Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Storage (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/storage/)
-   -   Western Digital 640GB (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/storage/9861-western-digital-640gb.html)

miggs78 September 4, 2008 09:11 PM

Western Digital 640GB

Ok guys looking to purchase a 640gb HDD, now I would like to get the Seagate, but this looks a nice deal, local store avoiding shipping..

http://www.memoryexpress.com/Product...20687(ME).aspx for $79.95, almost one of the cheapest prices, and only $7 for a 2yr instant replacement plan, instant replacement sounds good.

What do you guys say, they might be a cheaper price somewhere else, but I have to pay shipping unfortunately.

Jon_di2 September 4, 2008 09:35 PM

Did you check out this post... WD SE16 640GB vs. Seagate 7200.11 640GB http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/storage/9825-wd-se16-640gb-vs-seagate-7200-11-640gb-somewhat-complete-analysis.html

Seems to me like it directly applies to you... no real reason to create a new thread even. But since you did, I have the WD 640 and it works great, no problems, but read the review so you can decide on your own. The guy who compared the two says to go with the WD over the Seagate too...

Quote:

Originally Posted by S_G (Post 85835)
It's pretty obvious that the drive to get is the SE16. Compared to the 7200.11, it has AAM (so, inherently it is quieter), vastly superior access times with AAM off, read times are just as good if not better, and write speeds are only marginally slower.

Jack Rabbit September 4, 2008 09:36 PM

Price matching for an $80 unit is not worth the time. If you can put your cash on the counter and walk out of the store with your item you should go for it.

S_G September 4, 2008 10:51 PM

These drives are consistently at $73 on sale at NCIX. NCIX.com - Buy Western Digital Caviar SE16 640GB SATA2 7200RPM 16MB Hard Drive OEM 3YR MFR Warranty - WD6400AAKS In Canada.

As for shipping, yeah, you do have to pay for it at NCIX, but you avoid PST (edit: if you live outside of BC).

miggs78 September 5, 2008 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon_di2 (Post 86435)
Did you check out this post... WD SE16 640GB vs. Seagate 7200.11 640GB http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/storage/9825-wd-se16-640gb-vs-seagate-7200-11-640gb-somewhat-complete-analysis.html

Seems to me like it directly applies to you... no real reason to create a new thread even. But since you did, I have the WD 640 and it works great, no problems, but read the review so you can decide on your own. The guy who compared the two says to go with the WD over the Seagate too...

You know it would be nice if you actually read what I've written before posting something, I've seen that thread like more than 3 times, I know which one is better, my thread wasn't about which hard drive to go for, but the best possible way to save some cash.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack Rabbit (Post 86436)
Price matching for an $80 unit is not worth the time. If you can put your cash on the counter and walk out of the store with your item you should go for it.

Just what I thought would be the best Jack, thanks for supporting me. :thumb:

Oversized Rooster September 6, 2008 01:17 PM

$7 instant replacement thing is useless because Western Digital will do this anyway under the warranty terms with Advanced RMA.

WD over Seagate. :thumb:

hybrid2d4x4 September 6, 2008 04:05 PM

With WD's warranty, isn't it the customer that pays shipping (maybe even both ways?) to get a replacement probably 4-6 few weeks later? If that's the case, the $7 for their instant replacement doesn't sound too shabby considering that it will cost you far more than $7 to ship the HDD for warranty service, and you'll likely get a refurbished unit in return from WD, whereas you get a new drive, not to mention that you suffer almost no downtime with the instant replacement. Having said that, the drive should outlive the duration of the replacement plan, and statistically speaking, the vast majority do, otherwise offering the instant replacement for only $7 would not be a profitable venture for MemExpress. It's a good safety net, but it's one you'll likely never use...

Oversized Rooster September 6, 2008 06:11 PM

I have used WD warranty several times. They first send you a replacement drive at their cost. Then you can send it back too because they give you a pre-paid stamp thingy.

It takes about 3 business days to get your replacement HD and then you have 30 days to return the bad one. :biggrin:

miggs78 September 7, 2008 01:16 PM

Really!!.. Well I'm buying the WD drives anyways.

I just checked and your right Oversized Rooster

Quoting

Quote:

We ship the replacement product to you first before receiving your defective product. You have 30 days to send us your defective product. A credit card is required to insure that WD receives the returned product within 30 days from the date on which the replacement product is shipped. Please see below for more details about the service:
That is for Advanced RMA, you need a CC which wouldn't be charged, it's just to cover their butts since they are shipping it to you first. But it doesn't say anywhere that they will send you a pre-paid stamped envelope

Jon_di2 September 7, 2008 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by miggs78 (Post 86684)
You know it would be nice if you actually read what I've written before posting something, I've seen that thread like more than 3 times, I know which one is better, my thread wasn't about which hard drive to go for, but the best possible way to save some cash.

Sorry my bad, I guess I just misread it. Also I probably worded my response wrong, I was trying to say go for the WD as I thought it was better anyways, and it was at a good price / you wern't paying for shipping. Just trying to say it seemed like the best deal you could get. Sorry if my response came out badly & wasn't what you were looking for.