Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS NEWS > Suggestions & Feedback

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 15, 2009, 04:09 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5ILVgeARX View Post
Instead of post counts why not use HWC's Contribution Level, like you need level 10 or so to sell in BST

As most of you guys can see, theres a MASSIVE AMOUNTS of spams in the BST section, craps like ohh you need a picture with your name on it and such craps, even tho the seller clearly stated that picture will be up within the hour. I think only MODS have the rights to tell that to sellers instead of seeing "oh you need a picture with your name on it x3 on a single thread."

We serious need more stricter rules at HWC, specially the BST section, its becoming a mess :rtfm:

Yes. This.

There's no way you can avoid getting scammed though. As most of us can remember, a long time member with 500+ post count scammed a quite a bit of people, not just on this forum too.

I think the best way to keep from being scammed is just use your instincts. For example, for me, if someone has horrible spelling, bad grammar, etc etc, some flags automatically go up for me. Now, this doesn't always apply, but then I usually avoid those people.
Old June 15, 2009, 06:13 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infiniti View Post
For example, for me, if someone has horrible spelling, bad grammar, etc etc, some flags automatically go up for me. Now, this doesn't always apply, but then I usually avoid those people.
Maybe we need to allow iTrader to include scammed sales just not completed ones (that'll depend on if people abuse that, though that's something easy for a mod to see and take care of if a person is abusing the feedback system) OR implement what others have been saying with a minimum amount of posts. I personally think some kind of community based poster feedback system or allowing iTrader to include scammed sales would work better.
Old June 15, 2009, 07:30 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I know nothing is fail-safe, but I think certain restrictions to who gets access would definitely help.

The level idea is smart, though that's even harder to obtain IMO. You really have to be active then and I'm not sure having it so strict would be a good idea either.

Also some people on here offer incredibly good deals and personally I dislike when some new user with the single post saying he'll buy it, gets that deal. There's also a lot of courteous users who give things for free and that's definitely not something that should be abused.
Old June 16, 2009, 02:33 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I agree with your idea, jd. Just enough posts to weed out people that just come here to pawn stuff and spam. Level 10 is way too extreme. I've been a member here for a few years at least and I just recently got to level 12. I'm more of a reader than a poster. With 25 posts, you can sort of get a "feel" for the person. Participation in the b/s/t forum should be a privelege and not just granted upon sign-up with HWC.

EBAY(http://myworld.ebay.ca/scott0639)
Old June 16, 2009, 05:48 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

i think that if they do not contribute then they are not allowed to sell and i think if there rules were followed like no more 24 wait for pics
Old June 16, 2009, 09:54 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Good point about people putting up sales before they have pictures included but from what I've observed this happens more with the older more recognised posters here. I never really understood why it was so hard to do everything at once. The 24hr grace period seems needless, I don't treat my FS posts as an after thought and people selling $300+ items should put more care and attention into their posts considering the value of the items they're putting up for sale. The mods should be the only ones interjecting in a thread warning the posters to follow the rules... period.

I'd like to see the B/S/T section divided into sub catagories as I think it would streamline browsing. Another section I'd like to see is non computer related items with it's own section or do away with anything thats not computer related entirely. Lets face it this isn't Craigs list, this is a computer enthusiast site and any B/S/T thread should keep that in mind.
Old June 16, 2009, 11:11 AM
Administrator
F@H

My System Specs

We've enacted a 25 post minimum before you can create a new thread.

We will see how this goes and increase the min. thread count if need be.
Old June 16, 2009, 11:23 AM
Allstar
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gav View Post
We've enacted a 25 post minimum before you can do any of the following:

View thread contents
Create a new thread
Post a reply to a thread

Basically, if you have less than 25 posts all you can do is view the thread title in the B/S/T area. We will see how this goes and increase the min. thread count if need be.
ahahaha some people wont be able to see their own BST Threads now
Old June 16, 2009, 11:26 AM
Administrator
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon_di2 View Post
ahahaha some people wont be able to see their own BST Threads now
They better get posting then.
Old June 16, 2009, 11:28 AM
Administrator
F@H

My System Specs

We will also be actively watching to make sure people aren't "spam" posting just so they can use the B/S/T area.