Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS NEWS > Suggestions & Feedback

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 19, 2009, 06:38 PM
Allstar

^That problem has existed since I started trolling around here. They clear eventually but there always seems to be a few minutes or hours delay before new threads become marked as "read"
Gigabyte HD 6970 OC
Gigabyte Z68X-UDH3-B3
Seasonic 760W
Coolermaster Hyper 212+
CM690 w/ 1-80mm, 6-120mm fans.
Old January 20, 2009, 12:31 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Just posted on NCIX site appeared to go down, unsure what and if this means anything I did take screenie of the error. I also was getting the usual Database Error page.

EE
Attached Images

Old January 20, 2009, 02:40 AM
Hall Of Fame

wow epic fail on HWC lately.
Old January 20, 2009, 05:54 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

We are working on it with the ISP. Since we changed servers things have been going well but there are still a few kinks to iron out.
Old January 20, 2009, 12:39 PM
Allstar

were back online.... but for how long.... hehehe

I also noticed on arrival that the font colour changing doesnt work when posting on a thread, and also if you edit your thread and change the title, the title doesnt actually change.

| ASUS P8Z68-VPRO | Intel i5 2500K | 8Gb Patriot Viper Xtreme | 2x 60gb OCZ Solid 3 SSD | EVGA GTX260 Core216 |

Last edited by element291; January 20, 2009 at 12:54 PM.
Old January 20, 2009, 01:19 PM
HWC Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_G View Post
If you use document.write to add an external file (such as a remote script) while a page is loading, the page cannot continue rendering until that remote file is loaded or until the request times out. So, when you use document.write to add JavaScript for a remotely-hosted ad system, if that system's server is down, every single page that the ad appears on will have greatly delayed rendering of about 30 seconds.

Using DOM is a far more effective way of doing this.
Unfortunately we don't have full control over this.

We can use iframes for ads, but it won't work on Google Adsense, as they need to check the page contents to provide relevant ads.

We can load all the ads at the bottom of the html output, after everything else is rendered by the browser and display it using DOM, but unfortunately this will be hard to do with the current CMS system we're using.

Last alternative is to load the ads using AJAX, which seems a bit overkill but perhaps something we can't avoid.

I'm open to other suggestions.
Old January 20, 2009, 01:20 PM
Hall Of Fame

I had to block more of the google ads on this site due to slow down.s
Old January 20, 2009, 01:42 PM
Allstar

I used to have ad blocking disabled here, had to enable it again because gto-media's servers appear to be dead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk View Post
Unfortunately we don't have full control over this.

We can use iframes for ads, but it won't work on Google Adsense, as they need to check the page contents to provide relevant ads.

We can load all the ads at the bottom of the html output, after everything else is rendered by the browser and display it using DOM, but unfortunately this will be hard to do with the current CMS system we're using.

Last alternative is to load the ads using AJAX, which seems a bit overkill but perhaps something we can't avoid.

I'm open to other suggestions.
Okay, so I see GTO-Media.com is pretty much HWC's parent and ad server. Since you have full control over it, it should be easy to write a script. From what I see, you are just doing:
  1. In page, document.write->inject <script>
  2. In remote script, document.write->inject <object> (for flash)

Instead, you could create a filler DIV where your ads would normally go, such as <div id="top-ad"></div>. Then, you can either use document.getElementById('top-ad').innerHTML to just set its content like you would have done with document.write, or use DOM (slower and more complex, but proper) to create elements inside it. To know what you need to set #top-ad's contents to, the easiest method is just to call a remote <script> from the bottom of your page. If the server is down, the rest of the page before it still renders.

That remote script can pretty much be the same thing you're using now, except that "document.write" should be replaced by "document.getElementById('top-ad').innerHTML =".

With AdSense, it's not as much of an issue. While their servers have gone down in the past, it doesn't last very long nor does it happen often.

I could suggest prettier methods, but they're more complex.
1x 8800 Ultra --> Sony GDM-FW900 + LVM-37w3se // HT Omega Striker ~ (optical) Pioneer SE-DIR800C ~+ SE-DHP800 / HD 280 Pro
Old January 20, 2009, 02:10 PM
HWC Staff

We actually already use that method for some ads on the forum. It's easy to do on vbulletin side, but on the main site, the CMS modules use a much more complex system. We have different ad modules for different pages, but the CMS use only 2 template files. We don't want to load all ads in every page even if we don't show them. It will screw up with the ad impression counts.

To get the same method working on the CMS side is still doable, but will be a lot of work. So, I'm considering other alternatives right now.

Thanks for the suggestions though, much appreciated :).
Old January 20, 2009, 02:34 PM
Allstar

Well, then the ideal method would be to have the pages prepared with blank elements with the appropriate IDs for inserting ads into them (ie. #ad-top, #ad-right-top, #ad-right-bottom). Heck, make them display: none; unless JS explicitly sets them to be visible. So, while the ad "areas" exist on every page, it's up to the various JS to actually figure out which ones to fill and make visible on any given page.

It's a little weird when you think about it, since your ad areas would be part of the actual template and not the ad system. But this way, you can do all the ad handling with a remote JS from the bottom of every page, so it's simpler to deal with. Shouldn't affect impression counts.
1x 8800 Ultra --> Sony GDM-FW900 + LVM-37w3se // HT Omega Striker ~ (optical) Pioneer SE-DIR800C ~+ SE-DHP800 / HD 280 Pro