Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 3, 2008, 06:30 PM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
good review but like some things.. only seagate goes into my machine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by miggs78 View Post
Thanks S_G. Guess WD pulled on this one, seagate usually makes solid drives, I wonder what happened.

No RAID, no worries S_G, at least in individual drives the WD is faster, makes sense why WD would also be faster in RAID, if not better at least just a tad bit slower, and truly except for benchmarks those little bit faster drives aren't really noticed regularly!!.

But I'm also looking to Seagate myself.. 2 of them.
I know, I'm a Seagate man myself. I'm disappointed with the results. Most of the drives I've purchased in my life have been Seagates. However, with the exception of WD, everyone has screwed up in some way with HDDs this generation; Samsung's F1s are prone to error and sudden death, Seagate lacks AAM and these 2-platter drives don't perform as well as expected, Hitachi's 5-platter 1TB drive is ridiculous and their updated ".B" version line with 375GB platters has yet to be seen -- though, WD's "5400-7200RPM" marketing on the GP drives was blatantly misleading, so -10 points for that!

Well, if you want write speeds and/or cooler temps over read speeds and access time, then the Seagates are not a bad idea. The gap should widen in RAID 0 in favor of the Seagates in writing, but don't hold me to that. We all know how picky some drives are about RAID.

Quote:
Originally Posted by klaiboi View Post
Just out of curiousity how are we supposed to disable AAM on the SE16? I have one and HD Tune says it's on but I can't change it
IIRC, HD Tune cannot change AAM settings if you are using the AHCI/RAID drivers. Has to be the plain-vanilla ATA. There's an easier solution (well, it's easier, but still annoying). Get the Hitachi Feature Tool, burn it to a DVD or CD. Boot it. You can change AAM settings there (note that 128 is quietest/slowest, 254 is loudest/fastest).

The older firmware drives came with AAM disabled. The newer ones, like mine, have it enabled by default.

So, yeah, it's not too hard to change it. This applies to all of you who were concerned about AAM (you know who you are ).
Old September 4, 2008, 12:03 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

I hope I'm not off-topic. Below is my WD 6400AAKS 22A7B0 on P5Q-E.

Name:  wd6400AAKS.png
Views: 7239
Size:  42.2 KB

Very happy with it. Silent and fast. At least for me. :)
Old September 7, 2008, 10:09 AM
Top Prospect

Nice review, thanks !
Old September 7, 2008, 05:53 PM
Associate Review Editor

My WD6400AAKS has great access times, but merely decent average transfer rate.

Old September 7, 2008, 09:02 PM
Hall Of Fame

Mine has both quick access times, and big transfer rates. This is on my GA P35-DS3L(ICH9).
You aren't, by chance, using SATA 150 are you?

Old September 7, 2008, 11:13 PM
Hall Of Fame

it seems something different than your...

btw... i dont have ps... so this is... feel like to show off as well...
NEW: customize case, hx100, i7 920, supreme hf, x58 sabertooth, 3gbx2 ram of ripjaws, xfx hd6950 CF. vertex 2 60gb, seagate and hitachi 1tb, dual mcp355 with ek rex v2, 2x koolance ar697, 2x mcr320, 6x zm-f3 fans.
OLD: cm 690, hx620, intel q9450, True Black, ga-ep45-ud3p, 2gbx2 ram of mushkin xp2 8500, xfx 285. wd caviar se16 640gb, 4x zm-f3 fans.
Old September 7, 2008, 11:38 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I recently got 640GB 7200.11 & 250GB 7200.10 'Cudas in the mail, I thought that perhaps I might mention the 640 since this thread involves it. My other Barracudas have been included to show where the 640 stands in comparison to the others since I have no new WD drives.
mobo: P5K w/ P5KR 0605 BIOS.
ST3640323AS is SATA
ST3500320AS are SATA
ST3250410AS is SATA
ST3250620A is PATA

As you can see here it looks like the 640 7200.11 does not like AHCI.

And the re-test. I have not posted more pictures of redone testing because they are basically all the same.

Here we have some HDTach results for the 640 and 250 both in AHCI mode.

I am going to look into doing some write testing on the 640 7200.11 and then get back to you.
Old September 7, 2008, 11:52 PM
Hall Of Fame

Wow! Great results on the Seagate 640 retest. I wonder why the Burst speed is so low, especially with 32MB cache? The RAT is kinda slow as well... but the transfer rates are exceptional.
Old September 8, 2008, 01:57 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

The RAT was killed by AHCI mode for some reason. It must be a firmware bug because the other SATA drives are fine with AHCI.
Here is a quick test with everest:

As you can see it is mixing my dirves model numbers and sizes up but I verified the correct drive by holding only it and doing a random access test to feel the vibrations. The sizes it shows are correct and the model numbers are wrong.

S_G, could we get you to disable AHCI and do some tests to see if you are seeing the same thing as me with the 640GB 7200.11?

Unless I can find out what is wrong with 640GB 7200.11&AHCI mode I think I will just leave AHCI off for it when I put it into service.

*Edit

Ok! Erewego! Rebooted(again), turned off AHCI for my ICH9 controller, unplugged my flashdrives&stuff. Now it properly matched the model numbers to the drives&sizes.
Man, I really need one of the WD drive that S_G was comparing to the 'Cuda in this thread that we kinda jacked so I can make proper comparisons.

mkay, cleared those results and ran the test again, this is non-AHCI ST3640323AS vs ST3500320AS(one AHCI, the other not. I do not know what one is what.. but the results for them are so similar it looks like it does not matter.)

Last edited by MacJunky; September 8, 2008 at 02:51 AM.
Old September 8, 2008, 08:44 PM
Allstar

Looks like you guys might be onto something. We should email Seagate about this, definitely something fishy going on with the firmware.

And I think I may have gotten rid of the 7200.11 a little too soon. Popped it into a build for my neighbor, so I won't be able to do any further tests on it. Sorry!

Now, if it's acting like that in AHCI, I wonder if it'll react the same way in RAID... Looks like the 7200.11 might actually have an edge over WD's SE16 if they can fix these problems.