Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS NEWS > Suggestions & Feedback

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 2, 2007, 08:51 PM
Rookie

So I like many of the suggestions you made Sswilson.

1) The DVD Drive sounds great and its cheaper.

2) I'd be more than happy to save the $50 and go with XP Home, as long as it doesn't mean a general performance loss.

3) The MOBO you chose looks like one of the best 'bang for your buck' boards out there, which is exactly what I'm after.

4) I'd actually even prefer going with the E6750 instead of the E6550. It's only another $23 or so for an extra .33GHz. Also I would prefer to stay away from overclocking since I have no experience with it, and I'm pretty sure the 2.66GHz processor would suite me well at stock speed.

5) One thing I'm unsure of is the Memory. I know I want PC6400, but I've never heard of Gskill. Is there much difference in performance between the different brands? I'm somewhat partial to Corsair since I know the name well enough and it could be had for $90 after a mail in rebate currently.

6) Also I'm sure I want an X1950 Pro for my video card. I've read plenty of reviews from different tech pages and really like the price vs. performance. The problem is choosing which brand to go with. I'm kind of stuck between the Asus, Powercolor, and Sapphire models. Asus and Powercolor seem to have a few extra features such as HDTV, a slight overclock, and better cooling ... but Sapphire is $30 cheaper. Really the HDTV and overclock aren't important to me. I don't plan on plugging my CPU up to my TV anytime in the near future and the overclock makes minimal difference. My main concern is in regards to heat and noise from the stock cooler on the Sapphire model. I have no plans to OC the card. Any information or suggestions to help me choose between them would be great.

7) Will I still want to invest in the Artic Cooling Freezer 7 if I don't plan on OC'ing my processor? Saving the $20 would be nice if its not necessary.

PS. At first I disliked Directcanada because I found the sight a little sloppy and unpleasant to browse (also with minimal reviews). But I must say that the 6% tax deal is fantastic and really impacts overall price. Also, any ideas how long the free shipping deal will last? When did that start?

Last edited by Kandorf; September 2, 2007 at 09:27 PM.
Old September 3, 2007, 05:09 AM
F@H

My System Specs

That "limited time special" for shipping has been up for as long as I can remember...... :) (That said... there are no guarantees.... :) ).

As far as what brand of 1950pro goes... have a look here with regards to the sapphire models http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/ati/1...-any-more.html . If they can verify that they are shipping the new part# then all is good, if they either can't verify, or if they still have old stock, I'd look elsewhere as I myself had major overheating issues with the first batch of cards Sapphire put out.

A friend at work put a system together with the Asus model, and he hasn't had any problems at all with it.

You're better served to hold off on chosing memory until you are ready to order. Mem prices change so quickly that it's really more of a "what's on sale for a decent price this week" kind of thing.

If you have absolutely no intention of overclocking, the stock intel cooler will suffice, but that AC 7 Pro cooler is such a sweet deal for what it does.... :)

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old September 3, 2007, 02:44 PM
Rookie

Thanks once again for the information Sswilson.

I think I may opt to just pay out the $22 and get the Artic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro. Definately wouldn't do any damage, and then I would have the option of safely overclocking my CPU some should I feel like doing it.

Appreciate the info on the Sapphire model of the X1950 Pro. I noticed that Directcanada has the Mft. Part# listed as 11095-01-20R ... which isn't the same as either of the P/N#'s you listed in the other thread. Is calling them the only way to find out if they are sending me the new version?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
You're better served to hold off on chosing memory until you are ready to order. Mem prices change so quickly that it's really more of a "what's on sale for a decent price this week" kind of thing.
Is that to say that there is no noticable difference between the brands then? That's basically what I'm wondering. Is there a particular brand or two that consistantly outperform others? Or any brand that I want to stay away from? Again, no plans to overclock.

Thanks once again.

Edit: I was throwing stuff in my shopping cart at Direct Canada for fun and I noticed that they now want to charge me $85 for shipping. Yet the banner is still up saying free shipping on orders over $300 and under 100lbs. I added up the weight of the order and it is 83lbs. /shrug

Last edited by Kandorf; September 3, 2007 at 04:09 PM.
Old September 3, 2007, 02:49 PM
Hall Of Fame

Memory is memory but its when you start pushing that memory you'll notice a difference. Myself I am a fan of Corsair over OCZ and for pushing the limits Crucial or Team Xtreem.

XP is still faster in regards to benchmarks than Vista and DX10 is overhyped and unproven yet so like myself I still run XP.
Old September 6, 2007, 05:32 PM
Rookie

So here's what I'm thinking right now for the new system. This time I am also bringing the monitor, keyboard, speakers, and antivirus software into the discussion as well.

