Misoprostol

that's not a bad idea......
Old October 14, 2007, 04:05 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misoprostol View Post
It makes it DRAMATICALLY harder to search the forum for information when everyone's sig has a bunch of hardware crap in it.
Example: trying to find info on the E6600 will bring up every post made by someone with an E6600 in their sig.
Make your search more specific? That is what I and others do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
OTOH, if there was a self generating sig image plug-in that could include hardware info on a low-res standard size sig block image, the keywords wouldn't pick it off of a graphic.
Even with ten posts per page they would still be a pita. Even with that little most if not all would be downloading at the same time (assuming the rest of the site had finished loading first of course) and when you get a bunch of crap downloading at the same time things can come to a somewhat surprising crawl.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misoprostol View Post
that's not a bad idea......
Move to an area where dialup is basically the best available connection (dishes fail in every way imaginable and thus do not count) and let us see if you still feel up to truthfully saying that. Better yet! Screw 56k, we need to set you up on 14K.. (says a person who has actually used a SupraExpress 144 Plus for a while within the past couple months. >_> )

[high_probability_for_run-on_sentences_mode__aka_MJ_Bitch_Mode]
Most people I know who have high speed connections and have gone somewhere or something and used dialup tend to freak out about the bandwidth and lag.
See, these people never really knew what it was to have a truly slow connection despite bitching about their "slow" 5Mbit down & 1Mbit up. This seems to happen to mostly everybody, they assume everyone has decent connections and so they go overboard with the splurgingnessige action when designing sites or making posts. As a result of going overboard more strain is put on servers and the user's connection and it wastes significant amounts of time.

It is somewhat akin to bloat in operating systems. Companies like M$ and Apple to an extent(I use the word extent because Mac OS 10.4 can still actually be used on things like a 400Mhz G4 w/ 16MB Rage 128 Pro AGP and 512MB RAM.. But 10.5 ups the bar and I am not really sure how that would run on older systems yet) assume everybody has the latest hardware so they go overboard and totally deck out their OS with flashy useless eye-candy(that just bogs the OS down more on top of badly written code that they are too lazy to fix because computers are apparently so fast) just to show off or to hypnotize users or something. *sigh* I don't know.

The same thing is happening with games. No longer do you(or at least I) hear people going on about gameplay. Nowadays it is all about graphics and what "game" has the most extravagant looking ones. Does not matter if it has the equivalent of a pile of faecal matter as story and such and can be beaten in around an hour or two (is that _really_ worth $40-$70?). It is complete BS as far as I am concerned, this has got to be some sort of record low for the sinking of the human race in this area.

How can people just sit back and take it? Don't they care?
[/high_probability_for_run-on_sentences_mode__aka_MJ_Bitch_Mode]
/me goes off to sulk and bitch about being in the wrong generation.
Old October 14, 2007, 05:09 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Heh.....

Don't hold back. Tell us what you really think....... :)

This is all theoretical as I know absolutely nothing about coding a simple webpage, let alone working with vBulletin, but I know there is a feature which allows an administrator to automatically turn off sigs in individual threads. I'm guessing that it would be possible to include sig pics in the "turn off user pictures" option for individual users.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old October 15, 2007, 12:26 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
Heh.....
Don't hold back. Tell us what you really think....... :)
:\
Is it just me or does that sound sarcastic?
If by any chance it is not sarcastic, don't encourage me. I don't really want to get started on cars, home appliances, clothing and more at the moment.
Old October 15, 2007, 12:57 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacJunky View Post
:\
Is it just me or does that sound sarcastic?
If by any chance it is not sarcastic, don't encourage me. I don't really want to get started on cars, home appliances, clothing and more at the moment.
Actually no, I don't think sarcasm was intended. I enjoy reading "rants" from time to time, and agree wholeheartedly with the great majority of what you wrote.

I'm especially on-board with your views of the current state of the gaming industry....

I have great memories of early games with pretty crappy graphics, yet the gameplay was so well though out and balanced that I literally got years of use out of those titles.

It's unfortunate that they don't make games like Elite, Civilization (original), or Pirates Gold any more.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old October 15, 2007, 11:21 AM
Trial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BALISTX View Post
We should incorporate an Add a System thing like they have at overclock.net where on the left it shows the Intel, AMD, NVIDIA and ATI logos depending on your system and at the bottom in the signature automatically have your system. It would require a form to be made where we enter in our system information.
Stumbled over this thread recently, and my free vBulletin mods can help you out with this:

Extra Profile Fields Page - vBulletin.org Forum
Additional Section within Profile and Dropdown within Posts - vBulletin.org Forum

I agree though, the one @ Overclockers.net is better than mine :)