Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS NEWS > Suggestions & Feedback

View Poll Results: Eliminate LGA775 Testing but add other benchmarks?
Yes 33 56.90%
No 25 43.10%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 16, 2009, 08:48 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
Ummmm....no. I just mean that we will be doing more AM3 mobo reviews.
^^ What he said! Looking forward to both, as I'm in the mood to build an HTPC.
Old July 16, 2009, 08:49 AM
Quadfather

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
Ummmm....no. I just mean that we will be doing more AM3 mobo reviews.
... Damn. I was hoping for a new chipset at least. 800-series is long overdue. Oh well, still looking forward to more cpu cooler reviews though.
Old July 16, 2009, 08:53 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

The only thing being released soon on the motherboard side from AMD is the 785 chipset with the Radeon 4200 integrated chip. Other than that nothing has awaken from its sleep yet. Just a little muscle twitch in AMD's dream, but is much needed movement to get ahead of Intel's chipset...
Old July 16, 2009, 08:58 AM
Quadfather

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by bojangles View Post
The only thing being released soon on the motherboard side from AMD is the 785 chipset with the Radeon 4200 integrated chip. Other than that nothing has awaken from its sleep yet. Just a little muscle twitch in AMD's dream, but is much needed movement to get ahead of Intel's chipset...
Couldn't agree more. I hope they have something good to make up for making us wait for so long....
Old July 16, 2009, 09:00 AM
F@H

My System Specs

I kind of like having various CPU's tested so I can have a rough idea of how it will perform if I was to buy it. Though understandably, it's a lot more testing and PC's required on your end.

Perhaps you guys should go FrostyTech's way and just have an adjustable thermal output device of sorts, excluding motherboards/CPUs all together.
Old July 16, 2009, 11:15 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrom17 View Post
Perhaps you guys should go FrostyTech's way and just have an adjustable thermal output device of sorts, excluding motherboards/CPUs all together.
The heatsink's ability to dissipate the heat is only half the battle - it needs to get the heat from the CPU in the first place, and this is arguably the harder part. Artificial heaters largely ignore this aspect,which makes that kind of testing worse, imo.

Personally, I'm divided on eliminating LGA775 testing. It's not like the socket isn't fully viable even now, but it's definitely hitting a plateau as far as cooling goes. On the other hand, I'd be very interested in more in-depth testing, and would probably be willing to give up 775 testing to get it.

I suppose the bigger question would be - what kind of additional testing? Acoustical testing would be nice - IF it's done well. Poorly done acoustical testing is simply useless. A higher heat level would also be interesting, say something above 4GHz, where lesser heatsinks can really choke.
Old July 16, 2009, 11:43 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I'll be honest I wouldn't miss the LGA775 benchmarks, because its reasonable enough to assume by now that any heatsink that shows promising results on a Core i7 platform will likely be equal or as good on a socket775.

EE
Old July 16, 2009, 01:15 PM
Hall Of Fame

Well SKY I don't think you should eliminate the inclusion of LGA775 testing, not at least until it's phased out.

Lots of people still use LGA775, and like to see. Since you already test the i7 also, there's no problem right.

Like with the Hyper 212+ review, latest one, you did do couple tests on i7 as well as LGA775. But then again, it's your choice, and if you do take the tests out, it's probably by majority demand or some decision you took, I'll be cool!.
Samsung 931BW 19" LCD, Logitech MX Revolution
Old July 16, 2009, 01:19 PM
Quadfather

My System Specs

Speaking as objectively as possible:
-i7 Mounting is very similar to 775, not enough difference to warrant testing both platforms.
-i7s produce just as much heat if not more than 775s, can can be overclocked higher (or so it seems with many users on this very forum breaking the 4Ghz mark on theirs)
-Both i7 and 775 have quad cores currently, but the increased thermal output when i7 moves to 6-cores will make it the obvious choice for serious stress testing for CPU coolers.
Old July 16, 2009, 02:03 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Eliminate 775. We have a brand new heater: Nehalem.
If you really want to be useful for average Joe then try to be as close as possible to his real life conditions.

What I want to see is something like this:
- stock frequencies/voltage 1000/1500/2000 RPM fan (or something close to those values). This is for 90% of home users.
- decent OC (I let you decide what is decent in overclock) same RPM's as above. This is for 9% of home users.
- maximum OC (frequency and voltage) same RPM's as above. This is for 0.9% enthusiasts on air. The remaining 0.1% are LN2/dry ice/whatever exotic cooling hardcore overclockers.
- HT on, prime95 for 15-30 minutes (half an hour is enough to stabilize temps) and a printscreen with RealTemp and CPU-Z at the end of tests to see maximum values (you can keep average values too, via RivaTuner and RealTemp plugin or another methods).
Something like this

LinX/IBT or any Linpack based stress program is an unrealistic test so IMO prime95 is perfect for simulating gaming/rendering/encoding/whatever.

What I don't want to see
- low ambient temperatures
- open stand
- a cool Nehalem

I know that is time consuming but it will be as close as possible to everyone who has a computer and wants to change his stock cooling.