Case w/ PSU: $126.07
Antec Sonata III ATX w/ EarthWatts 500W 80%+ 4x SATA 2x PCI-E

Motherboard: $95.27
Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L ATX LGA775 P35 1333FSB 1PCI-E16 3PCI-E1 Sata2 Sound GBLAN

Processor: $217.26
Intel Pentium Core 2 Duo E6750 LGA775 2.66GHz FSB-1333MHz 4MB L2 Cache

Memory: $106.00
Patriot Signature Line 2x1GB PC2-6400 DDR2-800MHz 240PIN CL5

Graphics / Video Card: $174.58
Asus Radeon X1950 Pro 256MB GDDR3 581MHz 1.4GHz 256-bit PCI-E Dual-DVI HDCP HDTV Out DX9

Hard Drive: $89.59
Seagate Barracuda 320GB 7200RPM 8.5ms 16MB SATA2

DVD Writer: $38.25
Samsung SH-S183L 18x Black SATA w/ Lightscribe OEM

Fans: $5.51 x 2
Cooler Master Neon Blue LED 120MM 3PIN 22DBA 1220RPM 43CFM

CPU Heatsink: $21.47
Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro LGA775 2500RPM 45CFM

Operating System: $104
Windows XP Home Edition

--------

Monitor: $237.93
Samsung Syncmaster 931BW 19IN Widescreen LCD 2000:1 1440x900 2ms HDCP VGA DVI-D

Keyboard: $23.74
Microsoft Natural Ergonomic 4000 USB OEM

Speakers: $43.44
Logitech X-230 2.1 Black 32RMS 64W FDD2

Antivirus: $32.40
NOD32 Antivirus Ver 2.5 1 Year Subscription OEM

------------

Approx. Total: $1315 (just added quickly in my head)

Assuming free ground shipping and 6% tax (around $80) from DirectCanada it would total right around $1400, which was my target budget to begin with. I'm just curious if anyone has any suggestions on things I may want to look into changing or does everything look pretty solid? Keep in mind that I'd like to maintain the $1400 budget. Also, if I buy the boxed version of NOD32 VER2.5, can it be upgraded for free to the 2.7 version via download? Or should I just buy the downloadable VER2.7 from Eset's homepage (which is 5 or 10 bucks more expensive)?

Last edited by Kandorf; September 6, 2007 at 05:44 PM.
Old September 6, 2007, 07:28 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Couple of points.....

Do you need a "pay" anti-virus? There are quite a few really good freeware ones out there that do everything you normally would need. (I've been using AVG for years and never had a problem).

If it were me, I'd pony up the extra cash to get the samsung 19" square rather than the widescreen... I wouldn't go widescreen unless it was 20 or 21" as you are getting less desktop space than a standard 19". (Not buying a "pay" anti-vir will cover most of the difference for that... :) ).

I'm not sure on the patriot memory.... I'm thinking that their "signature" models are their value ram. Hopefully somebody who knows the patriot brand will know for sure.... if it is, then there is probably a good set of OCZ available for around the same price.

As far as the $80 for shipping goes... you should contact them about that to ensure that there isn't a restriction on large items like cases.... if there is then you'd probably be better off picking the case up locally.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old September 6, 2007, 08:21 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

Definitely go for the Gigabyte mobo. I have the same model, running an E2140 @ 3.0 (water-cooled). Great overclocker. Stable, and the passive heatsinks are very capable.

You will overclock. One day, you will. And you'll be thankful that you bought that AC7 cooler. Choose the right model, for the LGA 775 socket.

Don't go for the Patriot Signature line - it's their value line. For the same reason as above, I would go for the Gskill ram that Sswilson came up with, the Corsair XMS or even some Mushkin (that ram is running along with my E2140).

Pay-to-use anti-virus? Many free good ones out there, read this: http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/antiv...l-you-use.html. Like I wrote, I use a router with the Vista inbedded firewall - no problems here.

As for the monitor, I believe that this is a personal choice. I did buy a widescreen 19" (HP) from a 15" 4:3 and I love it. But instead of making your choice online, first go out to BestBuy, Future Shop or any similar store and compare the models that are for sale (make sure that all monitors are displaying the same picture, to easily compare them). I first taught that the Samsung model would be the best out there - but I was in for a surprise when I saw that HP model. Check out all the models. And choose the one that pleases your eyes the most.

You did mention that you wanted that 512Mb X1950 video card. Any reason why you changed your choice (above) to the 256Mb model? As for model selection, I can't help you much - the last video cards I bought were an ATI X300, an ATI X1650 (AGP!) and my old-but-trusty ATI X800XTPE (AGP too!).

