Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS NEWS > Suggestions & Feedback

    
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #31 (permalink)  
Old April 14, 2009, 11:10 AM
thenewguy001's Avatar
Allstar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 844
Default

Adblock Plus isn't enough. I also use flashblock. It lets you turn flash apps on at your discretion so you can see useful flash apps (like games) while blocking flash ads on the same page.
__________________
i5 2500K @ 4.0 GHz
2 x 4GB G.Skill Ripjaws X
Patriot Pyro 240GB
Gigabyte HD 6970 OC
Gigabyte Z68X-UDH3-B3
Seasonic 760W
Coolermaster Hyper 212+
CM690 w/ 1-80mm, 6-120mm fans.
Reply With Quote
  #32 (permalink)  
Old April 14, 2009, 11:52 AM
enaberif's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Calgahree, AB
Posts: 10,637
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewguy001 View Post
Adblock Plus isn't enough. I also use flashblock. It lets you turn flash apps on at your discretion so you can see useful flash apps (like games) while blocking flash ads on the same page.
Ad Block works perfectly fine.

Just right click on it and tell it to hide the frame.
Reply With Quote
  #33 (permalink)  
Old April 14, 2009, 03:38 PM
chrisk's Avatar
Folding Captain
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: GTA, Ontario
Posts: 7,406

My System Specs

Default

If I use a site (like HWC) I don't block ads on it. Its the major revenue generator for the site. I rarely click the ads but I have done it. The only exception to this would be an instance like this one where the ad is doing something ridiculous to my computer. But otherwise, it seems to be a bit of a slap in the face to the people who own a site to do this and promote it right on their forum, using their resources to do so.
__________________
Fold for team #54196
Reply With Quote
  #34 (permalink)  
Old April 14, 2009, 08:23 PM
Dashock's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,938
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskwarren View Post
If I use a site (like HWC) I don't block ads on it. Its the major revenue generator for the site. I rarely click the ads but I have done it. The only exception to this would be an instance like this one where the ad is doing something ridiculous to my computer. But otherwise, it seems to be a bit of a slap in the face to the people who own a site to do this and promote it right on their forum, using their resources to do so.
Agreed the only reason i blocked it as it was taking up 77 percent of my cpu and ive already underclocked it to take as little of the cpu as it can since im folding to limit my energy usage. Otherwise i dont mind ads on a site it helps keep the site free.
__________________
Intel Xeon E3110 @ 3.0ghz
XFX 8800 GT Alpha Dog Edition
Asus P5Q-E
Mushkin Ascent Redline 8000 4gb DDR2 @ 1066 5-5-5-15 2.05v
OCZ 600W GameXstream
Seagate 7200.11 500gb
Seagate 7200.10 320gb
Antec Spot Cool
Logitech X-230
Samsung 32" 720P HDTV



Coolermaster Cosmos S/
Swiftech Mcp655/ MCR-320-QP/ 6X Noctua NF-P12'S/ Swiftech Apogee GT/ Swiftech Mcw-60/ Swiftech Micro-Res.

Reply With Quote
  #35 (permalink)  
Old April 14, 2009, 09:22 PM
thenewguy001's Avatar
Allstar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 844
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
Ad Block works perfectly fine.

Just right click on it and tell it to hide the frame.
But you have to let it load before you block it with adblock. With flashblock, you don't even download it from the server unless you activate it manually.
__________________
i5 2500K @ 4.0 GHz
2 x 4GB G.Skill Ripjaws X
Patriot Pyro 240GB
Gigabyte HD 6970 OC
Gigabyte Z68X-UDH3-B3
Seasonic 760W
Coolermaster Hyper 212+
CM690 w/ 1-80mm, 6-120mm fans.
Reply With Quote
  #36 (permalink)  
Old April 15, 2009, 08:17 AM
b1lk1's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Lindsay, Ontario
Posts: 2,515

My System Specs

Default

I would like to see an option that we can enable, as long standing members, to completely block ALL advertisements since I do not come here with the need or desire to see ads.
__________________
MY HEATWARE
Reply With Quote
  #37 (permalink)  
Old April 15, 2009, 10:33 AM
Jake_HT's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Calgary, AB
Posts: 1,986

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1lk1 View Post
I would like to see an option that we can enable, as long standing members, to completely block ALL advertisements since I do not come here with the need or desire to see ads.
I do not see ads on this site.

For sites like collegehumor.com (if anyone else goes there) adblockplus is a must... that place gets crazy
__________________
http://jakeht.deviantart.com/
Reply With Quote
  #38 (permalink)  
Old April 15, 2009, 10:45 AM
FiXT's Avatar
Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: GVRD
Posts: 3,343

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1lk1 View Post
I would like to see an option that we can enable, as long standing members, to completely block ALL advertisements since I do not come here with the need or desire to see ads.
And I would like web servers that don't require electricity or maintenance.
Your bombarded by 2 ads at most, and at least they are generally relevant and provide good info, unlike some ridiculous google ads on most sites
If you can't handle it... maybe the internet isn't for you
Reply With Quote
  #39 (permalink)  
Old April 15, 2009, 12:40 PM
gingerbee's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Orillia, Ontario
Posts: 6,828

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiXT View Post
And I would like web servers that don't require electricity or maintenance.
Your bombarded by 2 ads at most, and at least they are generally relevant and provide good info, unlike some ridiculous google ads on most sites
If you can't handle it... maybe the internet isn't for you
i myself have never had a problem with hwc ads it's how they make money to pay the bill so. and yes at least the ads are for computer crap well said
__________________
Fav quote "One should strive to achieve; not sit in bitter regret." Ronin Harris
Reply With Quote
  #40 (permalink)  
Old April 15, 2009, 12:57 PM
LCB001's Avatar
Folding Captain
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Aylmer QC.
Posts: 1,774

My System Specs

Default

I find HWC does a great job of keepng the Ad's from being intrusive and annoying, unlike some sites where you can't move your cursor without something popping up.

If we have to endure a few ad's to keep our site to it's present high standards I think it's well worth it.

I am very glad that the ad mentioned is being redone tho, it would slow down my SMP Folding and that is unforgiveable...:rtfm:
__________________
Folding For Team 54196

Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
I'd like to thank HWC for being so ad-free squilliam Off Topic 12 January 4, 2009 04:26 PM
HWC T-Shirts: Take 2 Gav Site Announcements 51 December 6, 2008 01:58 PM
HWC T-Shirts Gav Site Announcements 57 November 10, 2008 04:48 PM
Looking for the HWC logo? CMetaphor Off Topic 7 February 27, 2008 07:25 AM
CPU use @ 57% and inactive processe use 93% of the CPu WTH ebdoradz Off Topic 6 February 26, 2008 06:34 PM