Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Suggestions & Feedback (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/suggestions-feedback/)
-   -   Instead of Sweepstakes..... (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/suggestions-feedback/11856-instead-sweepstakes.html)

arekieh November 16, 2008 10:54 AM

Instead of Sweepstakes.....

Hey i have an idea,
Instead of sweepstakes, why dont you make it a competition. Like a case mod competition or something. And at the end all the members vote for the best one? I dunno, just thought it would be cool. What do you guys think
?

Lpfan4ever November 16, 2008 11:05 AM

I don't know about voting, because people may just do it based on who they like the most. Also, the people with more money have a better chance because they can spend more on stuff to mod their case.
Maybe if you have to do something to enter, then that would be different. Showing us your modded case you get you entered into a sweepstakes.

Just my 2 cents.

arekieh November 16, 2008 11:09 AM

Thats true, the rich get richer poor get poorer :( lol
but then again, theres lots of cheaper case mods that are amazing, but it takes alot more work, to make something nice with less $

MacJunky November 16, 2008 12:39 PM

I think this is fine as-is, and if someone wants to start another prize for most original mod or most enhanced for cheap case or whatever competition then it should be separate.

bojangles November 16, 2008 01:02 PM

Maybe allow the draw to require 'X' amount of posts as well?

Lpfan4ever November 16, 2008 01:05 PM

The only thing about the post requirements is that I see lots of spam coming with it, because people who are new will want to get in.

DarKStar November 16, 2008 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arekieh (Post 113117)
Thats true, the rich get richer poor get poorer :( lol

He could be a good Prime Minister ;-))))

Also - Sweepstakes is open to ALL.... Whereas a modding contest would be open to modders. Not everyone is into modding cases or would spend money on modding a case.

MpG November 16, 2008 02:24 PM

It can be pretty easy for modding to turn into a spending contest. Not to downplay the raw talent involved of course, but often, the people who are good at modding are willing to invest a lot more money into a project as well. Whereas the present sweepstakes is focused on simple participation.

encorp November 16, 2008 02:36 PM

Actually, there are A LOT of laws that stipulate how and why you can have competitions or give products away. The laws vary from province to province and are most strict in Quebec. It's why there are "skill" testing questions on a lot of stupid competitions because in some cases they are restricted from giving a product away so they require the skill testing question to make it a contest.

I like our present sweepstakes a lot because I just don't have the time to compete in anything and enjoy getting credit just for being apart of the community to the degree that I am.

Alwaysrun November 16, 2008 02:53 PM

I like the way HWC does its prize sweepstakes just fine. Better than NCIX where you have to spend more to get more chances.

I really don't think people here abuse the user ratings with forum posts to gain more entries into the sweepstakes but I think some may with regards to the Folding tags and extra entries you get for contributing to distributed computing.

Personally I'd love to see a regular contest to get more people into folding. It wouldn't even have to be hardware but could be a shiny new HWC coffee cup or a new fangled HWC T-Shirt or case badge. But thats not to dismiss the possibility of say EVGA wanting to raffle off a nice 280 GTX to the folding Canucks :punk: