Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS NEWS > Suggestions & Feedback

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 13, 2008, 12:24 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
So what happens if 6 months from now we start getting 50+ ads a day? Sorry but that's starting to sound like an awful lot of work....... :)

The key to all of this is to understand that HWC is not primarily a buy&sell website. We do not have paid Moderators like Kijiji or Ebay would have. Members need to get it into their heads that ads here are on par with newspaper classifieds and act accordingly.
Excellent point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supergrover View Post
100% got your back on this one Steve, policing the BS/WTB section already eats up a huge amount of a Mods time.
I can imagine.

I strongly suggest you guys change nothing. It is working fine as is. No matter where you do online transactions, someone WILL get burned. Someone WILL rip you off. Someone WILL take your money and not send you anything. If these things are just not acceptable, go to the damn store.
Old December 13, 2008, 01:18 PM
"Quote This..."
F@H

~puts away stick~

~acts melancholy~
Old December 16, 2008, 12:57 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Maybe general location should be a mandatory requirement for all members, it sure would save alot of posts and pm's of "where are you located". Other than that I don't think things need "fixing", I too think things are working fine the way they are and we have great mods who put their time and effort into making this a GREAT site for useful information on damn near every computer related category. Keep up the great work guys :)

Old December 21, 2008, 04:50 AM
Allstar

how about a client-side script that checks for image tags or common web image extensions (jpg, gif, png, etc). If these are missing then return an error/reminder page of the rules and ask them to try again.
Gigabyte HD 6970 OC
Gigabyte Z68X-UDH3-B3
Seasonic 760W
Coolermaster Hyper 212+
CM690 w/ 1-80mm, 6-120mm fans.
Old December 21, 2008, 07:25 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by kruzn4evr View Post
Maybe general location should be a mandatory requirement for all members, it sure would save alot of posts and pm's of "where are you located". Other than that I don't think things need "fixing", I too think things are working fine the way they are and we have great mods who put their time and effort into making this a GREAT site for useful information on damn near every computer related category. Keep up the great work guys :)
I've mentioned trying to force a location for creating a thread in the buy/sell area and it's being looked into. Many folks have privacy concerns WRT this kind of policy though and are reluctant to include any information that might endanger their annonymity. We'll see what comes out of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewguy001 View Post
how about a client-side script that checks for image tags or common web image extensions (jpg, gif, png, etc). If these are missing then return an error/reminder page of the rules and ask them to try again.
I'll point this post out to our resident website guru to see what he thinks. Considering the amount of traffic our Buy&Sell threads get it's not that big of an issue (from a mod standpoint... I wouldn't be buying something sight unseen from any internet site). Most first time posters are very good about putting up images within the 24 hour warning period and all of the mods are on-side when it comes to either deleting within 24 hours, or getting a firm committment from posters if for some reason they need a little bit more time.

Gigabyte C1007UN-D / 2X4G Gskill PC3-10700 / Pico PSU / 2.5" 750G Toshiba HDD / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 19" BenQ / 1X 17" HP
Old December 21, 2008, 08:17 AM
Allstar
F@H

Quote:
Many folks have privacy concerns WRT this kind of policy though and are reluctant to include any information that might endanger their annonymity. We'll see what comes out of it.
then those people probably wouldn't/shouldn't be using the buy/sell and trade section.

anyone buying something from someone trying to hide their identity is looking for trouble imo.

Old December 21, 2008, 10:30 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
I've mentioned trying to force a location for creating a thread in the buy/sell area and it's being looked into. Many folks have privacy concerns WRT this kind of policy though and are reluctant to include any information that might endanger their annonymity. We'll see what comes out of it.
A city and province aren't too much to ask, I think. Or a mention that they're out of country. If you're unwilling to be open about that much, that doesn't bode well for any buyers.
Old December 29, 2008, 06:04 AM
Allstar

IMO pics should be right there in the thread we shouldn't have to go searching through an album for them. Should be a mandatory rule if you ask me.
Old December 29, 2008, 06:18 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Not sure if its been mentioned, but since I'm lazy to read, I'll just give my idea.

Anyways, it might be good if every time someone wants to create a new thread in the BST section, it redirects them to a rules page and at the bottom it they have to click on something to show that they have read it or something. Maybe something like "Click 'I disagree' to continue" since if the person didn't read the rules, they wouldn't see that they had to click on whatever and so they can't make a thread.

Not sure if that made sense.. Kind of tired..
Old December 29, 2008, 07:37 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infiniti View Post
Not sure if its been mentioned, but since I'm lazy to read, I'll just give my idea.

Anyways, it might be good if every time someone wants to create a new thread in the BST section, it redirects them to a rules page and at the bottom it they have to click on something to show that they have read it or something. Maybe something like "Click 'I disagree' to continue" since if the person didn't read the rules, they wouldn't see that they had to click on whatever and so they can't make a thread.

Not sure if that made sense.. Kind of tired..
Nah, makes sense, make the rules say that you must "Hit "I disagree" to agree, and "I agree" to disagree", backwards world eh? It would at least force them to be conscious before they post a FS Thread