Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS NEWS > Suggestions & Feedback

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 1, 2010, 05:16 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photograph View Post
Looks and works fine to me on my iPod Touch.
True, but on a Blackberry with their terrible browser, it takes forever to load and doesn't fit very well, even with an HVGA screen.
Old February 1, 2010, 05:41 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Looks fine on my iPhone, wouldn't mind using a mobile version for the forums.
Old February 1, 2010, 05:49 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

I am no coder, but I would think the forums (since its a database) would not be too tricky to implement. If the rest of the site is the same, then I would think there would be some plugin that could be used. If I remember correctly, this site uses vBulletin..no? Mobile/Cell Phone Style - vBulletin.org Forum
Fold for team #54196
Old February 1, 2010, 06:00 PM
Banned
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk View Post
The problem with a mobile site is, it will lack a lot of the current features of the website. Our website has been customized a lot that getting all the features to work on mobile browsers will not be an easy task to do.

By the way, if we ever fully support mobile layouts, which part of the website do you use the most?
- The front page (news, review listing, etc)
- The reviews
- The forum?

if it's gone to remove the feature we have in our PC browser ... better forget this mobile thing...
Old February 1, 2010, 06:27 PM
Hall of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskwarren View Post
I am no coder, but I would think the forums (since its a database) would not be too tricky to implement. If the rest of the site is the same, then I would think there would be some plugin that could be used. If I remember correctly, this site uses vBulletin..no? Mobile/Cell Phone Style - vBulletin.org Forum

Is it forum's that people want for mobile? Our idea is to allow for an entire mobile website including news and reviews which it was assumed would be the primary focus. This requires a total redesign.
Creating a "light" picture free version/rescaled version of the reviews, mobile homepage for news etc. etc.

Also its likely the major focus would be for Webkit based devices.

While I currently run WinMo with Opera and have no problems with standard layout - I currently plug most of my RSS feeds from websites through here: http://www.google.com/gwt/n
Works wonders.
Old February 1, 2010, 06:43 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiXT View Post
Is it forum's that people want for mobile? Our idea is to allow for an entire mobile website including news and reviews which it was assumed would be the primary focus. This requires a total redesign.
Creating a "light" picture free version/rescaled version of the reviews, mobile homepage for news etc. etc.
I don't think the idea of reading an entire hardware review on a 3-inch screen is particularly appealing. What I would want personally is just a mobile version of the forums that I can pop in and look around for a few minutes. I doubt I would make use of a mobile version of the entire site very often.
Old February 1, 2010, 07:04 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

If a mobile version was ever released, I would be most interested in seeing the latest news, and if possible, the ability to track your folding stats (like the box thingy in my sig). If it's not too much trouble, a mobile version of the forums would be nice but not entirely necessary (for me anyways).

There is an app for the folding stats, but is available only on apple devices with a mic. Why a mic is needed, I have no clue. I just tried installing it yesterday only to be greeted with this incompatibility message on my first gen ipod touch.

In any case, the normal version of HWC is superb, keep up the good work. It's a Damn Good Site :P
Old February 2, 2010, 07:03 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero82z View Post
I don't think the idea of reading an entire hardware review on a 3-inch screen is particularly appealing.
Its not as bad as you'd think...I do it quite often. The site works perfectly with a iphone but its awful with the browser in my work BB but I think thats more of a BB problem.