You will definitely have a great rig for the budget you gave yourself and will see a major difference in speed with your old rig.

Have fun building it, that's the part I enjoy the most!

Fire away any questions you have, many of use have build many rigs from scratch (me included).

John

ps. Right. I did write that I don't know much about video cards, but I sure can count $$$ and analyse speed / memory. I found those 2 cards at DirectCanada.

Evga 8600GTS: 175.28$
Evga E-GEFORCE 8600GTS 675MHZ 256MB 2.0GHZ GDDR3 PCI-E Dual DVI-I Hdtv Out DIRECTX10 Video Card - DirectCanada

Sapphire X1950Pro 256Mb: 146.53$
Sapphire Radeon X1950 Pro 575MHZ PCI-E 256MB 1.38GHZ GDDR3 Dual DVI-I TV-OUT Lite Retail Video Card - DirectCanada

Better choices?

Last edited by 3.0charlie; September 6, 2007 at 08:35 PM. Reason: Video cards info added.
Old September 7, 2007, 05:10 PM
Rookie

Thanks again for the responses.

As for the anti-virus goes ... I was just thinking Kaspersky or Nod32. It seemed like many people had good things to say about them and that they are highly rated in online reviews as well. I'm also looking for an anti-virus that will run silently in the back ground, without pop-ups, and that is not a system resource hog. From what I hear, Nod32 is all of those things. AVG I read was a bit of a resource hog. If thats true, any other good free antivirus that will keep me safe? I do use a router, so firewall isn't an issue.

Yeah I heard that about the 19" widescreens, but that monitor had many good reviews so I was still leaning towards it. Good idea about going to the store and actually looking at the monitors before making a decision. I'm not sure if I mentioned this before but currently I'm in Mexico. Been here for about 3 months now, and am going back to Canada in less than 2 weeks now (so I could look around once I'm back home).

Yeah I knew that was their value line, but again I read many good things about it and it was fairly cheap. I'm sure at the time of purchase there will be some good RAM on sale for $100 or so, so I expected that decision to change, and I may inquire some more at that time.

I switched to the 256MB version because the 512MB version I initially picked out was from a different retailer, after paying shipping on it and the 15% tax it would have ended up being quite a bit more expensive than buying the 256MB one from DirectCanada, and brought me over budget. As for model, yes the Sapphire one was an option we discussed earlier ... but I'd be concerned about being sent the old model that overheats. I'd rather pay the $25 extra and know that I'm getting solid cooling on it (Powercolor or Asus). I origionally was looking at the 8600GTS, but after reading a bunch of reviews and such I decided that the X1950 Pro was the better choice.

In regards to the whole shipping deal, I discovered that when I added items to my shopping cart from my wishlist that it wouldn't allow for the free shipping. But, when adding to the shopping cart by just browsing the site / directories, it does allow fo rthe free shipping. No idea why this is.
Old September 7, 2007, 09:26 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
In regards to the whole shipping deal, I discovered that when I added items to my shopping cart from my wishlist that it wouldn't allow for the free shipping. But, when adding to the shopping cart by just browsing the site / directories, it does allow fo rthe free shipping. No idea why this is.
It must pre-calculate the shipping while it's in the wishlist without taking the whole order into account..... glad to hear you got it worked out.

Should be an awesome build!!!

Old September 8, 2007, 05:55 AM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
Couple of points.....

Do you need a "pay" anti-virus? There are quite a few really good freeware ones out there that do everything you normally would need. (I've been using AVG for years and never had a problem).

If it were me, I'd pony up the extra cash to get the samsung 19" square rather than the widescreen... I wouldn't go widescreen unless it was 20 or 21" as you are getting less desktop space than a standard 19". (Not buying a "pay" anti-vir will cover most of the difference for that... :) ).

I'm not sure on the patriot memory.... I'm thinking that their "signature" models are their value ram. Hopefully somebody who knows the patriot brand will know for sure.... if it is, then there is probably a good set of OCZ available for around the same price.

As far as the $80 for shipping goes... you should contact them about that to ensure that there isn't a restriction on large items like cases.... if there is then you'd probably be better off picking the case up locally.
DC have no restriction for large item has far as its under 100lbs

i have placed order over 300$ (2 tt armor full tower) and the shipping weight of both item combine was under 100lbs and i got free shipping,

i had order several builds for friedns and family and i have always had the free shipping for my order over 300$ case include or not.

DFI LP nF4 Ultra-D / AMD Opteron 165 @ 2.7Ghz/ 2*1GB OCZ Gold GX XTC / Sapphire X1950XT / Fortron 450W PSU / 2*Maxtor 80Gb