Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS NEWS > Suggestions & Feedback

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 16, 2009, 01:06 PM
Allstar

Default Do we have an official Fundraiser/Charity computers for kids?

I remember a forum member that posted his offer here to gather parts to build PCs' for kids. I just recently started cleaning my storage and found: 8800gts, Radeon 3870, old Athlon 2000. So I thought I might offer these to this individual or a charity that specializes in this.
Old November 17, 2009, 06:06 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

We've had a couple scams with people asking for parts to build for themselves or their friends, and we have since put an end to that.

In terms of charity though, SKYMTL does sell off some of the items he reviews and that money goes to the Heart & Stroke Foundation at the end of each year. Very nice idea. Now if I was economically stable right now I would do the same thing for some of my parts and that money would go to help fighting Retinitis Pigmentosa, a disease that my mom has.
Old November 17, 2009, 06:17 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

ERA.CA - Calgary, Edmonton, Vancouver computer recycling and donations

In my neck of the woods...
Old November 17, 2009, 04:29 PM
Trial Member

Hello all. New to the site, and so my first post! I have the term "computers for kids" entered in Google Alerts, as I have a personal interest. I am the president of a local (Windsor/Essex County, ON) charity that takes donated computer equipment and gets it into the hands of disadvantaged/at-risk youth. Ant equipment that won't be placed is recycled in an environmentally responsible manner. The funds from these activities help to support the overall program.

Since our inception in January of 2004, we have partnered to open over 40 after school & summer programs, place computers in the homes of 25000 special needs students, all while keeping over 2.5 million pounds of e-waste from area landfills.

As of August of this year, we are also an Ontario Electronic Stewardship program collector. As many of you may be aware, OES is the industry organization in Ontario responsible for E-waste recycling.

If you have any questions, please check out our web site.

Rob McLean - President,
CAW Local 200 Computers for Kids

Tags
charity , kids