Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Suggestions & Feedback (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/suggestions-feedback/)
-   -   Rules of the Buy/Sell section. (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/suggestions-feedback/12805-rules-buy-sell-section.html)

Skyllz December 12, 2008 10:45 AM

Rules of the Buy/Sell section.

I'm not a huge contributor post wise here but have been reading everyday for a while and I noticed in the last month 90% of the forsale post come up with no pics and little details(location of the seller is no1, then price), then a mod posts the rules, the seller then apologises, posts the pics(sometimes) or just says its sold already blablabla...

Why not do it right the first time? Are people that lazy when talking about equipment for sale that's worth hundreds of dollars most of the time?

As a user, I would like to see that rule enforced like I see on other forums, no warnings, just delete the post and PM the seller that his post was incomplete, to read the rules before posting.

I keep coming back here to read everyday because I enjoy the topics and the wealth of information here, keep it up!

miggs78 December 12, 2008 11:06 AM

I respectfully disagree, I've seen mods all over the thread few hours when the thread is opened. In fact after the mods be kind and give extra time to upload images, the threads to actually get locked if no images were uploaded in the allowed time limit.

No Pics = Thread Locked. Most of the threads you see with no images is because either the hosted images have been deleted on the image hosting sites or something else. Every for sale/for trade thread I've seen in the past month or so have had pics posted. Besides you can take it easy Skyllz, imo don't you see how much HWC is expanding with new features coming daily over the past few months and new members joining everyday, you shoule be thanking for the effort they are doing..

Technically it wouldn't be fare if a thread is deleted right away, put yourself in that spot and think, I am sure you will not appreciate that without the Mod giving you a chance your thread got locked/deleted, even though you had the images ready and forgot to or had no time to upload the images. The mods here at least are a little easy, they do give a few extra hours to lots of people and after that time limit, threads are locked.

One thing I do however agree is, users need to post their location before posting any for sale thread, which should be made a rule to follow, it makes it easier and people don't have to wait for the user to put his location and then decide.

I hope we have no hard feelings, we are a community with loads of knowledge and helpful people, let's work that way. Long Live HWC!!

Skyllz December 12, 2008 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by miggs78 (Post 125697)
I respectfully disagree, ....

you shoule be thanking for the effort they are doing..

I am thanking for the efforts, i'm only giving my opinion on something that seems to be running great to try to make it better :thumb: If it would'nt be good, I would'nt take my precious time at work *cough, cough* to post this.

About the rules, I agreed to a certain extent, maybe I did'nt get my point across the way I wanted it with english with my secondary language and all I wanted to say...

After reading your comments he is a more different/direct/comment/question.

Why is there a 24 hours grace period for pics to start with?

miggs78 December 12, 2008 11:25 AM

Aha!! I get you. Sitting at work too *cough cough* :P

Well, as for the grace period, let's just say.. I've seen users who started a thread actually mentioning that pics will be up soon, which they do in less than 24 hours, then I see people who post threads with proper pics, requirements. And then they are those who peobably don't read rules or are new members who should be reading the rules, make a thread with no pics because they didn't read the rules they didn't know we require pics, that is when the mod comes into play, they already have a grace period as you mentioned and then at request, the mod gives them few extra hours, and then thread locked if still doesn't happen.

Now as for your question, grace period is always good to have, you know apart from us kind of people who have access to PCs at work, they are those who come exhausted home, have a family, dad wants to spend time with kids or finish off some stuff after they have some free time they can finally post pics, now you wouldn't expect for someone to post pics early morning right, unless they wish too. It just gives the user enough time. I hope you get what I am saying?

encorp December 12, 2008 12:11 PM

I've seen a lot of stuff get sold before pics even go up. I think they should be deleted if not posted with pictures right way. my 2 cents!

sswilson December 12, 2008 12:18 PM

We generally give a 24 hour notice because like it or not, most new members of a forum don't bother to read the rules. I'd much rather give a new member the benefit of the doubt by giving them some time to rectify the problem than beating them over the head with the fact that they didn't read the rules. Hopefully a friendly "carrot" rather than a automatic "stick" will not only address the issue, but also set the tone that mods here want to keep things moving within the rules, but don't want to LORD over members like they do on some sites.

With that said, two things come to mind......

I personally wouldn't be doing a purchase without first seeing the item, and second, being comfortable with the seller; and........

Once a person has been informed of the rule, they shouldn't come back a second time thinking that the 24 hours is going to be automatic. I accept "Pics will be up in a couple of hours", but repeat offenders will be put on notice to have pictures ready before they post in the buy&sell thread.

BT! December 12, 2008 12:22 PM

i think there should be a "FORCED READ" page with the rules that the seller has to read and agree to before they can post, then there would be no reason they dont know the rules to posting in the B/S&T section. i have seen "FORCED READ" on other forums, not related to hardware, i dont think its that hard to set up and it would be much better than a sticky (that most people skip reading anyway) :blarg:

Squeetard December 12, 2008 12:36 PM

Let them keep the post up, but still beat them with a stick, kinda a welcome hazing.

:)

Chilly December 12, 2008 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Squeetard (Post 125749)
Let them keep the post up, but still beat them with a stick, kinda a welcome hazing.

:)

Agreed. :haha:

In all seriousness, this forum is growing at a rapid rate, and I'm gonna take a guess that most new members don't take the time to read the rules. A friendly nudge in the right direction (the carrot approach) rather than the stick will help keep new members active, rather than scare them right off.

Just my 2 cents.

mklym December 12, 2008 01:20 PM

A suggestion.

Put a 'Forum Rules' section at the top of the 'Hardware Canucks News'. Makes them easier to find. :)