Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Suggestions & Feedback (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/suggestions-feedback/)
-   -   BST Post Requirement (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/suggestions-feedback/18922-bst-post-requirement.html)

JD June 14, 2009 08:45 PM

BST Post Requirement

I was just thinking...

For the Buy/Sell/Trade area, could the wonderful people at HWC consider adding a post requirement? Like 25 posts or something that's fairly easily obtainable but hard enough that it filters out random people.

I know like every other forum that has a BST area has a requirement on the number of posts before you gain access. And it seems like ours is getting fairly popular.

Arinoth June 14, 2009 08:47 PM

Seems like it would be a good idea to help weed people out, though potentially we could also have positive/negative rating on users as well, since someone could still be full of it for 25 posts then scam people.

Kilauea June 14, 2009 09:05 PM

I think that already it is a lot easier to trust members that have been part of the forum for a while and who have contributed in some way by having many posts... I mean, when I see someone posting in BST and I recognize the name or when I see he has lots of posts, I am much more likely to trust him/her.

Already the feedback thing helps somewhat... but I agree to have a little requirement would be good.

Arinoth June 14, 2009 09:09 PM

Well the feedback only helps if the sale was complete, iTrader can't be filled out if there hasn't been a complete transaction. But yes, as i said earlier, would be a good idea to have a post requirement, though i think some kind of positive/negative user feedback system would also be helpful if people didn't abuse that.

JD June 15, 2009 08:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arinoth (Post 209146)
Well the feedback only helps if the sale was complete, iTrader can't be filled out if there hasn't been a complete transaction. But yes, as i said earlier, would be a good idea to have a post requirement, though i think some kind of positive/negative user feedback system would also be helpful if people didn't abuse that.

Sounds like a good idea too, though I think typically if someone is looking to make a quick buck, they wouldn't bother posting 20 factual posts. I'd assume if they spammed the board the mods would catch that quickly.

I guess another thing could be that you need to be a member for a month or something.

I just find there's far to many people with only 1 post that are trying to buy/sell things on here. The kind of people that should stick to their Kijiji and Craig's List. And I hate seeing fellow members get ripped off or waste their time over these people. Though luckily nothing bad has happened to me personally but I don't exactly sell a ton of things.

Arinoth June 15, 2009 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdrom17 (Post 209282)
I guess another thing could be that you need to be a member for a month or something.

That would would be a little hard for some people, such as myself whom stumbled across this site probably half a month to near a month ago and love it really (ergo i have a lot of posts) and i wouldnt have been able to sell 2 things so far if that was the case but i think this thread is on the right track.

gingerbee June 15, 2009 12:28 PM

i just think they should up the post to at least 50 or up

Supergrover June 15, 2009 12:32 PM

+1 for a Min post count, while it probably would add to the work load, I would rather do a little extra work than have a member ripped off.

Thund3rball June 15, 2009 12:35 PM

Agreed. I think the minimum on OCForums is 100 posts. Not that we are as big as OCF, but a respectable minimum of 25 or 50 posts is not unreasonable imo.

Squeetard June 15, 2009 12:42 PM

Great idea, gets my vote and I'd say 100 post minimum. My opinion is that the BST forum is a place where members help each other by getting rid of stuff and offering good deals to those who buy it. It's not a dumping ground for every flunkie on the internet to flog their crap.