Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS NEWS > Suggestions & Feedback

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 17, 2008, 01:07 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Don't know if it should be a rule, but it should be highly encouraged to put where you are from (city and province) at the start of the post or include it in your profile if your going to be selling something.
Old November 17, 2008, 07:41 PM
Allstar

1. I don't know about needing X amount of posts. Take XS for example. I have been a member there for over two years, and yet I only have 25 posts -- only a quarter of what I need to gain access to their FS/T subforum. However, I have a ton more posts here, at [H], and various other places, including plenty of FS/T feedback. This is why I'm not a big fan of minimum post requirements. If someone only has 2 or 3 posts, make sure they have feedback elsewhere which they can confirm, or get them to ship first.

2. RFD's BS/T forum is a stupid mess. They added features that let you categorize your threads, but you can't DO anything with those features! Seriously, what was the point? You can set your location and shipping preference, but it isn't mandatory and forum bugs cause those to be erased from time to time. You can set it to be FS/FT/WTB, but what if it's all three? It's just silly. I would like if we had RFD's location system, but it should be mandatory.

3. I have suggested it elsewhere, and it's not difficult to accomplish at all: search a forum but first post in thread only. So, for example, I could have my for sale items in the first post of my thread, and a list of sold items in the second post. That way, when I search for something, I don't end up with threads where people replied with one of my keywords -- I only get the first post in the thread searched.

4. Ability to edit thread titles.

5. Ability to lock threads. (And also the ability to search only unlocked threads.)

6. Ability to sort by first post edit time, including in searches.
1x 8800 Ultra --> Sony GDM-FW900 + LVM-37w3se // HT Omega Striker ~ (optical) Pioneer SE-DIR800C ~+ SE-DHP800 / HD 280 Pro
Old November 17, 2008, 08:00 PM
Hall Of Fame

Minimum post rule would be nice. It doesn't have to be unreasonable, but it adds a certain validity to a person once they've made a couple dozen posts, beyond the more obvious things like Heat scores. When I see a poster with only a couple posts suddenly trying to sell a load of hardware, my gut reaction is "What, you can't sell it anywhere else?". Not that it's necessarily a valid reaction, but there's a certain level of trust involved in the whole online buying/selling scene, which isn't necessarily present upon a person first joining any forum.

Making location mandatory wouldn't hurt. Every now and then, a seller isn't from Canada, which is obviously a concern when it comes to shipping. On the other hand, it might even help facilitate a face-to-face sale, if the seller and potential buyer are from the same city.
Old November 30, 2008, 08:42 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

I didn't want to start another thread so I'll just comment here. Why give people 24 hours to post pictures, prices and details of sales? When people have their pictures, details, ect ready then post away but if they don't then why even start a thread. I don't see whats so hard about following the rules straight out the gate and giving them a grace period to come correct just fosters laziness and creates more work for the mods. Not to mention that giving someone a 24 hour bid fishing pass to receive offers via pm is a potential concern. I'm also in agreement with adopting a minimum post prerequisite before starting a FS thread, mandatory location and all sales listed in Canadian dollars. /ramble off
Old November 30, 2008, 12:01 PM
Top Prospect

Didn't have time to read it all through but what about having a sub-forum for the sold threads? Once a week or so someone checks on the thread and if there is no reply, or action then the thread is moved. I have seen this on another forum and it keeps the forum clean and easy to scour through the active sales.
Old November 30, 2008, 06:38 PM
Hall of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alwaysrun View Post
I didn't want to start another thread so I'll just comment here. Why give people 24 hours to post pictures, prices and details of sales? When people have their pictures, details, ect ready then post away but if they don't then why even start a thread. I don't see whats so hard about following the rules straight out the gate and giving them a grace period to come correct just fosters laziness and creates more work for the mods. Not to mention that giving someone a 24 hour bid fishing pass to receive offers via pm is a potential concern. I'm also in agreement with adopting a minimum post prerequisite before starting a FS thread, mandatory location and all sales listed in Canadian dollars. /ramble off

Three things are sure in this world - Death, Taxes and the fact that people DO NOT read stickies. Also, in the sticky itself, the photo notice falls about halfway down.. around the point where people loose interest.
Maybe we need to look into posting a "NOTICE" when ever a FS item is posted reminding sellers of the requirements.

Some leeway is needed for new members or first time sellers, or someone who was just forgetful - hence a 24hr timeframe.

The photo requirement is to assist buyers, not to conform to some legal rule. If someone is not following BST rules and can't provide a photo, it is probably NOT a good idea to buy from them. If you choose to respond to a seller and go through with a transaction without the photo evidence, you are taking the risk upon yourself and have only yourself to blame if things wind up going wrong.