Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS NEWS > Suggestions & Feedback

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 8, 2008, 10:29 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default i7 CPU Coolers?

I'd REALLY like to see a HWC flavour socket 1366 Cooler roundup. Comparing some old 775 coolers with new brackets with new version etc.

Not sure how easy it'd be to round up 10 or so 1366 capable coolers but I really would like to see specifically a HWC roundup heh.

Plus this will satisfy my upgrade urge for when I finally find a memory kit I want and can build this new system! LOL
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in the immediately preceding post are those of encorp and do not reflect the views and/or opinions of family, friends, or anyone remotely associated with encorp unless explicitly stated. encorp does not make any warranty, express or implied, or assumes any liability or responsibility for the quality, factuality or use of information in the immediately preceding post.
Old December 8, 2008, 11:24 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

I would guess that with the ''upcoming'' O/C review you will have an idea of how it performs with some of the usual preferred heat sink.

If you are really in a hurry, you can always ask question to members here. Altough, the variations in the build/ambient temperature makes it tough to really compare.

I use a GTZ with the 1366 backplate and GTX280 in the same loop, my CPU @ 4.1, 1.38 V-core (turbo and HT turned on) while under full BOINC load, is running around 63 C.

Prefer air cooling ? Charlie3.0 uses a TRUE with the backplate and I know he has a similar O/C going on.

P.S any ETA on that O/C review ?

Sold hardware again.....
Currently using WHS hardware....
Old December 8, 2008, 12:05 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I think every reviewer at HWC is super busy right now, especially when SKYMTL is doing a huge refresh of the GPU reviews, X58 motherboards to be reviewed and the i7 chips as well. That will take a lot of time to complete each and every single one, seeming how we have such a small team of staff to work with each part.

OH YEAH AND XMAS SHOPPING! And shovelling snow...
Old December 8, 2008, 12:08 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by bojangles View Post
I think every reviewer at HWC is super busy right now, especially when SKYMTL is doing a huge refresh of the GPU reviews, X58 motherboards to be reviewed and the i7 chips as well. That will take a lot of time to complete each and every single one, seeming how we have such a small team of staff to work with each part.

OH YEAH AND XMAS SHOPPING! And shovelling snow...
And attending parties

Proud to be [H]ard !
Old December 8, 2008, 12:23 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Yeah no doubt they are super busy.

I have a TRUE as well and intend to buy the 1366 bracket for it, I'm also going to buy the Noctua 1366 cooler too and give it a shot versus the TRUE Black.
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in the immediately preceding post are those of encorp and do not reflect the views and/or opinions of family, friends, or anyone remotely associated with encorp unless explicitly stated. encorp does not make any warranty, express or implied, or assumes any liability or responsibility for the quality, factuality or use of information in the immediately preceding post.
Old December 8, 2008, 12:34 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Now, I think there need to be some dedicated solutions for the new 1366 Chip. It is a stopgap measure making brackets on existing solutions for 775 setups. However the heatspreader on the physical chip (1366) is bigger than the 775 so a new design would be needed to make the interface as efficent as possible. I don't know how many solutions out there use a new design as opposed to making a bracket to mount an old design.

My thoughts,

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old December 8, 2008, 12:42 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soultribunal View Post
Now, I think there need to be some dedicated solutions for the new 1366 Chip. It is a stopgap measure making brackets on existing solutions for 775 setups. However the heatspreader on the physical chip (1366) is bigger than the 775 so a new design would be needed to make the interface as efficent as possible. I don't know how many solutions out there use a new design as opposed to making a bracket to mount an old design.

My thoughts,

ST
While the headspreader is bigger, the die is sligty smaller than the Q6600 die area. This mean than current LGA775 coolers and waterblocks will work the same.

Proud to be [H]ard !
Old December 8, 2008, 12:56 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

At Soultribunal: It is true that the i7 chip has a larger heatspreader, however, the die size underneath of that is still much smaller, and a LGA775 cooler will probably handle it more than enough. We do know that there is more heat produced with the i7, but as we've seen, the 775 HSFs work flawlessly still.
Old December 8, 2008, 12:57 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

UGH I just got ninja'd...because someone sent me a hilarious youtube video lol.
Old December 8, 2008, 01:07 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Fair enough, was just a thought out there afterall. I wasn't sure on the Die, just on the HS size compaison, thanks for the update though, makes me feel more secure when I upgrade one day.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com