Logitech keyboard and mouse
MS Vista Ultimate 64bit.
Old April 18, 2009, 11:47 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1lk1 View Post
The problem with banning people is that they tend to just sign up with a new email address and a new name and then spam the forums. Even an IP ban is of little consequence since you can change that as well. Ignoring them and just avoiding them and their threads is hte best way to deal with it.
Usually you can ban them by their external IP. That definitely constricts them from coming back because it costs money to change that (I think).
Old April 18, 2009, 11:48 AM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1lk1 View Post
The problem with banning people is that they tend to just sign up with a new email address and a new name and then spam the forums. Even an IP ban is of little consequence since you can change that as well. Ignoring them and just avoiding them and their threads is hte best way to deal with it.
+1 for this. I regret trying to help the last guy who had an issue, as it should have been clear he did not want help. All I ended up doing was prolonging the thread. What a waste of time, just to have your help thrown back in your face. I just find it hard to let a problem go when I have invested some effort into it.

I actually feel sorry for people who have such poor people skills that they feel the need to bash others on online forums. Makes one wonder if they have any friends in the real world. Some of these people don't realize that they are alienating the only real social support group they have, due to the lack of said people skills. It certainly does not bode well for their success prospects, both in their personal and professional lives.
Fold for team #54196
Old April 18, 2009, 11:51 AM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by bojangles View Post
Usually you can ban them by their external IP. That definitely constricts them from coming back because it costs money to change that (I think).
IPs get reassigned from time to time by your ISP, unless you pay for a static IP. The only way to ban them in that case would to ban the entire range of IPs assigned to the ISP (ie Rogers, Bell, etc)

Then, all they have to do is use a proxy site, or proxy program, and they are back.

People who flame do so for a reason; they enjoy the attention. Take that away from them (can be hard at times) and they will often just go elsewhere for that sad, sad, attention.
Fold for team #54196
Old April 18, 2009, 11:52 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskwarren View Post
+1 for this. I regret trying to help the last guy who had an issue, as it should have been clear he did not want help. All I ended up doing was prolonging the thread. What a waste of time, just to have your help thrown back in your face. I just find it hard to let a problem go when I have invested some effort into it.

I actually feel sorry for people who have such poor people skills that they feel the need to bash others on online forums. Makes one wonder if they have any friends in the real world. Some of these people don't realize that they are alienating the only real social support group they have, due to the lack of said people skills. It certainly does not bode well for their success prospects, both in their personal and professional lives.
Hah. Your brings back some PM memories Chris

I think I know who you're talking about...

My Disclaimer to any advice or comment I make;
Quote:
Originally Posted by CroSsFiRe2009 View Post
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about
Old April 18, 2009, 11:54 AM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagath View Post
Hah. Your brings back some PM memories Chris

I think I know who you're talking about...

Lol yeah Sagath I should have just listened to ya
Fold for team #54196
Old April 18, 2009, 01:13 PM
F@H

My System Specs

IP banning does absolutely nothing for folks without a static IP. I won't get into the procedure, but any person who's on a router through a cable modem can change their IP at will.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old April 18, 2009, 01:16 PM
F@H

My System Specs

In this specific case, it's not like the OP was taking his `tude into multiple threads. He kept it in the original thread, and as such, the threat to other posters was gone the second we closed that thread. If he had in turn retaliated for the thread being closed, then we may have had to take further action.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old April 18, 2009, 02:00 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

In the west here, telus gives us 2 ip addresses

So yea i think the dude got his message and left, hopefully
Old April 18, 2009, 02:13 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Yeah I can change my IP like 60 times an hour...