Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS NEWS > Suggestions & Feedback

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 15, 2008, 08:23 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default FS/FT/WTB Sub-Forum.

From the looks of it, the FS/FT subforum is starting to get cluttered and hard to read, much like RFD etc. I am constantly trying to look for deals, but the etiquette of that subforum is just horrendous.

EDIT: Mods are currently looking for ideas to renovate the selling forums. Please provide your input and I will edit this as soon as I see ideas that fit!

Ideas considered:
Quote:
-Update of the entire FS/FT forum
-No more donation threads (up to Gav for now)
-"X" number of posts required to post FS/FT threads
-Allow the splitting of FS/FT/WTB forums into sections for easier navigation for a person's need (perhaps even a sort column)
-"Three strikes, you're OUT!" threadcrapping ban NO MORE TC AS OF TODAY!
-Allow closing of thread by OP when items are all sold
-Allow moving sold threads to "SOLD" subforum to keep everything more organized

Last edited by bojangles; November 17, 2008 at 12:24 PM. Reason: Adding considerations. Edited Nov. 17/08.
Old November 16, 2008, 06:43 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I would suggest not allowing anyone but the original poster to make a post in the FS/FT section. That would eliminate the thread crapping.

As for donations, you can just as easily skip over them if they are not your boat.
Old November 16, 2008, 06:54 AM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

Thread crapping: I think the OPs are looking for it when asking ridiculous prices. But it's not a reason for other members to jump on him. I've had over 60 replies in my own FS thread, and not a single negative reply.

Now, I agree with the OP that the FS forum should be divided into FS/FT and WTB sub-forums.
Old November 16, 2008, 08:32 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Is it possible to have a column that says FS/FT/WTB like on RFD? And possibly a sort function of some sort?
Old November 16, 2008, 09:21 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by bojangles View Post
1) Threadcrapping has exponentially increased over the last month and a bit. We need less chat in the FS/FT. PM should be encouraged at all times. I know this is a heavy duty for mods to handle, but it will keep everyone organized.
I agree fully. But we also don't have the largest of inbox's and we don't need to have 10 discussions with people about the same thing. As long as the thread isn't a bunch of flaming I don't see anything wrong with discussions in the for sale thread.

Quote:
2) Titles are sometimes misleading. Perhaps allow editing of the thread title in the FS subforum?
Yeah titles are a mess, I also can't stand the lack of attention to detail in some of the posts. No capitalization or punctuation in the thread title or post itself drives me insane. but I don't what we can do about this except make it a rule and moderate it more.

Quote:
3) We should start putting a post limit to give permission to post FS threads for common posters. This will get rid of some of the scammers, because they are in for a quick dollar. A limit of 20-30 would be great I think. They can use PMs to prove heatware, etc. if under the limit.
VERY, VERY, VERY, Important and good idea. I wuoldn't personally buy off someone who's had only one or two posts and who's name I don't recognize but we should consider limiting who can view, use, and sell through our forsale subforum to make it safer. I think so far we've not had any issues but I think it's only a matter of time before someone gets scammed.

Quote:
4) I realize that donations are sometimes needed, but the amount of donations that have been going on recently is starting to cause more people to ask for donations. If word gets out about our hearts...I'm not even gonna say. I will also suggest that donations should only be given to people with posts well over 250 or more. They show dedication to our community. I was first realizing this in BALISTX's recent rig donation, and then another member was asking for donations a couple days after. IMHO, I thought that the second guy believed since because BALISTX was fortunate, he could be too. I am not trying to offend anyone in this post, but personally I hate to see posts about donations about someone we don't know. They just do not seem legit at all. Now, some of you might be good friends with one another and all, but the amount of donations are getting out of hand here. Again, IMHO.
I remember the post you're talking about. I don't think it's up to the forum mods to limit who and what can donate when. But I do think as a general note we should be careful and obviously not had stuff out left and right. I do remember a few posts looking for free stuff right after the last two builds we did. I personally wouldn't send an item to anyone who wasn't a very regular member. We all know who we are, we see our names all the time so it's pretty obvious.

Quote:
5) Is there anyway that we can possibly make a required outline (such as Item/Description/Picture(s) repeatedly)? A lot of people are saying a lot of stuff that doesn't need to be said. The only messages that should be said are "you got PM", or "PM sent", etc.
I'm not sure I understand what you're saying here. But again, I don't see any issues with discussions in the forsale thread so long as they are on topic and not flamatory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
Thread crapping: I think the OPs are looking for it when asking ridiculous prices. But it's not a reason for other members to jump on him. I've had over 60 replies in my own FS thread, and not a single negative reply.

Now, I agree with the OP that the FS forum should be divided into FS/FT and WTB sub-forums.
I agree too, they do deserve it but we still shouldn't crap on them. Just inform them via PM and well; buyer beware - if you pay a stupid price for something it's your ownfault. I don't however like the idea of dividing it further into subforums; I think it's too much. We just need to be really firm on the forum title starting with "FS:, FT, or WTB" etc.
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in the immediately preceding post are those of encorp and do not reflect the views and/or opinions of family, friends, or anyone remotely associated with encorp unless explicitly stated. encorp does not make any warranty, express or implied, or assumes any liability or responsibility for the quality, factuality or use of information in the immediately preceding post.
Old November 16, 2008, 10:10 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I agree the FS/WTB section needs to be updated, not much has been done since last year.

I will say this the donation threads will be coming to a end, it's up to Gav to provide the details. But remember he's busy as hell.

I think needing x amount of posts is a great idea that is implemented in alot of forums and is acceptable.

Splitting the forums into sections is again a good idea.

Thread crapping: Sorry guys but it is going to end, everytime a member craps a thread in the FS/WTB section they get a note against them, hit 3 and vacation time. Some have broken this limit of 3 and have been let off but this ends today.

I am going to drop a PM Gav's way linking this thread so keep the suggestions coming!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
My knuckles are bleeding from fishing through walls a new CAT6 network cable... I found fresh, untapped electrical outlets...
"It's all in the Reflexes"-Jack Burton
Old November 16, 2008, 10:40 AM
"Quote This..."
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supergrover View Post
Some have broken this limit of 3 and have been let off
Whew.
Old November 16, 2008, 10:45 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Thanks Supergrover, the Super Moderator! Your name makes complete sense now! HAHA.

As he said, please keep the suggestions coming and I will update the original post with the ideas. Or even perhaps the mods can as well. Thanks!
Old November 16, 2008, 10:47 AM
MVP

What about making buying my items mandatory each time they visit the FS/FT subforum ?

Proud to be [H]ard !
Old November 16, 2008, 11:31 AM
Allstar

It's starting to get complicated ... next there are going to be separate forums for video cards, cpu's, hdd's etc bah humbug.

Just control the thread crapping ...