Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS NEWS > Suggestions & Feedback

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 18, 2008, 11:30 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Default Larger review photos.

I'm sure you guys have thought of this, but I'll mention it anyways.

I love the format HWC does their reviews in, and given their textual depth I think it'd be a logical step to implement larger resolution photos, as high def as possible.

I don't mean to change the current way photos are viewed, I really like it. But when I review products I find I really, really appreciate many photos, from as many angles as possible, in as high a quality as possible. I can't stand when I see a case review from another site for example and the photos are like a 360 of the case and that's in. A couple zoom ins in integral points of good or bad will help us make our own decisions about things when we're buying.

-Cam

Edit: Added 'from another site' in there lol.

Last edited by encorp; September 18, 2008 at 12:05 PM.
Old September 18, 2008, 11:45 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

All our photos are zoomable.

As for our case reviews, can you give me an example? All the reviews we have published dealing with enclosures have a crapload of photos IMO.
Old September 18, 2008, 12:04 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

No no, I realize they are zoomable. But not by enough I think! I'd like a second stage that gets right up close and personal hehe. Also as far as the case reviews go I was more referring to other websites, I guess I should have said that? I'll edit it to reflect.

The number of photos here is fine, I just would like to if possible even read the letters off the caps/mem on mobos/vid cards LOL. I dunno, It's like virtual molesting of products I guess! haha
Old September 18, 2008, 12:29 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I wouldn't mind if they zoomed in larger too. I'm sure your taking 5MP+ pictures so why not post say a 3MP picture or something? I realize bandwidth can get pricey however I think you can do better than 640x480. I'd say 1024x768 at least IMO.
Old September 18, 2008, 12:32 PM
F@H

My System Specs

It's not so much a bandwidth issue as it is a viewable screensize issue. Every attempt is made on current websites to ensure that the dreaded scroll bars don't appear.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 1X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / Uncased 256GB Sandisk Z400S SSD / Mini-Box M350 / 24" Westinghouse L2410NM
Old September 18, 2008, 12:39 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Yeah, I take the shots @ 5MP, but we need them to fit on an average users' screen. Some people still use low res crts. ;)
Old September 18, 2008, 01:00 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Yeah that's why I think if maybe you did things the way you do now but stuck a small link, tiny font underneath the image (or maybe if you have a more creative/attractive idea) that said "Larger Image here" I'm not sure. I don't really think you should change how it functions now or add another zoom stage, just something that maybe people with smaller res crts don't really bother looking at. I mean in all honesty, who really reads hardware reviews and still uses that crap? LOL j/k hehe
Old September 18, 2008, 01:17 PM
MVP
F@H

my bud, god bless his ancient ass machine .. would lose his mid at high rez pix.. he is still on an old 15 crt.. shakes head..

Old September 18, 2008, 01:31 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

I still use a crt on 1 machine too haha, I can feel the radiation coming offa it.
Old September 18, 2008, 01:35 PM
MVP
F@H

taht warm glowing feeling of rays.. mmm i have a a crt that i use from my dos days.. green TEXT BABY