Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS NEWS > Suggestions & Feedback

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 14, 2008, 08:25 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadaveca View Post
It's REALLY expensive to try to compete @ hwbot, I know all about that one. Got as high as 53(admittedly hwnot was just in it's infancy)!!

3oh6 is in top 50, was 37th, just recently!

I bet 3oh6 has had more hardware flow through his hands...

Basically, you could probably spend $15k and get within the top ten.

If you got $15k to do that, and then the $5k every six months it has to maintain that spot, you have too much money!!!

FAH points would be an awesome way to "compete" though, and it doesn't cost anywhere near as much! Long-term stability FTW!!!
FAH would be one benchmark. but i would also like to see others, like superpi, 3dmarks and what not. some have less good cpu's but better graphic cards or vice-versa.
Old November 14, 2008, 08:55 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadaveca View Post
FAH points would be an awesome way to "compete" though, and it doesn't cost anywhere near as much! Long-term stability FTW!!!
Works for me...

Old November 15, 2008, 07:44 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finch View Post
i like your idea. it is true that you need top hardware to win on hwbot.

ok so we go for that. benchmark threads but not with hwbot, just between members

1+ vote for that bro
|::|CPU: i7 920 "D0"@?|::|MOBO: EVGA Classified|::|RAM: 6GB G.Skill Trident ddr3|::|GPU: BFG GTX 275|::|HDD: 2xSamsung F1 1TB|::|PSU: Ultra X3 1000W|::|Sound: Xonar DX|::|Powered by Heatkiller 3.0 LT/EK GTX275/EK Classified/Feser One X-360 TFC|::|Silverstone TJ 07
LCD: Samsung T260 25,5|::|Logitech Z5500
Project: Classified by Hausner - work in progress.
Old November 15, 2008, 07:52 AM
Banned
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finch View Post
FAH would be one benchmark. but i would also like to see others, like superpi, 3dmarks and what not. some have less good cpu's but better graphic cards or vice-versa.
Well, like I siad, if you have the cash to compete, you could then sponsor your own team, and have them start with low-grade stuff.take overclocking back to what it USED to be..getting more for less...like E5200's, vanilla boards, 9500GTs...rigs that cost less than $500...performing like $1000 rigs...

After so many years of overclocking, and having no real pay offs, I have found that doing so competitively is only beneficial to the OEMs.

Don't get me wrong, I love to overclock; I've had my BlackOPs since early august, and am STILL not done playing with it...

But it's me who's enjoying it. 5 months later, dropping $60 on a cpu(the cost of a game) and overclocking it, is great. But @ hwbot, you gots to have $$$$.

3oh6 is the perfect example...check his hwbot profile, you'll see many #1 medals in 3dmark2001...#1!!!! He;s got the fastest scores with a few vgas!!!

he got 68 points, for 2x GTX260 #1 in 3DMark2001.

but he only got 14.6 points, for #1 with 2x4850s...

HWNOT is just that...NOT for real. NOT about benching. NOT about accuracy in it's points. It's about catering to the OEMs, and those that have noticed, get more points for benches with thier product.

You want overclocking to be about the OEM that pays HWNOT, more power to ya, but i'd rather have it about the overclocker himself.

I won't be a marketing mule, but I am more than willing to help those that can use my overclocking experiences to their benefit.

Really...go through all the forums, and collect posts of those guys helping someone out. I know I am really not of thier HWNOT calibre, but add me to the mix too.

You'll find thousands of posts, on forums all over the world, with me giving help.

You WILL NOT be able to say the same for the "top guys".

If you want to support those guys, please do, but I post here because the community here is one that is here to help others.

HWNOT does not help others.

HWNOT is NOT about community.

It's about spending $$$.

Money doesn't make a man, his actions do.

Old November 15, 2008, 10:18 AM
Top Prospect

it will just add some fun to those that wants to overclock their current system. it doesnt matter if you dont have a killer rig. it will only make you want to surpass your current overclock. if you want to buy better hardware then do so. if you dont want then dont. you are not obligated to participate and there is no reward attached to this.

i would also recommend benchmarks by cathegory. for example in the superpi benchmark thread their would be cathegories of processeurs (pentium 3, p4, athlonxp, amd 939... etc) so one can compeat in its respective cathegory and be first in it and it would be fare. of course i would also include overall ranks meaning all members would be in their respective cpu cathegory and at the same time in the overall ranking cathegory. i would do the same for video cards when it comes to 3dmark benchmarks.

like that it is fare to everyone, it is also fun to overclock old school rigs.