Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 25, 2008, 11:28 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by miggs78 View Post
Gr8 thanks S_G.. So I guess this is how it is for 640gb usage right?

1 drive = WD
2 or more = Seagate

NCIX currently have them on sale till the 30th Sept for $72, and I calculated, with shipping included it costs about roughly $170.00 for 2 drives, its odd my local store sells WD @ $79.95 ea. with tax it ends up to be about $168. pretty close call. I'm trying to decide what route to go. Or 500 gbs.
Get the WD's...they're fast.. save $2, and you can have them setup by tonight.
Old September 26, 2008, 11:06 AM
Allstar

Pretty much, miggs. If you want RAID, give the 7200.11s a go. If you want silence (even in RAID), or if you just want 1 to run in AHCI, get the WD.

Seagate got back to me today:
The only thing that I have seen when running in AHCI is if the drivers were not all installed or if there were BIOS issues then the drive has trouble running if it is not supported by the controller or the motherboard. The drives themselves do support that mode.
I replied back explaining the situation further. Seagate does not seem to want to accept fault, or they don't want to look into it.
Old September 26, 2008, 11:16 AM
Hall Of Fame

Sorry S_G, too lazy to read back, if you don't mind can you please tell me what's the prob with these hard drives again, what exactly are you contacting Seagate for..

This is probably known by everybody, but just something dumb.. You know running a SATA drive in IDE mode, no drivers are required even during windows installation, however in AHCI you do need proper drivers to be loaded in Windows setup (using F6)..

Sorry...
Samsung 931BW 19" LCD, Logitech MX Revolution
Old September 26, 2008, 12:11 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

yesyes, but are those drivers not the same for a 640GB 7200.11 as they are for the 500GB 7200.11s? What could have changed that much without notice?

And seriously, the information is on pages 1,2 and 3. It is not much work, it is not like this thread is 32 pages long.
Old September 26, 2008, 12:52 PM
Hall Of Fame

Mac, I was being lazy to scroll, and yea I will read it for myself, junk :P.. j/k

The thing is drivers are not meant for particulat hard drives, any hard drive you get will require drivers to be loaded, but for the SATA controller, not for the hard drives. Simply say as long as you have the correct SATA or AHCI drivers any hard drive can be used. So they should be no problem by using a 640gb instead of a 500gb, since it is the same drivers you are using.

One thing I did notice is that when loading drivers in windows setup, take example of ICHR8/9/10. They are 2 options you get, one is load AHCI drivers, and the other is load RAID controller drivers. Now the first time when I got this board, I had mine setup in AHCI mode, and I tried using the RAID controller drivers for some reason for 1 hard drive, and as soon as it finished displaying the load Windows XP screen it would gimme a BSOD (which sorry I can't recall).. When I tried using AHCI drivers it is when it worked..

Now I am not saying this is the same problem people are expecting, but it could be that they are not installing drivers properly, or are using wrong driver versions. Also you have to install SATA drivers in windows.. It could be anything.
Old September 26, 2008, 01:25 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

hmm.. this is a pickle.. my pc is running soo slow now. the 320gb drives aren't cutting it in raid 0.. they need to be reformatted.. im thinking i'll go with the seagates.. i've always been partial to them anyways. i've never used a WD in any build i've done..
Old September 26, 2008, 01:35 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phobia View Post
hmm.. this is a pickle.. my pc is running soo slow now. the 320gb drives aren't cutting it in raid 0.. they need to be reformatted.. im thinking i'll go with the seagates.. i've always been partial to them anyways. i've never used a WD in any build i've done..
I'll finish the last sentence you ".. and for the love of God I will never use WD again" :P
Old September 26, 2008, 01:55 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by miggs78 View Post
I'll finish the last sentence you ".. and for the love of God I will never use WD again" :P
Nah... the end is " and if only i'd known what i was missing."
Old September 26, 2008, 06:06 PM
Allstar

Believe me, I have the right drivers installed. It is not a problem only I have have seen. In fact, I didn't know it was an AHCI problem until someone else pointed out that others had experienced a similar issue. Looks like the drive itself has AHCI problems, but performs fine in RAID and IDE modes.
Old September 26, 2008, 06:11 PM
Hall Of Fame

I was just giving describing my problem, not saying everybody has the same problem as me, please don't get me wrong.

The problem seems to be in the hard drive firmware itself. It either needs to be updated (so seagate has to do something about this) or re-written. Seagate better get to the bottom of this issue otherwise they are really gonna loose business to Western Digital.