

johnieboy January 19, 2010 11:44 AM

Thx for your answers

Quote:

Originally Posted by FiXT (Post 320261)
I believe it all has to do with spam and the free email accounts from which a majority of spam comes from. Free email german addresses are not alone - I believe the entire Russian (.ru) domain has been blocked as that consists of a good 50%+- of spam that comes through, certain Chinese and British domains have been blacklisted as well. There are also specific American email domains primarily associated with spam that make the list.

The domains aren't specifically listed as the number of blacklisted emails domains I have seen number in the tens of thousands.

I see the necessity of keeping the spam out of the forum, but not all german domains were sources of spam :blarg:
onlinehome.de, where i have registerd the majority of my emailadresses, belongs to 1und1.de, which is one of the largest german internet provider. You can only get that that emailadress if you are a customer.

Quote:

Originally Posted by FiXT (Post 320261)
I will inquire as to whether we can put a clear noticed in our registration form about the policies in place to avoid further confusion.

This would help a lot, it took me almost 1,5h to register because of all the receted emailadresses!
I guess not everyone has that endurance.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rk (Post 320262)
Sorry for the inconvenience. In the past, we have been getting a lot of spammers from country-based domains. So we had to ban a few countries' domains for email addresses. This includes .cn, .lv, .ru, .biz, etc.

Recently, we've been getting more visitors from Germany (2% of visitors). We will evaluate this again if we should pull the ban from .de addresses.

Looking forward to it :thumb:

rk January 19, 2010 12:02 PM

We have decided to lift the ban on .de email addresses.

Thanks for your feedback, johnieboy, and welcome to the forums :).

johnieboy January 19, 2010 12:43 PM

Thx, i appreciate that a lot :bananafunky:

Now i can change to my regular email address and dump that strange hushmail accont :biggrin:

johnieboy